Switch to full style
This is the place to discuss the how, when, where and why we carry.
Post a reply

CCW in NICU?

Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:04 am

I know we can't carry in children's hospitals, but what about NICU?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: CCW in NICU?

Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:36 am

joao01 wrote:I know we can't carry in children's hospitals, but what about NICU?

Where is it written you can't carry in kids hospital? RCW?

Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:18 am

golddigger14s wrote:
joao01 wrote:I know we can't carry in children's hospitals, but what about NICU?

Where is it written you can't carry in kids hospital? RCW?

I'm pretty sure. I can look in a couple days when I get to a PC, if no one else knows.

Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:29 am

Again there are differences to LAWS (RCW) and what guidelines and rules of a hospital may be (exept mental hospitals and jails). :timeout:
The rules / outlines for a hospital are not LAW...

Your CPL is not restricted by a hospital or stadium for sporting events (music is another issue).
You buying a ticket or being on premise is an agreement to follow said rules... behaviors, etc

*Do know there are other laws (e.g. trespass, etc) that may come into play but those are not RCW Laws covering the legal carry of CPL carriers.

So no. In Washington State - Hospitals are not listed - for example like Federal/State Courthouses, Bars, etc as "restricted" places that are covered in the RCW.

Finally, on the other hand... by having a CPL does not mean once asked to leave... you can stay. And as the saying goes... "concealed is concealed" :thumbsup2:

For those like me.... :wavey:

CCW - Conceal Carry Weapon - does not apply to Washington State - WA CPL is strictly for pistol (hence CPL)... a ccw in other states covers all sorts of "weapons"
NICU - Neonatal Intensive Care Unit - refers to the department that cares for neonates (think really really small babies).

Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:50 am

Concealed is concealed......

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:56 am

I know for a fact that in nicu, if you print or your carry weapon is seen, you will get in a ton of trouble if caught. they will do everything to include banning you from the hospital.

Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:34 pm

I have carried in hospitals lots of times not against the law from what I know and what they don't know won't hurt them

Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:06 pm

If by 'a ton of trouble' you mean being asked to leave, sure.
More like an ounce of trouble.

Like the park ranger told my buddy "Unless you're waving your gun around pointing it at people, how would we know if you're carrying a gun in a federal building? Not like we have metal detectors."

Mr. Q wrote:I know for a fact that in nicu, if you print or your carry weapon is seen, you will get in a ton of trouble if caught. they will do everything to include banning you from the hospital.

Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:39 pm

When our son was born, the nurse asked us for a list of our belongings costing over $100. Basically to document what we came in with to deter theft. I declared my Benchmade pocket knife because it was over the threshold. The nurse told me they were not allowed and that I needed to leave it in my car.

So, while there's no law saying as such, there are policies. If they ask you to leave, they are well within their right to do so because its private property. Decide what's more important to you...

Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:10 pm

Guntrader wrote:If by 'a ton of trouble' you mean being asked to leave, sure.
More like an ounce of trouble.

Like the park ranger told my buddy "Unless you're waving your gun around pointing it at people, how would we know if you're carrying a gun in a federal building? Not like we have metal detectors."

Mr. Q wrote:I know for a fact that in nicu, if you print or your carry weapon is seen, you will get in a ton of trouble if caught. they will do everything to include banning you from the hospital.

In the last hospital I worked in with a nicu, there were armed security posted. It's a pretty sensitive area, baby theft is a real thing. I guess "ton" is a bit dramatic, but I wouldn't want to do something that would get me banned from going to see my sick infant.

Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:56 am

edogg wrote:When our son was born, the nurse asked us for a list of our belongings costing over $100. Basically to document what we came in with to deter theft. I declared my Benchmade pocket knife because it was over the threshold. The nurse told me they were not allowed and that I needed to leave it in my car.

So, while there's no law saying as such, there are policies. If they ask you to leave, they are well within their right to do so because its private property. Decide what's more important to you...

This last year I spent a ton of time in hospitals. When the nurses asked me questions like that I lied my ass off. I didn't give a crap about their "theft prevention" motives, I knew that nobody was going to steal the firearm I carried all the time.

As for "printing", if you do, your concealment practice needs some work or you need to carry a smaller firearm.

Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:37 am

deadshot2 wrote:
edogg wrote:When our son was born, the nurse asked us for a list of our belongings costing over $100. Basically to document what we came in with to deter theft. I declared my Benchmade pocket knife because it was over the threshold. The nurse told me they were not allowed and that I needed to leave it in my car.

This last year I spent a ton of time in hospitals. When the nurses asked me questions like that I lied my ass off. I didn't give a crap about their "theft prevention" motives, I knew that nobody was going to steal the firearm I carried all the time.

As for "printing", if you do, your concealment practice needs some work or you need to carry a smaller firearm.

Had I known that would be the nurse's reaction, I wouldn't have said anything.

Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:32 am

edogg wrote:
deadshot2 wrote:

Had I known that would be the nurse's reaction, I wouldn't have said anything.

One nurse saw me taking my personal meds (a blood pressure pill, an arthritis med, and a statin) one morning (I stayed in the hospital with my wife every day and night she was in one) and demanded that I "turn over my meds so they could be kept in the safe". I told her "sorry I'm not your patient so go bother someone else". When she persisted I told her I'd be contacting hospital management and maybe she'd like to continue the conversation with a department head or patient services. Suddenly she had something else to do.

Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:47 am

Wow that's ridiculous. Glad she relented when you held your ground but that's stupid you had to have the conversation in the first place.

Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:40 pm

Fascinating, but does anyone know what state law says?

Post a reply