kf7mjf wrote:
I'm 6'9"

:0

In his heels. Statuesque.

Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:46 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Annalee wrote:
Mine is an IWB holster that just needs a tug... no tabs or snaps. Might be a good idea to get a separate OC holster.

Yeah that would be a good idea. I had an unsecured holster once and I used it once or twice, but switched to something with a strap retention really fast.

"...steam, artillery and revolvers give to civilized man an irresistible power." -Perry Collins

Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:12 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PMB wrote:
Mr. Q wrote:
kf7mjf wrote:
I'm 6'9"

:0

In his heels. Statuesque.

No silly man. In my heels I break 7'. It's fabulous.

"...steam, artillery and revolvers give to civilized man an irresistible power." -Perry Collins

Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:13 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

I agree with getting a good retention holster that's meant for your OC walks. It does get easier, especially hen you realize that 99.9% of the people out there have ZERO situational awareness, and won't even see you carrying a gun.

I have been OC'ing, when possible/applicable for 6 years now and it's nothing now. Your situational awareness will always be at a heightened state though, and that's ok.

Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:20 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:
I agree with getting a good retention holster that's meant for your OC walks. It does get easier, especially hen you realize that 99.9% of the people out there have ZERO situational awareness, and won't even see you carrying a gun.

Pretty much this. Was at a new shooter training class with a friend, you know, one of those two hours in a room deals and a few minutes of shooting. After the shoot, as we're walking out he goes, "Holy shit man, these range dudes have pistols on their hip".

People can be pretty unobservant. My friend is likely an outlier but that puts the mean and median pretty far into the "oblivious" category.

Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:30 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I OC a 1911 in a Blackhawk Serpa CQC:
http://www.blackhawk.com/Products/Holst ... inish.aspx

Most people have the situational awareness of an ostrich with its head in the sand. Most people won't notice, the last person that noticed was a lady in one of the electric shopping scooters. She whispered to her husband "nice grips". I thought that was pretty funny.

Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:04 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

golddigger14s wrote:
I OC a 1911 in a Blackhawk Serpa CQC:
http://www.blackhawk.com/Products/Holst ... inish.aspx

Most people have the situational awareness of an ostrich with its head in the sand. Most people won't notice, the last person that noticed was a lady in one of the electric shopping scooters. She whispered to her husband "nice grips". I thought that was pretty funny.

This.

Most people who even notice are right about eye level with the gun.

Or the occasional person checking out your hind end.

Get a good retention holster and OC away. It becomes more second nature the more you do it. I actually feel more akward cc than OC.

Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

kf7mjf wrote:
Annalee wrote:
Haha... yeah, I'm 5'6" and female... hence the nervousness. But I'm sure you're right, and that it's quite rare.

Get a good retention holster, practice how to use it, and carry yourself like you are not victim material. Confidence goes a LONG way in providing security.

This.

I pocket CC. I was very paranoid for the first couple of months. I just knew I was "showing".

It really does get easier. Keep your "Antenna's" out at all times, and it will become second nature.

You'll be fine.

Dammittalltohell........... I just agreed with that high-heeled historian, again.

From a blog: Political Correctness - the belief that one can pick up a turd by the clean end.

Benjamin Franklin: It is the (civic) responsibility of every citizen to question authority.

Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:42 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

danoh wrote:
kf7mjf wrote:
Annalee wrote:
Haha... yeah, I'm 5'6" and female... hence the nervousness. But I'm sure you're right, and that it's quite rare.

Get a good retention holster, practice how to use it, and carry yourself like you are not victim material. Confidence goes a LONG way in providing security.

This.

I pocket CC. I was very paranoid for the first couple of months. I just knew I was "showing".

It really does get easier. Keep your "Antenna's" out at all times, and it will become second nature.

You'll be fine.

Dammittalltohell........... I just agreed with that high-heeled historian, again.

I'm giving up heels. They don't make my butt look as good as I thought they would.

Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:51 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

kf7mjf wrote:
danoh wrote:

I'm giving up heels. They don't make my butt look as good as I thought they would.

I don't think knowing you're in pumps now makes him feel any better.

Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:55 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Annalee wrote:
Mine is an IWB holster that just needs a tug... no tabs or snaps. Might be a good idea to get a separate OC holster.

Never a bad idea. I'm in the market for one myself. Many places that do classes around here (FAS, maybe Insights also) require an OWB holster.

Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:57 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have my CCW, and carry every day. While my boys are small, my carry gun has a safety on it. This is NOT for "oh, it's safe for the boys to play with it". I'm concerned about the times that I pick up a child, and there's a remote possibility that a pant leg may catch on the handle and pull it out of the holster. That's never happened, but...

I haven't OC yet out in public, only at home - still feel awkward about the public part. I'm sure that some day I'll get there! My OC holster is the Blackhawk Serpa. I like that it has a retention, and that I have to push the button to pull the gun out. With the gun being outside, the kid's pant leg will have a greater chance of catching on the gun. That's why I believe having a retention system of some kind is important when you have kiddos. And - when I OC, my boys bang their heads on the gun (usually the sharp rear sight!) more often!

Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:58 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PMB wrote:
:patriot:
I remember the feeling of the first time. (OC, I mean)

My first time was with PMB, Eddie Dean, Soldier Citizen, Old Jim and a few other people :bigsmile:

At the OC picnic a couple years ago.

On my way there I had to stop and get gas, I was just sure someone would yell "he's got a gun" but I don't think anyone even noticed.

Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:49 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PTmorgan wrote:
I have my CCW, and carry every day. While my boys are small, my carry gun has a safety on it. This is NOT for "oh, it's safe for the boys to play with it". I'm concerned about the times that I pick up a child, and there's a remote possibility that a pant leg may catch on the handle and pull it out of the holster. That's never happened, but...

I haven't OC yet out in public, only at home - still feel awkward about the public part. I'm sure that some day I'll get there! My OC holster is the Blackhawk Serpa. I like that it has a retention, and that I have to push the button to pull the gun out. With the gun being outside, the kid's pant leg will have a greater chance of catching on the gun. That's why I believe having a retention system of some kind is important when you have kiddos. And - when I OC, my boys bang their heads on the gun (usually the sharp rear sight!) more often!

Good insight. I'm pondering getting a G43, but I may carry my XDS more just because there is one more safety (4 vs 3). Got a little dude, and I'm sure he could depress a glock trigger. He has consistently amazed me with things I thought he couldn't do yet.

I'm sticking with my N82 holster for now because it does have active retention.

Not sure about OC with the little dude though. I suppose I could OC my 1911 with Serpa and see how he does with it.

Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:55 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's a cool story, I've only OCd a handful of times out of necessity but I don't discourage it.

Someone on here elsewhere said that OC is the front line of the gun rights issue. What they meant I think is that when people see you doing it and NOT turning into some sort of homicidal maniac or hoisting your kid around and laughing and just acting like a normal human than it furthers the good view of firearms even subconsciously.

Its why I have considered OCing more often honestly.

In regards to weapon retention, the most important thing is to be aware of things around you. I carry appendix so the weapon is always right in front of me but even strong side hip, just be aware of who is near and if someone is really in or near your personal space when, for example, you're standing in line at Safeway or something, you can bring your elbow of the side you're carrying down and reasonably shield your weapon at least from immediate removal from the holster.

Good idea with getting a holster specifically for OC with maybe a thumbreak just remember to go out and TRAIN with it.

I don't recommend Serpa either... Just ask Tex Grebner

Good luck and congrats! We need more like you!

Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:20 am
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2