Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:00 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 OR CHL renewal in Grant County 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hello all, I was talking with my old shooting buddy the other day, and we were talking about the expiration dates on our various states' CPL, CHL, and CFP. We both possess licenses/permits for WA and UT. Additionally, I have an OR license. I realized that my OR license would soon be expiring. I had originally obtained my OR license in Klamath County, but now that seemed like quite a drive to Klamath Falls. I wasn't so sure of my options, having read and experienced the varied stipulations placed on a WA state resident desiring to obtain an OR CHL by the various OR sheriffs. I contacted the only other county sheriff that I was aware of, Sheriff Glenn Palmer in Grant County, that had in the past had been quite helpful with WA residents seeking to obtain the somewhat elusive OR CHL. During the 1980's, I lived in LaGrande, Union County, just north of Grant County, so I was somewhat acquainted with the area, I also knew that the weather in the Blue Mountains and eastern Oregon can be treacherous in the winter. So, I made an appointment for 7 February, and kept my fingers, toes, legs, and eyes crossed for fair weather. I drove down to Portland, spent the night there, and then got up quite early to get a start up the Columbia River gorge and finally made it past the wind farms and rolling hills to Canyon City for my noon appointment. I had the opportunity to visit the John Day Fossil Beds National Monument headquarters, during my five hour drive there. It was sunny and in the 50's the whole trip. Sally, the office general in the Grant County sheriff office said it had been an uncharacteristically warm winter, with little snowfall, thus far. I spoke briefly with Sheriff Palmer, while Sally was reviewing my application. All told it took about an hour for my application and related paperwork (and me) to be reviewed and checked out, photographed and fingerprinted. I got the impression from Sally that is was a rather slow day for CHL applications, there was another fellow that had an appointment right after me. I walked out of the sheriff's office with my brand new Oregon CHL. Picked up a sandwich and started my five hour return drive via Pendleton on I-84. It was a lot of driving, I was tired, spent the night again in Portland. Then leisurely drove back home Thursday morning. Thanks for reading this travelogue, and also thanks to Sheriff Glenn Palmer and his support staff for their professional and prompt service in processing my CHL application. thumbsup

Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:03 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have an appointment for Columbia County (Helens, OR) in April, and they also take walk-ins on the last Saturday of the month. I think a few of us are headed there on the 24th, see if we can get in with the crowd.

Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:56 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's good to hear. When we last renewed in Grant County in May 2015, we were told that Sheriff Palmer was going to stop granting to out of state residents. Must have changed his mind.

That was kind of during the period when the white neo types from North Idaho were looking to set up shop in his county.

Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:59 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some Oregon Sheriff's are reluctant to transfer your renewal across county lines. Because I grew up in and still have family in Linn County, I was able to convince Sheriff Riley to transfer my expiring Oregon CHL from Columbia County to Linn Co. Since I travel to Linn County 3 to 6 times each year, the next renewal should be easy.

Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:43 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Seems like a LOT of work to chase them down to get a renewal.

Strongly debating voting with my dollars... no more trips to Oregon perhaps.

I was reluctant to stand in line for an hour when the sheriff came here to grant them.

So, is this the deal, we have to drive down there to get it renewed?

Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:56 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

leadcounsel wrote:
Seems like a LOT of work to chase them down to get a renewal.

Strongly debating voting with my dollars... no more trips to Oregon perhaps.

I was reluctant to stand in line for an hour when the sheriff came here to grant them.

So, is this the deal, we have to drive down there to get it renewed?

It would seem that you have to go there for a renewal. I got the distinct impression from the office staff that the sheriff would likely not be going to any more WA gun shows to process out-of-state CHL licenses. Take a look at this link from Grant County Sheriff's Office:

https://grantcountysherifforegon.com/to ... aled-carry

The CHL application is quite straight-forward.

Talking with folks in the sheriff's office, during my recent visit, and reading some recent articles in the Oregonian. It seems that the OR anti-gun folks have taken aim at Sheriff Palmer last year regarding record-keeping, out-of-state CHL licenses, the Malheur Wildlife Refuge imbroglio, and anything else that they could try to stick on him. He has, so far, been cleared of any wrongdoing (see OPB link).

http://www.oregonlive.com/oregon-stando ... s_his.html

https://www.opb.org/news/article/oregon ... nn-palmer/

YMMV

Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:21 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Go to Columbia County. St Helens. Less optics.

Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Join the NRA
Firearms Policy Coalition

Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:37 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

BadKarma wrote:
Go to Columbia County. St Helens. Less optics.

Sounds like good advice.

I was just letting folks know my recent experience with Sheriff Palmer and his office in Canyon City. Glad that the weather cooperated.

Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]