Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:55 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Utah and Oregon Conceal Carry for WA residents 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So, I have attended both the Oregon and Utah conceal safety classes offered at Cabela's (in Lacey) last year.

*Please note the cost estimates below will also depend on where and who you take the courses.

Both taught by 2 different instructors although one is trying to get their Utah certification.

For Oregon - $30. the class is a 3 hour safety course (all classroom) and no test. They will provide you with all the needed information to mail in your application with Oregon. You will have to write a letter why you want the license (just a formality - you can write you have family or visit Oregon a lot as a tourist, etc). After you send in your application the Sherrif will send an appointment for you to show up (Yes, you must present in person.... so you'll have to drive down to Portland or another county in Oregon). Then you pay the Multnomah County Sheriff's Office $65. Renewal in 4 years is $50 and you do have to go down again in person to Oregon.
http://www.mcso.us/public/concealed_handgun.htm
Total: $95

For the Utah course it's $70 if you pre register or $90 at the door. The class is a 3 hour safety course (all classroom) and no test. They will fingerprint you, take your passport picture, copy your driver's license, notarize your form and provide all the documentation you need. It's another $65.25 to the State of Utah (BCI) with your mailed in application. It's taking roughly 42 - 60 days to get your license. At the end of the Utah class the instructor went on for an additional 10-15 mintues and covers Oregon (so if you want both this is the way to go) I didn't stick around since I already took the Oregon (I'm assuming he charged a bit for it ($20). Renewal in 5 years is $10 (mail in).
Total: $135.25

Ranges that have these courses are West Coast Armory, Wade's and Champion Arms. Please note this is not a complete list. Just the ones I know and each charge a bit more than what I have listed.

Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:45 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

An alternative to paying for a Oregon class is the following:

Sheriff Glen Palmer of Grant County Oregon visits Vancouver Washington and will take applications for a Oregon CHL. You need to contact his office for date & time info. http://www.oregonfirearms.org/chlcentral/grant.htm

This is what Sheriff Palmer will need from the applicant who would like to apply for the Oregon [non-resident] Concealed Handgun License through Grant County, Oregon. Oregon will only issue CHLs to people who are residents of states that border Oregon. Those states are Washington, California, Idaho and Nevada. A non resident from the states listed can go to any sheriff in Oregon and apply, but Sheriff Palmer of Grant County Oregon is a true friend of gun owners, and his goal is to make it as easy as possible for our border state residents to obtain an Oregon Concealed Handgun License.

They will not have time to organize this for you, so you need to have the paperwork fully prepared and paper-clipped together, except for the fingerprint card and picture which they will do in person. Be advised: On the Oregon CHL application, disclosure of your Social Security number is VOLUNTARY.

Here's the checklist:

1. A Copy (black & white) of your driver's license. Address on your driver's license MUST match your current residence. If it doesn't, please try to visit the DMV and take care of that prior to meeting the Sheriff.

2. A copy of every current concealed weapons permit you have. If no permits then either a passport, military I.D., voter registration card, employee I.D. or some type of photo I.D., etc.Costco cards will do. No credit cards please. If you absolutely do not have a 2nd form of I.D. I'm pretty confident Sheriff Palmer will make an exception. If you were born outside the U.S. (and not because you were a military baby) then bring a copy of your passport.

3. Photocopy of your certificate of training for Oregon. It must show basic handgun training was a major portion of the training. Sheriff Palmer will also accept the PDF from the Maryland Police Training Commission Firearms Safety Training Site. Print out the certificate and take it with you. http://www.mdgunsafety.com/

4. Grant County CHL application filled out completely; signed and stapled together. Social Security number is not required. If the link below doesn't work, just go to oregonfirearms.org > CHL Central > [scroll down to map] Grant County > Grant County CHL Application. The application has been recently updated, so please use this link.
http://www.oregonfirearms.org/pdfs/Gran ... HL%205.pdf

5. Check or money order for $65 made payable to 'Grant County Sheriff's Office'

6. Self-addressed stamped envelope (letter size).

7. A piece of paper quarter turned in landscape mode with your legal name (middle initial is ok) typed in the largest font so it fits across the very top of the page on the same line (Think Mug Shot). This is needed for you to hold up by your chest when they take your mug shot. If you are not a computer person & have no idea how to accomplish this, just use a sharpie and hand write it.

8. Picture (jpeg format - will be done in person)

9. Fingerprints (will be done in person using the LiveScan machine)

Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:13 am

Thanks for the Oregon info. I had an Oregon Concealled Carry permit for years and when I moved to Washington I was unable to find a Sheriff in Oregon that would even consider granting a license.

Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:34 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

+1 on Sheriff Palmer. I went down to Vancouver a while back, probably a couple months ago now, and got my CHL through him and his family...apparently they help him with all the setup and processing that goes on. "AR15L" set it up for us with Sheriff Palmer and there had to of been over 60 guys there that day. It was a painless process and now I can visit family in OR without having to lock my pistol in the trunk as soon as I cross the Columbia. The fact that he accepts the MD online safety course was very convenient too, took all of about 20 minutes to complete and print out then I was good to go.

Can ya tell I was excited? :lol:

Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It "Lives" again! Sorry no news but I am reviving an old thread...

Just called Sheriff Palmer's office. He has no future dates planned so far (in the near future).

Although I am reading that Columbia County (across from Longview, WA) is taking Washington resident applications.

Just wanted to pass this info along as "an alternative" to going to Multnomah County Sheriff's Office. http://www.mcso.us/public/concealed_handgun.htm

Columbia County:
You simply call and make an appointment and show up with all your paperwork and simple letter.

Monday & Tuesday 10:00 A.M. to 4:00 P.M.
Wednesday & Thursday 8:30 A.M. to 2:00 P.M

http://www.co.columbia.or.us/sheriff...d=27&Itemid=53

Quote:
Washington residents may also qualify for CHL through Columbia County if they regularly travel to or through our county. See special instructions below.

Note: they have a surcharge I'm not complaining but just wanted you to be aware...

Quote:
There will be a $10.00 administrative fee for any licensing of Washington residents by the Sheriff's Office for any purpose. The fee is applied to the cost of regular monitoring of criminal histories of Washington residents holding any type of Columbia County licenses or permits through the Sheriff's Office.

Each Oregon county works their non resident CHL process differently. Here's a website I found useful in finding county sheriff's in Oregon. Click on the county map on the upper left.
http://www.oregonsheriffs.org/columbia/index.shtml

FYI

The reason I offer another alternative is that Multnomah County Sheriff's will give you an appointment time once you submit everything... meaning they tell you when to come down while the Columbia County - YOU set one up to go down on your available time (given within their open hours).

I just don't like not knowing when my time is ... makes it hard with work and life.

Mon May 16, 2011 12:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]