Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:26 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Nothing contained in this section shall be construed as legal advice. All members and guests are advised to perform due diligence in regards to laws and legal actions.

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Does WA really regulate Black Powder Guns? 

Edit, NO further help needed here. Come to find out the laws are like a lot of WA laws. Poorly written and defined. Need a lawyer just to be sure....

Mods feel free to delete this thread.

Started looking into getting a 1851 Navy .44 and found this. Could hardly believe what I was reading.

https://www.answers.com/Q/What_are_gun_ ... gton_state

Can anyone who's gone through the process tell me how it goes? The link does not go into detail.

Can I buy one in Idaho and walk out the door? Can I buy on line and ship it to Idaho without breaking a law?

Last edited by WA Gun Smuggler on Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:45 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Seriously, man you've got to be a plant, looking for controversial responses to post online at other websites.

In your short time here, many threads that you start, always have some controversial topic, such as...buying firearms across state lines, or something, that is in the gray area as far as state .vs state law...

One thread, you're ready to militia, the next one, an 1851 Black Powder Gun...across state lines...like an antique Black Powder gun is the best in a critical militia response....

And, if someone makes a valid point in a thread, you move on, without responding, to the next controversial one...

Seems odd...

Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:07 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Err, you need to stop reading random websites and start reading the law. In particular, #1:
https://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.010

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:48 pm

NWGunner wrote:
Seriously, man you've got to be a plant, looking for controversial responses to post online at other websites.

In your short time here, many threads that you start, always have some controversial topic, such as...buying firearms across state lines, or something, that is in the gray area as far as state .vs state law...

One thread, you're ready to militia, the next one, an 1851 Black Powder Gun...across state lines...like an antique Black Powder gun is the best in a critical militia response....

And, if someone makes a valid point in a thread, you move on, without responding, to the next controversial one...

Seems odd...

Please don't be an assuming *** and post such BS. I am no plant. The reason I ask the questions I do is because unlike the majority of people on here I live three miles away from Idaho. And my interests have changed since 1639 and I am looking into other areas.

If a mod wants to contact me direct and look at me I have proof I am just a regular dude. Not hard and I have nothing to hide. Is that enough now?

Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:52 pm

MadPick wrote:
Err, you need to stop reading random websites and start reading the law. In particular, #1:

Oh that's easy enough to do. Not really. In looking all I found was laws on mussel loaders and hunting. What section in the link you posted addresses taking delivery of black powder replicas? I'm sure to read that part if I knew where it was.

I found this where some discussion says the laws regulating them were repealed in 1994

https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threa ... rms.91031/

If I was not confused by all the conflicting information I am finding on the web I'd not be here asking, you know the people I trust, being you people in the gun community.

Last edited by WA Gun Smuggler on Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:56 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

WA Gun Smuggler wrote:
MadPick wrote:

Oh that's easy nougat to do. Not really. In looking all I found was laws on mussel loaders and hunting. What section in the link you posted addresses taking delivery of black powder replicas? I'm sure to read that part if I knew where it was.

I found this where some discussion says the laws regulating them were repealed in 1994

If I was not confused by all the conflicting information I am finding on the web I'd not be here asking, you know the people I trust, being you people in the gun community.

The Revised Code of Washington (RCW) is, if anything, like sifting through grains of rice to find maggots.... The page Madpick linked you is the beginning of the Chapter, the "definitions page", where it spells out what Washington State considers to be firearms, descriptions of said, and the exception for "antique firearm" status, among other things.

Being as a firearm is defined the way it is, it includes muzzleloading long guns, and cap & ball revolvers. There is some gray area in the interpretation of the antique firearm definition due to poor wording with the 'replica' comment but at any rate, if you can figure it out you'll be far ahead of most people.

They're all 'firearms' though. That's also why felons in this State who have not received their firearms rights back cannot hunt legally with black powder. Archery only.

Last edited by CQBgopher on Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:02 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

WA Gun Smuggler wrote:
MadPick wrote:

Oh that's easy nougat to do. Not really. In looking all I found was laws on mussel loaders and hunting. What section in the link you posted addresses taking delivery of black powder replicas? I'm sure to read that part if I knew where it was.

I think the point is, either read the law, or get an attorney.

You're seeking legal advice on the Internet with people you've interacted with for less than 5 months...b

Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:04 am

The RCWs are not that bad for regulations basically written by idiots. As long as you have not been convicted of a felony it can be shipped to your house or you can pick it up. I bought a Ruger Old Army since 1639 on lay away no problem and no paperwork other then a receipt.

Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:15 am

dan360 wrote:
WA Gun Smuggler wrote:
MadPick wrote:

The Revised Code of Washington (RCW) is, if anything, like sifting through grains of rice to find maggots.... The page Madpick linked you is the beginning of the Chapter, the "definitions page", where it spells out what Washington State considers to be firearms, descriptions of said, and the exception for "antique firearm" status, among other things.

Being as a firearm is defined the way it is, it includes muzzleloading long guns, and cap & ball revolvers. There is some gray area in the interpretation of the antique firearm definition due to poor wording with the 'replica' comment but at any rate, if you can figure it out you'll be far ahead of most people.

They're all 'firearms' though. That's also why felons in this State who have not received their firearms rights back cannot hunt legally with black powder. Archery only.

Like maggots in rice and you need to be a damn lawyer to answer the simplest of questions yes! Thank you for your post, you seem to "get it". And did not have to call me a troll or ATF plant. Why can't all members be like you?

All that reading did was confuse me more. I think I'll go try and buy one and see what happens. The dealers and stores know what they are doing mostly. Cabellas does NOT list WA as a no ship state even tho a post in the thread I linked has it as such. Maybe they did before and revised it.

Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:16 am

NWGunner wrote:
WA Gun Smuggler wrote:
MadPick wrote:

You're seeking legal advice on the Internet with people you've interacted with for less than 5 months...b

Yes and only found out with in the last hour it's a confusing Gray area. One does not know until one starts looking into it. I certainly did not open the can of worms to annoy anyone just had a question.

Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:18 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

WA Gun Smuggler wrote:
NWGunner wrote:
WA Gun Smuggler wrote:
MadPick wrote:

Yes and only found out with in the last hour it's a confusing Gray area. One does not know until one starts looking into it. I certainly did not open the can of worms to annoy anyone just had a question.

I never called you a troll, nor accused you of being with the ATF...

If the questions & subjects you post about are legit, it seems odd that you would be upset with being challenged.

Every shooting, every new law, and every new referendum, sends both anti-gunners, and reporters, to gun websites for ammo (pun intended :bigsmile: )

We challenge newbies..."what do you like to shoot?", "where?", "what do you own?", etc....

Over 95% laugh and say what they're into. The only ones who get mad, or leave, are the ones who can't articulate what they're into, because they have nefarious intent.

With the concerns you've exhibited across many threads, it seems odd that you would get so upset with someone who's never met you asking about your intent before they share gun information.

Sorry I offended you, I'll try to stay off your threads.

Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:29 am

NWGunner wrote:
WA Gun Smuggler wrote:
NWGunner wrote:
WA Gun Smuggler wrote:
MadPick wrote:

I never called you a troll, nor accused you of being with the ATF...

If the questions & subjects you post about are legit, it seems odd that you would be upset with being challenged.

Every shooting, every new law, and every new referendum, sends both anti-gunners, and reporters, to gun websites for ammo (pun intended :bigsmile: )

We challenge newbies..."what do you like to shoot?", "where?", "what do you own?", etc....

Over 95% laugh and say what they're into. The only ones who get mad, or leave, are the ones who can't articulate what they're into, because they have nefarious intent.

With the concerns you've exhibited across many threads, it seems odd that you would get so upset with someone who's never met you asking about your intent before they share gun information.

Sorry I offended you, I'll try to stay off your threads.

I don't like to be accused to things I am not doing. And you can play semantics if you want you did accuse me of something. Then you post this trying to pigeon hole me into your narrative. Well I don't play that game. You can say what you want and I can say what I want.

But yes that is indeed a good suggestion. If you don't like my threads by all means don't read them. Problem solves and no drama need be spread. Have a good rest of your morning.

Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:40 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There are sellers on gunbroker that sell black powder firearms that will only mail to an FFL, which adds to the confusion.

Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:10 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

The bottom line is that there’s no background check required, you can buy and sell at will.

With that said, I’m told that if you buy the Rem 700 muzzleloader from a store, they’ll do a background check because it uses the same receiver than the smokeless powder rifles do.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:56 am

~
It's my understanding that the RCW was amended a few years ago to require any BP handgun shipment to go through an FFL. See comment #2 in this thread

Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:10 am
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next