Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:19 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Knife Laws in Washington 

Hey guys!

I'm an avid aikido practicer and I often have to walk lengthy distances at night. I live in Lynnwood, WA, and have been thinking of taking my sword with me when I do so for my own protection. However, I'm not sure if it's legal and I'm a bit confused with the blade length discussion here. It would be carried in a wooden sheath of course. Does anyone know if this is legal?

I nearly got in trouble walking through Seattle with it once (sheathed as well) on my way to an event.

Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:52 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

That's a great question.

RCW 9.41.270 says you cannot carry in a "time..place... warrant alarm..". Luckily for gunners, courts have stated that carrying a handgun doesn't trigger .270. I don't think swords have ever been tested in court? Feel lucky?

So, I would have to guess that you would have to be a petri dish if some overzeaous PA decided to hang a case on your head. Most likely, as long as you are just jogging it shouldn't be an issue. If an openly carried firearm is completely okay, then a sheathed and slung sword should be as well. \

The other question is the viability of the sword as a defensive tool. Knowing your martial arts background I am sure you can handle it, so close quarters combat you would probably prevail. But what happens if somebody pulls a gun? You know the old adage, "never bring a knife to a gun fight?"

Also to add: In some cities it is illegal to "conceal" a blade of a certain lengths. You need to make sure that a sheath doesn't classify as the blade being concealed.

Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:31 am
Profile WWW

Hey, thanks a bunch for the response. I don't think the sword -should- warrant any alarm if it's sheathed and tied appropriately. There's a few ways to go about tying it that make so it's a bit difficult (though not impossible) to draw, and remains firmly held in the sheath. It's a pretty classic sword and sheath (a katana, though not the display sort. It's made for actual use). Looks pretty much like this: http://tinyurl.com/bv4lytm

A gun would definitely be more viable, but it's not really an option for me right now. I'm very low income and live in what's probably the poorest part of town-- part of the reason I'd like some safety. I've gotten harassed a bit by guys late at night, which is part of what is making me want to do this.

Plus I don't think folks are as likely to mess with someone carrying a sword, haha.

Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:52 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Welcome to WaGuns, Riane!

:wavey:

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:06 am

Hey! Thank you, nice to meetcha.

Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:01 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Riane wrote:
A gun would definitely be more viable, but it's not really an option for me right now. I'm very low income and live in what's probably the poorest part of town-- part of the reason I'd like some safety. I've gotten harassed a bit by guys late at night, which is part of what is making me want to do this.

Meaning you can't afford a gun?

Do you have a CPL?

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:17 am

You might be better off just carrying a folder.

Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:14 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Check bartitsu out, and just apply your akido sensibilities.

Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:03 pm

Honestly, carrying a sword is not a smart idea...... Everyone on this forum could probably tell if someone was trying to conceal a rifle of sorts the instance they walk into a crowded area. Everyone else might be oblivious. Just learn how to use a pocket knife.

Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:20 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I lost the use of my right arm while in Mich. I found they had a specific clause in the laws that allowed auto knifes for any 'one armed man' I bought a lower end Microtech OTF and love it. By lower end, its still $300. I also got a Buck 110 converted to auto, but my cousin liked it so much I gave it to him. Since moving here, I've bought 3 $10 knock off autos just because I could see my getting stopped for offending the general nature of liberal Washatonians, getting it taken, then never showing up in a police report. They'd just 'do me a favor' by not citing me. Maybe that can be a pet project, getting that line added to WA laws....

Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:07 pm

Could dig a Buck 110 auto.

Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:15 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What if you carry a 7" fixed blade on you when youre in the woods????

Or one of these Busse AK-47's?

Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:14 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I carry a B11 in the woods. (11" blade)

Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Xirxious wrote:
I lost the use of my right arm while in Mich. I found they had a specific clause in the laws that allowed auto knifes for any 'one armed man' I bought a lower end Microtech OTF and love it. By lower end, its still $300. I also got a Buck 110 converted to auto, but my cousin liked it so much I gave it to him. Since moving here, I've bought 3 $10 knock off autos just because I could see my getting stopped for offending the general nature of liberal Washatonians, getting it taken, then never showing up in a police report. They'd just 'do me a favor' by not citing me. Maybe that can be a pet project, getting that line added to WA laws....

Back in the late 90's, I made quite a few speed sheaths for lock backs (before the thumb-stud/one hand opening knife craze hit):

Never tested the legality of them, but they are quite handy for one handed opening and sheathing.

Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:55 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

More stupid laws that were never voted on by the people. Knives, swords, daggers, are in fact ARMS. The right to keep and bare arms....we all had swords and such before firearms, it's where the word fire-arms comes from.

Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:26 am
Reply to topic   [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next