Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:59 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Knife Laws in Washington 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

munchie wrote:
More stupid laws that were never voted on by the people. Knives, swords, daggers, are in fact ARMS. The right to keep and bare arms....we all had swords and such before firearms, it's where the word fire-arms comes from.

That's not entirely true, swords required a great deal of training that commoners didn't have the time, money, or educational background to be able to pursue. People didn't just have swords lying about like some of us do now... The firearm was the great equalizer.

Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:41 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DSynger wrote:
People didn't just have swords lying about like some of us do now...

:peep:

Here is one of four walls in my office... and somethings over my dresser ~60 odd sharp things at my place...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"A nation grown free in a single day is a child born with the limbs and the vigour of a man, who would take a drawn sword for his rattle, and set the house in a blaze that he might chuckle over the splendour." Sydney Smith (1771-1845)
Spoiler: show
NOW YOU DID IT...
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:20 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: South Puget Sound (sounds more hoity toity than Puyallup)
Riane wrote:
Hey guys!

I'm an avid aikido practicer and I often have to walk lengthy distances at night. I live in Lynnwood, WA, and have been thinking of taking my sword with me when I do so for my own protection. However, I'm not sure if it's legal and I'm a bit confused with the blade length discussion here. It would be carried in a wooden sheath of course. Does anyone know if this is legal?

I nearly got in trouble walking through Seattle with it once (sheathed as well) on my way to an event.

Why not carry a bokken instead? At least you could make the case it's a "dummy" sword for practice, and you wouldn't run the risk of an overzealous cop making an issue of an edged weapon.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:37 am
Banned

Does the law have a definition for a full auto knife vs a open assist knife for folders?

I know most people know the difference, but I wonder what the law defines as an auto knife.

Fri May 31, 2013 7:45 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Daygoe wrote:
Does the law have a definition for a full auto knife vs a open assist knife for folders?

The RCW Does. http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.250

Quote:
(2) "Spring blade knife" means any knife, including a prototype, model, or other sample, with a blade that is automatically released by a spring mechanism or other mechanical device, or any knife having a blade which opens, or falls, or is ejected into position by the force of gravity, or by an outward, downward, or centrifugal thrust or movement. A knife that contains a spring, detent, or other mechanism designed to create a bias toward closure of the blade and that requires physical exertion applied to the blade by hand, wrist, or arm to overcome the bias toward closure to assist in opening the knife is not a spring blade knife.

Fri May 31, 2013 7:50 am
Profile WWW
Banned

oh cool, that last bit is the key part

Fri May 31, 2013 9:28 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just to update this old-ass thread, Tacoma's law is also 3.5".

http://cms.cityoftacoma.org/cityclerk/F ... Morals.PDF

Quote:
8.66.010 Definitions.

C. “Dangerous knife” means any knife having a blade more than three and one-half inches in length or any dagger, sword,
bayonet, bolo knife, hatchet, straight-edge razor, or razor blade not in its package, dispenser, or shaving appliance.

8.66.080 Unlawful use of weapons.

Quote:
A. Violations. It is unlawful for a person:

1. To sell, manufacture, purchase, possess, or carry any blackjack, sandclub, slungshot, metal knuckles, switchblade knife,
fighting knife, martial arts weapon, ball flail, or electroshock device; or

2. Except as otherwise provided in Section 8.66.090 hereof, to carry on his or her person or in any vehicle any dangerous knife
or deadly weapon; or to sell or give away to any person under 18 years of age any dangerous knife or deadly weapon; or for
any such person to purchase or possess any such dangerous knife or deadly weapon.

Also I think it's hilarious they just went and banned "ball flails". Were they having problems with ball flails in Tacoma?

Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:48 am

Slightly off topic, but all the laws talk about "metal knuckles". What about "non-metal" knuckles?
Like these: http://www.mtknives.com/hbct.html

Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:38 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

1011ty wrote:
Slightly off topic, but all the laws talk about "metal knuckles". What about "non-metal" knuckles?
Like these: http://www.mtknives.com/hbct.html

They aint metal. Rock em, homie.

Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:21 pm

I want non metal knuckles....

Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:52 am

It's cool to bring knives for religious people like sikh but just be sure that anyone wouldn't notice that your'e bringing a knife and don't bother using it for harm.

Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:51 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Would you be able to carry a kukari or is that too big a knife to be able to carry?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:15 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is just for those folks who live, work, and/or frequent those particular cities. While it's not super likely you will be arrested or charged just for the knife, the extra police attention (e.g. from a defensive gun use) could cause more trouble than it's worth. It can be another charge a prosecutor adds on, or the very least is a legal reason your property can be confiscated.

It does seem like the common denominator is 3".

Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:25 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The DUDE Abides wrote:
Wondering because I carry a SOG fixation as back up in my truck. Its double edged and 7" blade.

No. Concealed pistol license.

Kentucky has a concealed deadly weapons license. Knives numb chucks brass uncles are all covered.

Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:11 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jim_dandy wrote:
see previous list

From the looks of this "list" it's about time for the Legislature to step in and pass another "Preemption" bill.

Just think, in Seattle you can be arrested for carrying a paring knife you carry in your lunch box to cut your salami and cheese. It's a fixed blade, right?

I'd be truly f***ed if I carried my K-bar in Seattle. Screw-em. I think I'll just carry my CZ that holds 20 rounds instead :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:56 am
Reply to topic   [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next