The only way to carry 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
A viable option 53%  53%  [ 24 ]
To exercise the second 11%  11%  [ 5 ]
For attention 11%  11%  [ 5 ]
Probably not the best idea 16%  16%  [ 7 ]
Dumb 9%  9%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 45

Are there really any merits to OC? 

I feel like stoking the coals, and even though this has been rehashed in a lot of open carry posts, I didn't see any specifically aimed at this topic. So, point blank and bluntly: Is there any merit whatsoever to open carry in an URBAN/SUBURBAN environment?

Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:15 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No multiple choice? :)

Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:51 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sure there are merits, and they apply to any environment.

OC is generally more comfortable if you have a larger pistol. Similarly, it can allow you to carry a larger pistol, which is of course more comfortable to shoot and more accurate, and has a higher capacity.

If you OC, it can have a deterrent effect on would-be criminals.

If you OC, you can serve as a "gun ambassador" to the general public.

There are also disadvantages to OC. It's up to everyone to weigh the pros and cons, and decide which is right for them.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:54 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

I would respond to the poll but I'm too busy typing up a 9mm vs .45 thread... :bigsmile:

Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:58 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sinus211 wrote:
I would respond to the poll but I'm too busy typing up a 9mm vs .45 thread... :bigsmile:

GLOCK or 1911?

Yes to exercise the 2A!
Yes because it is convenient at times.
Hell yes because guns are cool!
Chicks diggem.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:34 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:

OC is generally more comfortable if you have a larger pistol. Similarly, it can allow you to carry a larger pistol, which is of course more comfortable to shoot and more accurate, and has a higher capacity.

There are also disadvantages to OC. It's up to everyone to weigh the pros and cons, and decide which is right for them.

:plusone:
Nicely put... :thumbsup2:

Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:41 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Personally I have licenses to carry concealed in 33 states. The beauty of concealed carry are:
Lack of confrontation
&
Element of surprise if needed

There are too many wacko liberals who want to get in your face and question your manhood when you open carry in public... It just isn't worth being an ambassador to "good behavior when carrying a gun".

IMHO To carry concealed is advantageous in the majority of situations and ya don't have to deal with the bulls shit liberal wackos!

Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:12 pm

MadPick wrote:

I enjoy playing devil's advocate, and I think respectful dialog is great. With that said...

Wouldn't OC make you the prime target in a crime situation? As opposed to CC in which you are just another face in the crowd, at least giving you the advantage of surprise / an opportunity to retreat to safety?
In regards to a larger handgun, how far do you expect to be shooting? And at how many targets?
As far as being "gun ambassadors", I feel this is the only statement you made that might be a touch dangerous.... I know quite a few gun owners that do not quite have the verbal aptitude to be an ambassador for anything, much less have the fore sight to walk away from someone trapping them in a debate.

You are right though, there are applications for it. I for one just think CC is a better idea for crowded spaces...

Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:19 pm

jukk0u wrote:
sinus211 wrote:

GLOCK or 1911?

Yes to exercise the 2A!
Yes because it is convenient at times.
Hell yes because guns are cool!
Chicks diggem.

How does OC "exercise the second"?

Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:21 pm
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

When I here arguing about open vs concealed carry, my first thought it is, "No war is one with a single front." Therefore, we need to embrace each other's practice and exercising of their rights.

When I moved from Chicago to Midcity, New Orleans and shortly after to Hollygrove, I regularly cut the lawn, washed my truck, walked the dog, shot the breeze with the neighbors while open carrying. That made it very clear to the neighborhood as my neighbor would say, "You da wrong nigga to fuck wit, ya heard me!" My white wife at the time and her towhead child were never bothered even when I was away for work. Now some people got it in their mind that I was "one a dem peeps" and I was regularly asked if I was undercover. So I'm sure that played a part in it.

1911 Pistolsmithing
Firearm Refinishing
GLOCK Certified Armorer
CMMG Authorized Dealer
NEMO Arms Authorized Dealer
http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms/

Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:26 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

9mm well there's 1# .45mm well there's 2#'s

glock well ?? 1911 cocked and locked there's 2 again.

glock no double barrels, 1911 2 barrels

think 1911 winning the exercising the 2nd :wink05:

Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:30 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sco wrote:
I enjoy playing devil's advocate, and I think respectful dialog is great. With that said...

Yes, respectful dialog is great, and this is an interesting topic. Let's make sure to keep it positive, though . . . as you presented this thread, it sounds a bit like you're looking to tear up the OC crowd, so I'm kind of cautious.

Sco wrote:
Wouldn't OC make you the prime target in a crime situation? As opposed to CC in which you are just another face in the crowd, at least giving you the advantage of surprise / an opportunity to retreat to safety?

Yeah, a lot of people think this . . . and I suppose in theory it might occasionally be true. If someone is hell-bent on committing a crime (like terrorist mass murder), then I suppose this might come into play. If it's your average bank robber or mugger, I think they'd be more likely to just walk away and look for an easier victim somewhere else.

Sco wrote:
In regards to a larger handgun, how far do you expect to be shooting? And at how many targets?

It's not a question of range, really. Take your average gun owner, put a pistol in his/her hand, and put a hostile bad guy into the situation . . . unless you are REALLY composed and well-trained, I suspect that accuracy isn't going to be good. This will be even worse with a small pistol that's hard to shoot accurately under even the best of circumstances. How many targets . . . who knows? And it's more a question of how many of your shots are going to miss the target, rather than how many targets there will be.

Sco wrote:
As far as being "gun ambassadors", I feel this is the only statement you made that might be a touch dangerous.... I know quite a few gun owners that do not quite have the verbal aptitude to be an ambassador for anything, much less have the fore sight to walk away from someone trapping them in a debate.

It's true, some people are good ambassadors and some are not.

And if someone is unable to walk away from a verbal debate, they probably are also unable to walk away from a fight . . . which tells me that they shouldn't be carrying a gun, whether OC or CC!

For the record, I have only OC'd a few times. I CC a Glock 42. I have made the choice to conceal carry, but I believe that open carry is a very viable choice.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:34 pm

Oh, it might have read like I was revving up to try and tear into the OC crowd, but in reality I'm pro OC... WITH THE RIGHT MIND SET.

I'd personally like to keep the conversation casual, and bounce some thoughts off of some people more knowledgeable than myself.

I guess my only gripe with the OC crowd is the elusive mall ninja... As a "gun nerd" to the ill informed I get grouped in with those twats...

Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The #1 merit for me, personally, is that I can still carry while wearing clothes that are extremely difficult to concealed carry under; specifically business casual without a jacket. Really, that's the only time I OC (though not at work, as its forboden). It's comfortable and I can carry my bigger gun. Wish I could do it all the time, but I prefer not to (for now). I see the benefit of advocacy and showing the public that guns are not carried exclusively by LEO and bad guys and have had only positive encounters. I believe it helps alleviate the stigma for some people.

Sent from my UAV using Disposition Matrix 2.0

Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:56 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Classic wrote:
Personally I have licenses to carry concealed in 33 states. The beauty of concealed carry are:
Lack of confrontation What confrontation?
&
Element of surprise if needed Not backed by any fact.

There are too many wacko liberals who want to get in your face and question your manhood when you open carry in public... It just isn't worth being an ambassador to "good behavior when carrying a gun". Has never happened in six years.

IMHO To carry concealed is advantageous in the majority of situations and ya don't have to deal with the bulls shit liberal wackos!

OC'er has never been documented to be the "first target".
I want the BG's to see that I'm not an easy target, and move on.
The majority of positive comments have been from women of all ages.
Never had a negative comment.

Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next