Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Pointers for new open carrier 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

welcomewgo
Serpa CQC is the greatest holster:
http://www.blackhawk.com/Products/Produ ... sters.aspx
Most people don't notice (I OC a Govt 1911).
Just go about your business as usual. In 5-6 years I've never had an issue.
If you don't have a CPL, get one anyway. With a CPL you don't have to unload/re-load every time you get in, and out of a car.

Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:19 pm

I plan on using my springfield XD40 but since u mentioned holsters. Does anybody have a place to get a holster for the Beretta m9a1. The rail makes it impossible to find a holster for it. At least a kydex or good plastic/ polymer with some retention

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:04 pm

personally I would stay far away from any Serpa holster, too many people have had ND with that holster. I just dont trust any holster that makes you put your finger just about in the trigger guard to remove the weapon.

Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

dagamore wrote:
personally I would stay far away from any Serpa holster, too many people have had ND with that holster. I just dont trust any holster that makes you put your finger just about in the trigger guard to remove the weapon.

I would like to see something to back up that claim. It leaves my finger on the side of the frame above the trigger.
I will stand in front, or behind a serpa any day.

Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Safariland:
http://www.safariland.com/holster-searc ... unList&pre
Blade-Tech:
http://shop.blade-tech.com/advanced_sea ... from=&dto=

Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:44 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mckownjl wrote:
I plan on using my springfield XD40 but since u mentioned holsters. Does anybody have a place to get a holster for the Beretta m9a1. The rail makes it impossible to find a holster for it. At least a kydex or good plastic/ polymer with some retention

Krounds.com

Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:28 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

dagamore wrote:

Nice internet parroting. Hear something and repeat away.

Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:26 pm

UpDog wrote:
dagamore wrote:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zYvAxLX6OzE

Here's a video that explains at around the 2 min mark that u cant.blame the holster. But u can choose one that lends to safer practices

Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:41 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Lots of good valid advice here, except for the snipe at Uncle Mike's from the Peanut Gallery.

Probably the best thing that a new OC person can do is continue to read, learn and be mellow. I find it much easier to shake off an angry reaction when OCing...

Robert Heinlein said (wrote) "An armed society is a polite society" and I believe it.

Read the old sci-fi book Tunnel in the Sky by the aforementioned genius, RAH. He said something in that book that really influenced my attitude and behavior regarding how a person feels when he's armed.

Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Be polite, be kind, be courteous and professional.

Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:50 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

PMB wrote:
the Peanut Gallery

:wavey:

:bigsmile:

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:08 am

UpDog wrote:
dagamore wrote:

When I did the firing part of my SC training, the guy two stalls down shot him self and he was using a serpa, more then a few trainers now forbid serpa's because of the safety issues.

This search pulls up 97K+ threads : https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#safe ... s+in+class
Not saying a serpa will cause or force an ND, but there are better options out there.

Hell Frontsight, that used to sell the Serpa(dont know if they ever sold the Serpa2) now bans the holster, unless you totally disable the finger locking system.

Personally I am a big fan of leather with either a thumb break or a push hoop, not a fan of kydex, but hey your leg, your risk. :popcorn:

if i had to use a kydex i would go with something like this. http://aliengearholsters.com/1911-5-inc ... tband.html Got a budy with one, and it is very secure, very nice, and about the same price, and with out the problem of putting your finger near the trigger and pushing down with it.

Just my 2 cents.

Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

dagamore wrote:
UpDog wrote:
dagamore wrote:

When I did the firing part of my SC training, the guy two stalls down shot him self and he was using a serpa, more then a few trainers now forbid serpa's because of the safety issues.

This search pulls up 97K+ threads : https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#safe ... s+in+class
Not saying a serpa will cause or force an ND, but there are better options out there.

Hell Frontsight, that used to sell the Serpa(dont know if they ever sold the Serpa2) now bans the holster, unless you totally disable the finger locking system.

Personally I am a big fan of leather with either a thumb break or a push hoop, not a fan of kydex, but hey your leg, your risk. :popcorn:

if i had to use a kydex i would go with something like this. http://aliengearholsters.com/1911-5-inc ... tband.html Got a budy with one, and it is very secure, very nice, and about the same price, and with out the problem of putting your finger near the trigger and pushing down with it.

Just my 2 cents.

Your 2 cents are rotten. You know of one guy. How many people do you know have gotten into a car collision? I say collision because THERE ARE NO ACCIDENTS. And of course trainers never spread false info either. Especially conceal carry trainers. They love open carriers in their classes! Woot woot.

Anyone that says a serpa forces your trigger onto or in their trigger guard must be on some sort of drug. Or their grip has to be fucked up beyond repair.

Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:00 pm

If you decide to open carry, I offer a couple of suggestions:

1. Get some valid training in--and PRACTICE--weapon retention skills.
2. I most emphatically recommend that you do NOT use a holster made of Kydex, or other polymer. Why is that? There is a move known as the Kydex disarm. Someone who knows it can have your gun AND destroy your holster within 3 seconds.
3. If you do open carry, why not go whole hog? Get yourself a good retention holster and practice with it.

Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:16 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

UpDog wrote:
Anyone that says a serpa forces your trigger onto or in their trigger guard must be on some sort of drug. Or their grip has to be fucked up beyond repair.

Agreed. The Serpa promotes a master grip and I've never had it draw any differently. Anyone who gets any other result likely has no idea what they're doing and has no business carrying a firearm to begin with, IMO.

Sent from my UAV using Disposition Matrix 2.0

Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next