Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:49 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 I open carried today 

So I open carried today for the first time, kind of out of necessity. I took my toddler for a walk (pushing her in the stroller) and realized my wallet was lost. Even though I was very uncomfy with it, I decided to open carry rather than CC illegally. I just walked for half an hour or so around my roads in Edmonds (mainly back residential roads but also for awhile on Edmonds Way.) I was very nervous, I kept trying to kind of hide my gun with my elbow and the push handle of the stroller. A cop passed me once, highly doubt he noticed me. There was one lady on the back residential road that was walking behind me really closely for about two minutes. I finally turned around and said "hi" and she walked off in the other direction without answering me. It was kind of weird.

Anyway, not like I went into stores or anything, but that was my experience and I wanted to share.

Last edited by Annalee on Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:49 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

:patriot:
I remember the feeling of the first time. (OC, I mean.)

Thanks for stepping outside of your comfort zone. It seems to me that it's much more important to carry a Tool of Freedom and protect that dear child (and yourself) than it is to succumb to fear and discomfort (especially other people's) by leaving the Tool of Freedom at home.

Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:53 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats. It gets easier. Just treat it like your cellphone hanging off your belt. I've been open carrying about 7 years, before the cops in this state got on the clue train and figured out it was legal. Got hassled by the cops in Oly twice. Now is a golden era for OC in this state, and on the odd chance you find a cop who screws with you, their department will clean it up fast, lest they get sued. I wouldn't sweat it if you do it again. Lots of folks do it, and most folks don't even notice unless they are looking. I see people in Lacey OC all the time. Enjoy not having to worry about a concealment garment.

"...steam, artillery and revolvers give to civilized man an irresistible power." -Perry Collins

Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:56 pm

I think I could maybe (maybe!!) get more used to the social discomfort factor... but I have to say, I do get a bit afraid of the what-if-a-bad-guy-sees-it-and-grabs-my-gun factor? How do you guys deal with that?

Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:01 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Annalee wrote:
I think I could maybe (maybe!!) get more used to the social discomfort factor... but I have to say, I do get a bit afraid of the what-if-a-bad-guy-sees-it-and-grabs-my-gun factor? How do you guys deal with that?

Social discomfort is all in your mind. Carry yourself like you are being perfectly normal and most people won't notice or care.

As for the other one... aside from one or two outlier incidents notable for their extreme rarity. It really isn't an issue and is one of the most infurating and frustrating bits of OC mythology that I've just usually given up on and say "fuckit believe what you want". But seriously, it's such a non issue as to not bear further mentioning unless you have an anti OC axe to grind. Just wear your gun and act like it isn't a big deal. Because it isn't. And the people who make a big deal out of it are so few... I get probably ten positive comments for every one dirty look or comment.

"...steam, artillery and revolvers give to civilized man an irresistible power." -Perry Collins

Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:04 pm

Annalee wrote:
but I have to say, I do get a bit afraid of the what-if-a-bad-guy-sees-it-and-grabs-my-gun factor? How do you guys deal with that?
training, training, training

Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:08 pm

kf7mjf wrote:
Annalee wrote:

Social discomfort is all in your mind. Carry yourself like you are being perfectly normal and most people won't notice or care.

As for the other one... aside from one or two outlier incidents notable for their extreme rarity. It really isn't an issue and is one of the most infurating and frustrating bits of OC mythology that I've just usually given up on and say "fuckit believe what you want". But seriously, it's such a non issue as to not bear further mentioning unless you have an anti OC axe to grind. Just wear your gun and act like it isn't a big deal. Because it isn't. And the people who make a big deal out of it are so few... I get probably ten positive comments for every one dirty look or comment.

So kind of like those rare cases where the seatbelt has actually killed someone, rather than saved their life?

Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:10 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pretty much yeah. Wear a holster you feel secure with. I've always ran with either a simple retention strap or a full flap holster in the winter. Other folks want a higher level of retention. It's a personal choice and based on how you feel able to secure your weapon. I'm 6'9" and usually carry long barrel revolvers, the combination tends to discourage the lesser element from approaching me. Your mileage may vary, batteries not included.

Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:13 pm

Haha... yeah, I'm 5'6" and female... hence the nervousness. But I'm sure you're right, and that it's quite rare.

Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Annalee wrote:
Haha... yeah, I'm 5'6" and female... hence the nervousness. But I'm sure you're right, and that it's quite rare.

Get a good retention holster, practice how to use it, and carry yourself like you are not victim material. Confidence goes a LONG way in providing security.

Read The Gift of Fear by Gavin DeBecker if you haven't. Friggin' awesome book.

Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:25 pm

I haven't. Thanks for the recommendation.

Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:29 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Annalee wrote:
I haven't. Thanks for the recommendation.

It's a fantastic read, I haven't read it in several years, need to do so again.

Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:30 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just like you did naturally hiding it, practice shoving your elbow down into your firearm, turning your strong side away and drawing a knife from your weak side. Pokey pokey until threat fucks off or gives enough room for you to escape. bear in mind, in this state, you have absolutely no need to retreat but a lot of fear mongering pos's will encourage you to run off or some gay shit lest you get charged with murder or sued.

I carried crossdraw in a serpa level 2 holster when I started OCing. very beneficial when it comes to gun grabs because my attacker would have to be in front of me and with the serpa lock, they'd have to hit the tab to release the pistol. They'll take your whole waist along with you if they just grab your pistol handle.

Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:38 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

kf7mjf wrote:
I'm 6'9"

:0

Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:41 pm

Mine is an IWB holster that just needs a tug... no tabs or snaps. Might be a good idea to get a separate OC holster.

Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next