Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:54 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Where can I get open carry laws on a business card? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So I have been open carrying my CZ75 Retro the last few times I've taken the bike for a ride running errands and such and with it having the nice wood grips on it and all it does get noticed, twice today that I know about. Haven't had any bad experiences but at Autozone today one of the guys that worked there was asking me about open carry as he has seen 3 people recently open carrying and he said that when he got his CPL the person at the courthouse told him that open carry was not legal. Now I don't know the context of their discussion but I told him that is was of coarse legal but not in various places like courthouses, bars, etc.

So I was really wishing that I had some kind of business card format card I could give him that showed the basic laws for open carry and so I was wondering if such a card existed that I could get printed? Didn't find one with a quick Google search but I might have missed it.

Anybody seen such a thing?

Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:54 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

dang you just missed bill beat he had a bunch and not sure who he gave em too.

not business cards but a pamphlets

heres a pdf http://www.washingtongunrights.com/ocdo/wgr.pdf

Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:03 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Maybe you could get just the basics on a business card, and include the link to the pamphlet which has all of the details.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:39 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

But remember there is no law that "gives" us open carry or defines it.
Your right is outlined the 2nd amendment and the WA constitution. (put that on the pamphlet)
There's no law on the books preventing it....

So really the best summary is the places that it is prohibited (9.41.300). If you're not in one of those places, you are good to go.

Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:46 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
Maybe you could get just the basics on a business card, and include the link to the pamphlet which has all of the details.

Yeah that's a good idea, pamphlet looks good for sure but riding the motorcycle and just going around with daily life I'd rather not keep that on me at all times where the business cards will fit in my wallet nicely. I was actually surprised to not see that anybody had made one yet. Maybe another state has and I could just copy it and change a few things.

Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:34 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Idiots at the courthouse gonna idiot. Oly cops know better, trust me on that one, because me and my lawyer made sure of that. The rest of the Thurston County law enforcement knows as well. To be brutally honest, in 2015 I'd not bother carrying information pamphlets around. The only people who "don't know" OC is legal in this state are either idiots of no account or meaning, or in denial, and quite frankly at this point, if I find a cop who fits either of those categories, I don't care, because it's free money from a lawsuit (there have been payouts in this state). However if I ran into a paper pusher at the courthouse passing off that kind of bullshit,I'd be sure to contact their supervisor and gently ask WTF and make sure the record is set straight.

"...steam, artillery and revolvers give to civilized man an irresistible power." -Perry Collins

Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:58 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

kf7mjf wrote:
Idiots at the courthouse gonna idiot. Oly cops know better, trust me on that one, because me and my lawyer made sure of that. The rest of the Thurston County law enforcement knows as well. To be brutally honest, in 2015 I'd not bother carrying information pamphlets around. The only people who "don't know" OC is legal in this state are either idiots of no account or meaning, or in denial, and quite frankly at this point, if I find a cop who fits either of those categories, I don't care, because it's free money from a lawsuit (there have been payouts in this state). However if I ran into a paper pusher at the courthouse passing off that kind of bullshit,I'd be sure to contact their supervisor and gently ask WTF and make sure the record is set straight.

Yeah I'm not too really worried about cops, I doubt they would even notice (unless they pulled me over) that i was carrying when they are some of the worst distracted drivers out there. I do plan on taking a few longer motorcycle rides this summer though and will probably shove a pamphlet in with my registration in a ziplock under the seat just in case i have any issues in smaller towns. I really want this small business card format mostly for the citizens that don't know or who were informed wrongly.

The gentleman at Autozone actually mentioned going back to the courthouse where he got his cpl and I'm planning on getting him at least a pamphlet to look over and give to the courthouse personal thats spreading wrong information.

So I did see one business card for Washington that is similar to what i want but hoping to change it a bit and am looking at other people's designs from other states as well.

Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:18 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oddly the last time I talked to somebody who thought OC was illegal was a gun owner who also insisted her husband renews his CPL at the courthouse annually.... she looked really confused when I showed her my CPL with an expiration date of 2017. I think at this point, the education is more gun owners who are from out of state or listen to crazy gun shop talk than anyone else. I can't recall the last anti or cop who didn't know it was legal, but there are sure a lot of gun owners who are still confused. And they bother me because they tend to believe all sorts of other crazy crap, usually based on fifth hand retelling of laws from other states...

"...steam, artillery and revolvers give to civilized man an irresistible power." -Perry Collins

Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:39 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yhea, the OC "movement" in WA is done, because it worked. PD's are informed. LEO's are now in touch and for the most part, accepting. Local Govt's saw what happened with Seattle (over and over and over again) and have opted to just comply instead of fight.

I think we have it pretty good, OC wise, here in the State. The only thing that pissed me off was when we lost our right to OC when we assemble at the Capitol Building. Small step back, but we have made some huge leaps over the last 10 years, with thanks to people like Bill Starks, Jim Deros, Nick Smith, the guys at OCDO and even our resident arguer kf7mjf.

Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:01 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Which autozone?
And yes dan is correct the OC movement is slower now because it worked.

Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:35 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

gogodawgs wrote:
Which autozone?
And yes dan is correct the OC movement is slower now because it worked.

Yelm hwy and college street in Lacey.

Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:06 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What if it was an app on your phone? Something you could point them to to download for themselves? Of course, this presumes both of you have a smart phone, but the app could be written.

Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:42 am
Profile WWW
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Carpenter wrote:
. . . So I was really wishing that I had some kind of business card format card I could give him that showed the basic laws for open carry and so I was wondering if such a card existed that I could get printed? . . .

Since the laws don't say (explicitly enough) what you want, perhaps there is a WA court case where the Judge put into simple words that he found OC to be legal. If so, a quote from the findings of that case could be cited in the formal way, put on a card by Vistaprint, and your wish is granted.
:wavey:

Synopsis of Rules for Radicals: http://www.crossroad.to/Quotes/communism/alinsky.htm
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds" - Bob Marley
104th Division Image Timberwolves

Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:05 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I OC every place I go and have not had any problem or anyone even mention it.....Lowes (Lacey)...QFC (Lacey)...Safeway (Lacey)...Scotty B (Tenino)

Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:38 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:

Using business card ordering online or even at most any office supply store... you can make business cards on the cheap $15 per 250 or so...

Of course the more you order... (larger quantities... means less per card)... the cheaper it can be.

Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next