Switch to full style
This is the place to discuss the how, when, where and why we carry.
Post a reply

Re: First Time OC'ing in a Store

Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:25 pm

Yup most people don't notice, the ones that generally do are:

A.) gun people.

B.) people who stand under about 5 foot tall(I've had more kids notice than adults, well until a kid say something to their parent

Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:06 am

If you're queried by a child about why you have a gun, one potential response could be:

Because the police are very good people, but they can't be everywhere all the time and I might need help when they aren't around.

This statement makes a ton of sense to kids without freaking them out. It's non-confrontational on nearly every level. It also plants the idea that guns are simply tools that people use to stay safe, rather than mechanical boogeymen that kids should grow up fearing.

The same response could work for grownups, too, though adults who can't make that connection on their own may not have enough brains to process your answer. :wink05:

Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:53 am

kf7mjf wrote:And 99 or more percent of the time, that's how it will be. Honestly, I get more people thumbs upping or saying positive things than I do negatives.

Have you looked in a mirror lately? I wouldn't want to piss you off either! LOL

Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:18 pm

mislabeled wrote:If you're queried by a child about why you have a gun, one potential response could be:

Because the police are very good people, but they can't be everywhere all the time and I might need help when they aren't around.

This statement makes a ton of sense to kids without freaking them out. It's non-confrontational on nearly every level. It also plants the idea that guns are simply tools that people use to stay safe, rather than mechanical boogeymen that kids should grow up fearing.

The same response could work for grownups, too, though adults who can't make that connection on their own may not have enough brains to process your answer. :wink05:

My line to kids is, "It's ok, I'm one of the good guys."
Which on occasion has lead to "Are you a police man?" - "Nope just a good guy."
Only once have I had a child grab their parent and point out the gun.
My line to adults is, "It's ok, the government said I could have it." - I have never had anyone question that further.

I even had a woman come back to me about 5 minutes after seeing my gun, and tell me that she saw a guy shoplifting in the next isle over.
I apologetically told her, "You should probably tell a store employee. It's not really something I can do anything about."

Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:21 pm

H2obouget wrote:
I even had a woman come back to me about 5 minutes after seeing my gun, and tell me that she saw a guy shoplifting in the next isle over.
I apologetically told her, "You should probably tell a store employee. It's not really something I can do anything about."

excellent

Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:26 pm

This thread inspired me to open carry my new Sig M11A1 9mm all day long yesterday for the first time in my life.

I never leave home without my conceal carry but have never open carried unless in uniform prior to this. It was liberating! QFC, Safeway and Red Robin were just a few of my errands during the course of the day. Not one person said a single thing with the exception of the checker at Safeway. Despite being in civilian clothes, she asked me what department I worked for. I'm not sure what the giveaway was on that.

Anyway, long story short, thanks for the inspiration!

As an aside, I went shooting the Sig M11A1 today and the SRT trigger and the gun is friggin' fantastic!!

Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:29 pm

Open carry tan line.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:40 pm

RENCORP wrote:Open carry tan line.

You can tell she's not a real gun carrier....
If she were, she would be conditioned to carry heavy objects in her off hand, so the dominate hand would be free to draw if needed.

And she has the weirdest carry position I have ever seen... On the upside, she also has one of the cutest butts I have ever seen too! :thumbsup2:

Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:30 pm

Meh. You don't know too many left handed girls or guys , do ya ?

Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:47 pm

RENCORP wrote:Meh. You don't know too many left handed girls or guys , do ya ?

Mutants!
I try to avoid them....
:bigsmile:

But if you know her you can introduce me....I promise to keep an open mind.

Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:50 pm

My daughter. The interviewing process is long, grueling, painful, and 18% survivable.

Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:29 pm

RENCORP wrote:My daughter. The interviewing process is long, grueling, painful, and 18% survivable.

Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:12 pm

RENCORP wrote:My daughter. The interviewing process is long, grueling, painful, and 18% survivable.

Details?

Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:19 pm

Application:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:28 am

Latest outing OC:
Lacey Safeway, Home Depot, and WINCO. At WINCO a guy said, "nice jewelry", and his wife said she feels safer now (unless I was a BG). I said thanks, not a BG, and welcome to America and we all laughed.
Post a reply