Switch to full style
This is the place to discuss the how, when, where and why we carry.
Post a reply

School function, what do you guys do?

Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:33 pm

I’m sitting in the parking lot of a school waiting for my kids activity to start and wondering what you guys do in these situations? I have to get out of my car. I had considered carrying anyway, or leaving it unloaded in the trunk (don’t like not having it on me). Ultimately decided not to bring it. Just curious what others do in similar situations.

J

Re: School function, what do you guys do?

Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:35 pm

From a legal standpoint that’s pretty clear. Cut and dry.
Do not take it into the building or other surrounding school property.

It is totally legal to have your firearm on you while picking up and dropping off on school grounds (with a CPL or equivalent) but that’s it.
Meaning if you get out of your car. That’s the cutoff. You can’t from a legal standpoint.


And no you can’t drive your car into the building either...



Some links -
Exemptions
Exemptions to state and federal prohibitions on possession of firearms are made for persons who are licensed by the state to carry a concealed pistol. The GFSZA provides an allowance for licensed persons to possess firearms within 1000 feet of a school, and state law allows those licensed to carry a concealed pistol to possess a firearm on school grounds while picking up or dropping off a student. State law prohibits loaded firearms inside school facilities except for security and law enforcement.

http://www.k12.wa.us/safetycenter/Weapons/default.aspx

Re: School function, what do you guys do?

Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:09 pm

If i was carrying and i had to get out of the Car and enter the School i would leave it in the Car. On the flip side of that, all it would take is some Mom seeing you pulling it out and putting it under the seat to cause a full SWAT response. icon_eek
If i was just doing a trip to School and back for a Pickup where i might have to go inside, i would probably just Leave it at home and avoid any issue at all.

Re: School function, what do you guys do?

Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:36 pm

oldkim wrote:From a legal standpoint that’s pretty clear. Cut and dry.
Do not take it into the building or other surrounding school property.

It is totally legal to have your firearm on you while picking up and dropping off on school grounds (with a CPL or equivalent) but that’s it.
Meaning if you get out of your car. That’s the cutoff. You can’t from a legal standpoint.


And no you can’t drive your car into the building either...



Some links -
Exemptions
Exemptions to state and federal prohibitions on possession of firearms are made for persons who are licensed by the state to carry a concealed pistol. The GFSZA provides an allowance for licensed persons to possess firearms within 1000 feet of a school, and state law allows those licensed to carry a concealed pistol to possess a firearm on school grounds while picking up or dropping off a student. State law prohibits loaded firearms inside school facilities except for security and law enforcement.

http://www.k12.wa.us/safetycenter/Weapons/default.aspx


This. And then knowing where exits are, and being aware. Not much else you can do.

Re: School function, what do you guys do?

Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:31 pm

Concealed..............is concealed?




Lol, is that the wrong answer?





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: School function, what do you guys do?

Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:38 pm

Mr. Q wrote:Concealed..............is concealed?




Lol, is that the wrong answer?





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


For a School i would say Yes, wrong answer.

Don't do it.

Re: School function, what do you guys do?

Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:00 pm

You get into not just a state law but into Federal laws.

From a legal standpoint. Don’t do it.
It’s simply not worth the after effects to your life and even the ones you are protecting (as they will turn on you on a dime).

The math is simple from a jurors standpoint. 1+1 = jail for you.

Re: School function, what do you guys do?

Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:03 pm

There are places where you just can't carry. You need to develop a different tool or skill for those places

Re: School function, what do you guys do?

Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:12 pm

washington state RCW 9.41.280 (http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.280)
lists, under *exemptons*
"(e) Any person in possession of a pistol who has been issued a license under RCW 9.41.070, or is exempt from the licensing requirement by RCW 9.41.060, while picking up or dropping off a student;"
so...I think you are good, and crazyinhead if you take legal advice from dudes on the internet...
I don't think getting out of the car is germain, if your kid is inside the building, you'd have to go inside to "pick them up."

Re: School function, what do you guys do?

Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:42 pm

My kids were all home schooled, with group class twice a month. Most all of the parents carry, as well as one of the course instructors. Home school education: the only way to teach your kids.

Re: School function, what do you guys do?

Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:13 pm

Arisaka wrote:There are places where you just can't carry. You need to develop a different tool or skill for those places



i've gained weight. guess i'm fucked. :ROFLMAO:

Re: School function, what do you guys do?

Tue May 21, 2019 10:26 am

quantsuff wrote:washington state RCW 9.41.280 (http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.280)
lists, under *exemptons*
"(e) Any person in possession of a pistol who has been issued a license under RCW 9.41.070, or is exempt from the licensing requirement by RCW 9.41.060, while picking up or dropping off a student;"
so...I think you are good, and crazyinhead if you take legal advice from dudes on the internet...
I don't think getting out of the car is germain, if your kid is inside the building, you'd have to go inside to "pick them up."


This is something I’ve been wondering about, it doesn’t specify that you must remain in a vehicle while picking up or dropping off, however it’s very clear that you can’t enter the building as part of this exemption.

(6) Except as provided in subsection (3)(b), (c), (f), and (h) of this section, firearms are not permitted in a public or private school building.


So if you need to get out of your vehicle to drop off and pick up your kids, which is usually the case for younger students, it appears to be fine under the law as long as you don’t enter the building.


Sent from my UAV using Disposition Matrix 3.0

Re: School function, what do you guys do?

Tue May 21, 2019 10:57 am

Mr. Q wrote:
Arisaka wrote:There are places where you just can't carry. You need to develop a different tool or skill for those places



i've gained weight. guess i'm fucked. :ROFLMAO:



It's called Tactical Girth.

Re: School function, what do you guys do?

Tue May 21, 2019 11:09 am

Mr. Q wrote:Concealed..............is concealed?

Lol, is that the wrong answer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Correct answer.

The first rule of concealed club, don't talk about concealed carry.

If your so worried about carrying in there and something legal happening because you used your piece to protect yourself or your kid, then lay there like a bitch with it in your pocket and let the perp shoot your ass. Just because you didn't leave it in your car, doesn't mean you have to pull it out either.

Then you wont have to defend your actions in a state or federal court. Dead victims (you) get charged with nothing.


I really have NO USE for folks that leave guns in cars. Leave it on your person or in your safe. Losers rob cars with guns daily. Don't contribute to that. Just my $.02

Re: School function, what do you guys do?

Tue May 21, 2019 3:26 pm

For the 13 years my kid was in public school, and when I was with him on the UW ca mpus, I followed the "Don't ask, don't tell" doctrine. I'm pretty sure ther e were a few others that did too, but I didn't ask, and they didn't tell.

In my estimation, if I had really needed to use a firearm, then the benefit to cost ratio would have been well worth it. I'm not advocating any position for others. Everybody should weigh, be comfortable with, and accept the consequences of their own actions.
Post a reply