Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:50 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Nothing contained in this section shall be construed as legal advice. All members and guests are advised to perform due diligence in regards to laws and legal actions.

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Looking for 48ish State Legal firearm while travel 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is there one basic type of firearm (pump shotgun, single shot, bolt action etc) that is legal to have loaded in a personal vehicle in most of the continental US? I’ve traveled up and down the west coast and looking to push as far as maybe Ohio with many states in between. Nothing east of that. I realize pistols would be out. But long guns? I read the sticky’d Link but not exactly what I’m looking for. Or even just to posses unlocked, but also unloaded (side saddle) etc. at worst, a single shot carbine or shotgun? What do truckers carry? I’ve occasionally seen them use flaregun insert to .410/45 etc as the frame of the FG isn’t an actual firearm. Any credence to that?

Things I’ll take in trade: KAC Micro rear sight, Glock 29 G3/G4 slide, Glock 20/29/19/17/22/23/21 mags, TC Encore parts

Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:29 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Long guns will be illegal to have loaded in most states while driving.

I suspect it would have to be a pre1899 gun or a black powder gun.

Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:39 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

I have an Olin cast iron flare gun from 1970 (carrying case stamped Sept 14 1973, which was the date the flares expired).
Chamber is 12 gauge X 1 5/8". Barrel is 1/4" thick at it's thinnest point which is L and R side of muzzle.

Never fired it, looks new. Didn't come with any flares. Very sturdy.
I heard Olin discontinued them because people were cutting down shotgun shells or extending the chamber and using 2 3/4" target loads. People collect these for some reason.

Plastic flare guns will blow up with a firearm insert in them.
And a flare will just bounce off someone.

Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:55 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Long guns are a no go I think federally. Get a UT/AZ CPL to carry a loaded handgun.

Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Simple answer - No

Every state will be a challenge as you navigate from state to state. What is your route of travel or as I’m guessing it’s more of an administrative general question of wanting as many states.

It’s almost easier to limit the easy ones. Calif and Oregon as they are definitely “unique islands”.

I say Oregon as they do not recognize any other state unless you have theirs. Calif - well shit. What nice thing can you say about Calif as to gun laws.

As for totally legal having a firearm as you travel from state to state - unloaded, locked in trunk and Ammo in another locked case. Remember some states have magazine capacity limits and just having a “high capacity mag” can land you jail time.

Sadly, simplest would be an unloaded revolver. No mag capacity worry about, no magazine and it’s easy to have unloaded and have speed loaders.

Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:27 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No.

Spend an hour, go to one of the trusted online sources like https://www.handgunlaw.us and plot your course.

In short, few/none allow loaded long guns. So you're looking at pistols, loaded or unloaded, open or concealed depending on licensing.

Print off each page, and know the law before entering and traveling the state. You can generally plan pretty well if you review each, and plot a sensible route, and make some simple notes to reference.

If you have time, get whatever non-resident licenses you require. Generally a UT or FL license will cover most states and is affordable.

And if you come through Boise stop and say hi.

Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]