Switch to full style
This is the place to discuss the how, when, where and why we carry.
Post a reply

Re: Knife Laws in Washington

Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:43 am

The DUDE wrote:Can you carry one on You concealed if you have a cpl?

I dont know the question to your answer, but I do know this.....a CPL is for a concealed PISTOL, nothing else. thumbsup

Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:51 am

Sure.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:03 am

You can carry a concealed knife without a permit. A CPL is a "License to carry a concealed PISTOL". Has nothing to do with a knife.

RCW 9.41.250 explains that it is illegal to "(b) Furtively carries with intent to conceal any dagger, dirk, pistol, or other dangerous weapon; or"
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.250

So, you are legal as long as you are not concealing it to be shifty, secretive with ill intent etc.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:10 am

I like knives.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:14 am

Thank you Dan, That's what I was looking for.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:23 am

The CPL is for a pistol only, and doesn't apply to knives or other weapons.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:54 am

Massivedesign wrote:You can carry a concealed knife without a permit. A CPL is a "License to carry a concealed PISTOL". Has nothing to do with a knife.

RCW 9.41.250 explains that it is illegal to "(b) Furtively carries with intent to conceal any dagger, dirk, pistol, or other dangerous weapon; or"
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.250

So, you are legal as long as you are not concealing it to be shifty, secretive with ill intent etc.

So if I'm walking around with my K-Bar on my belt, just going about my business, and the City doesn't have a law prohibiting knives with fixed blades or ones with a blade longer than a mouse's pecker, I'm good as long as it's openly carried?

BTW, does WA Law consider a K-Bar or any other "hunting style" knife a "dagger or dirk"?

Seems like the same "Patchwork of Laws" exists for knives as well as what used to be in effect for firearms. Preemption time for knives too?

Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:54 pm

Ugh, I feel like a doofus for asking, but what is the situation for Tomahawks? I bought a SOG M48 Style Tomahawk that I plan to carry while hiking in the Mountains. Would I "Get in Trouble" for carrying one on I.E. Mt. Pilchuck Trail?

Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:09 am

Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:38 am

Nope, a good multi-tool is a part of every hikers gear.

Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:17 pm

(moved)
Last edited by DocNugent on Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:32 pm

No. Concealed PISTOL license

Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:31 pm

The DUDE Abides wrote:Can you carry one on You concealed if you have a cpl?

negative, our CPL does not cover anything but pistols.

Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:37 pm

Just carry all your daggers, dirks, auto-knives, balisong wakizashis and stuff in a chef's knife bag and keep a chef's hat in your glove box.

Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:19 pm

Geez most of my collection is illegal here. Sniff sniff.
Post a reply