Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Self Defense - conceal carrier using for self defense 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Quote:
Concealed carry license holder kills gunman

CHICAGO β€” A customer with a concealed carry license shot and killed an armed man attempting to rob a neighborhood store, Chicago police said Sunday.

A masked man walked into the store and currency exchange about 7 p.m. Saturday on the city's southwest side, displayed a handgun and announced a robbery to an employee, police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said. The gunman next pointed his weapon at another employee and forced her to the back of the store.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/police ... id=UP97DHP

The article lays out when a customer who was a legally armed citizen used their sidearm.

The part that gets me is... calling into question the use of self defense.

Quote:
"It's a slippery slope" when it comes to the question of whether citizens who are licensed to carry guns should intervene in dangerous situations, if at all, Guglielmi said.

Quote:
Guns in the hands of honest citizens save lives and property. Guns in the hands of honest citizens preserve freedom and dignity β€” from both criminal and government predators. And, yes, gun-control laws affect only the law-abiding citizens. The gun-control party is now in the majority in Congress. Take note before it’s too late. The next time a politician talks in favor of gun-control, please remind all who are listening of the lesson of history. All credible scholarship indicates so-called "gun-control" laws never work, are dangerous to the rights of the law-abiding, and are inconsistent with the values on which the United States were founded. The Founders of America had it right. With guns, we are "citizens." Without them, we are "subjects."

http://bearingarms.com/a-brief-history- ... lfdefense/

Quote:
If a man by the terrour of present death, be compelled to doe a fact against the Law, he is totally Excused; because no Law can oblige a man to abandon his own preservation. And supposing such a Law were obligatory; yet a man would reason thus, If I doe it not, I die presently; if I doe it, I die afterwards; therefore by doing it, there is time of life gained. (Leviathan, chap. 27 (1651))

Read more: Justification: Self-Defense - History, Theories, Modern Law, Reasonableness, Necessary Force, Deadly Force And The Duty To Retreat - JRank Articles http://law.jrank.org/pages/1478/Justifi ... z3qIraWDk8

So, if you got this far in the reading... I call for every firearm owner (present and future)... to go get their Washington State CPL (Concealed Pistol License).
It doesn't mean you have to carry. That is a personal choice. One that comes with thought, understanding and some training.

The CPL gives you a CHOICE. Not some lawmaker or anyone else. It also serves to increase our numbers and show those same lawmakers (fighting to take away our "choice") that we are many and many more...

Getting a concealed pistol license in Washington State (resident and non resident)
http://www.dol.wa.gov/business/firearms ... alreq.html

This is not asking for you to use your firearm but to make it known that you stand behind your 2A (2nd Amendment rights)
Pay the fee and increase our numbers!

Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:11 pm
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

If anyone here doesn't have a license, you're really doing yourself and everyone else a disservice.

1911 Pistolsmithing
Firearm Refinishing
GLOCK Certified Armorer
CMMG Authorized Dealer
NEMO Arms Authorized Dealer
http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms/

Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:07 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

dreadi wrote:
If anyone here doesn't have a license, you're really doing yourself and everyone else a disservice.

Most of the states are doing US a disservice by requiring a "licence". There is a document that was ratified Dec. 15th 1791 that should have us US citizens covered to carry what we want, when we want.

Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:30 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

oldkim wrote:
Quote:
Concealed carry license holder kills gunman

CHICAGO β€” A customer with a concealed carry license shot and killed an armed man attempting to rob a neighborhood store, Chicago police said Sunday.

A masked man walked into the store and currency exchange about 7 p.m. Saturday on the city's southwest side, displayed a handgun and announced a robbery to an employee, police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said. The gunman next pointed his weapon at another employee and forced her to the back of the store.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/police ... id=UP97DHP

The article lays out when a customer who was a legally armed citizen used their sidearm.

The part that gets me is... calling into question the use of self defense.

Quote:
"It's a slippery slope" when it comes to the question of whether citizens who are licensed to carry guns should intervene in dangerous situations, if at all, Guglielmi said.

Gugliemi's quote is likely motivated by a bias against concealed carry... And this particular shoot sounds pretty clean-cut self-defense from a clear deadly force threat. That being said, all concealed carriers should be wary of intervening in a public situation involving others... When intervening in a situation involving third-parties, you are basically taking on the legal standing of whomever you intervene for... If it turns out that person, lacks a credible claim of self-defense or especially if that party turns out to be the initial aggressor or instigator of the incident and you intervene with deadly force on their behalf, you are setting yourself up for deep legal trouble, both criminal and civil...

All I am saying is you need to be crystal clear on your reason for intervening in a third party situation...

I also agree with the poster who indicates the whole scheme of licensing is bullshit to begin with... There should be no licensing required for concealed carry as it is our inalienable right to defend our own lives, at any place and any time.

Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:11 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Its all good to argue against needing a license.

But I live in the REAL world... Right now. Lets not add more BS to need hip waiters to talk about a simple topic.

If you don't have a CPL. Please do consider getting one.

The rest... is all talk until the current law is changed (hopefully not for the worse).

Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:35 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Excellent thread.....

This seems like a good opening as to what is justified grounds in Washington State.

When to pull, or not? Is the question that I constantly ask myself.

But yah, everyone ought to have a CPL, in order to have a choice, notwithstanding the argument that we shouldn't need a permit.

As a side note, you don't need a permit at your home or your business to carry concealed, to the best of my knowledge.

From a blog: Political Correctness - the belief that one can pick up a turd by the clean end.

Benjamin Franklin: It is the (civic) responsibility of every citizen to question authority.

Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:48 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

oldkim wrote:
Its all good to argue against needing a license.

But I live in the REAL world... Right now. Lets not add more BS to need hip waiters to talk about a simple topic.

If you don't have a CPL. Please do consider getting one.

The rest... is all talk until the current law is changed (hopefully not for the worse).

Yes, I live in the real world. I am allowed to dream, right?
Yes, I have one. I just disagree about the requirement to have one. Constitutional carry. Just like people wine about seatbelts. If you don't want to use it, fine. I learned the hard way, and will use mine. Trust me bouncing your face on the steering wheel hard enough to bend it is not fun. My mother was almost killed going through the wind shield (prior to seat belt existence). YMMV

Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:59 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

But dreaming is not the real world...

I dream too but I do understand the definitive lines between reality and a dream.

The reality is...

I'm not saying not to dream... but let's stick to facts and what the real world requires of us to stay "legal" right now... not the future and we must learn from the past.
Again, I'm not arguing that it "shouldn't be needed..."

I'm trying to get folks to consider getting one. Regardless if they choose to use it or not... we need numbers to support and show the need for our 2A (fundamental rights to legally carry).

Also from the article... how can one even argue the need to protect one's own life, family and others - self defense is fundamental (cave man)...

Now if we let things happen... these "idiots" that are against legal carry... just wants us to lay down and be victims.

Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:44 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Be interesting to know how many people here don't have a CPL already, I would imagine it is a small number.

Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:13 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

oldkim wrote:
But dreaming is not the real world...

I dream too but I do understand the definitive lines between reality and a dream.

The reality is...

I'm not saying not to dream... but let's stick to facts and what the real world requires of us to stay "legal" right now... not the future and we must learn from the past.
Again, I'm not arguing that it "shouldn't be needed..."

I'm trying to get folks to consider getting one. Regardless if they choose to use it or not... we need numbers to support and show the need for our 2A (fundamental rights to legally carry).

Also from the article... how can one even argue the need to protect one's own life, family and others - self defense is fundamental (cave man)...

Now if we let things happen... these "idiots" that are against legal carry... just wants us to lay down and be victims.

Maybe I did not word it right. I was agreeing with you. It sucks, but GET YOUR CPL! :bigsmile:

Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:35 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]