Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:01 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Nothing contained in this section shall be construed as legal advice. All members and guests are advised to perform due diligence in regards to laws and legal actions.

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Does WA really regulate Black Powder Guns? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Capn Blood wrote:
~
It's my understanding that the RCW was amended a few years ago to require any BP handgun shipment to go through an FFL. See comment #2 in this thread

https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threa ... rms.91031/

Straight from the RCW.

https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.010

"RCW 9.41.010

Terms defined.

Unless the context clearly requires otherwise, the definitions in this section apply throughout this chapter.

(1) "Antique firearm" means a firearm or replica of a firearm not designed or redesigned for using rim fire or conventional center fire ignition with fixed ammunition and manufactured in or before 1898, including any matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system and also any firearm using fixed ammunition manufactured in or before 1898, for which ammunition is no longer manufactured in the United States and is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade."

https://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.113

RCW 9.41.113

Firearm sales or transfers—Background checks—Requirements—Exceptions....

(4) This section does not apply to:

(a) A transfer between immediate family members, which for this subsection shall be limited to spouses, domestic partners, parents, parents-in-law, children, siblings, siblings-in-law, grandparents, grandchildren, nieces, nephews, first cousins, aunts, and uncles, that is a bona fide gift or loan;

(b) The sale or transfer of an antique firearm;

Edit to add: Just went as far as I could go on MidwayUSA for ordering a BP pistol, shipping address, etc. With my home address in WA, all good. As soon as I changed the address to one in NJ (random example of a subject state), a pop up informed me I couldn't ship the BP pistol there and would either have to remove it from the cart or change the shipping address.

Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:55 am

~
https://www.answers.com/Q/What_are_gun_ ... gton_state

Quote:
Black Powder pistols fall under the same category as modern handguns/firearms in Washington State. You must meet the same requirements to purchase and/or be in possession of one the same as if it were a Glock 9mm. A black powder firearm is regulated under Washington State Law and requires all state mandated transfer requirements (page 9 WA State DOL Firearms Dealer Training Manual) and under Washington State Law, if you are prohibited from owning or possessing a modern firearm, you are prohibited from owning a black powder firearm as well. This is a fairly recent change in Washington (within the last couple of years) and over 90% of the states, including California and even Washington, D.C. have no such requirements in order to purchase, own or possess a black powder firearm be it rifle or hand gun. Prior tothis change, you simply needed to provide i.d to prove you were of age (18), lay down the money and walk out the door.

Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:33 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Capn Blood wrote:
~

Quote:
Black Powder pistols fall under the same category as modern handguns/firearms in Washington State. You must meet the same requirements to purchase and/or be in possession of one the same as if it were a Glock 9mm. A black powder firearm is regulated under Washington State Law and requires all state mandated transfer requirements (page 9 WA State DOL Firearms Dealer Training Manual) and under Washington State Law, if you are prohibited from owning or possessing a modern firearm, you are prohibited from owning a black powder firearm as well. This is a fairly recent change in Washington (within the last couple of years) and over 90% of the states, including California and even Washington, D.C. have no such requirements in order to purchase, own or possess a black powder firearm be it rifle or hand gun. Prior tothis change, you simply needed to provide i.d to prove you were of age (18), lay down the money and walk out the door.
Random bullshit from the internet does not trump the law (RCW). Point out a relevant passage of the RCW to back your claim or quit with the "well, random link on the internet sez..."

Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:04 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

beckdw wrote:
Capn Blood wrote:
~
It's my understanding that the RCW was amended a few years ago to require any BP handgun shipment to go through an FFL. See comment #2 in this thread

https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threa ... rms.91031/

Straight from the RCW.

https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.010

"RCW 9.41.010

Terms defined.

Unless the context clearly requires otherwise, the definitions in this section apply throughout this chapter.

(1) "Antique firearm" means a firearm or replica of a firearm not designed or redesigned for using rim fire or conventional center fire ignition with fixed ammunition and manufactured in or before 1898, including any matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system and also any firearm using fixed ammunition manufactured in or before 1898, for which ammunition is no longer manufactured in the United States and is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade."

https://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.113

RCW 9.41.113

Firearm sales or transfers—Background checks—Requirements—Exceptions....

(4) This section does not apply to:

(a) A transfer between immediate family members, which for this subsection shall be limited to spouses, domestic partners, parents, parents-in-law, children, siblings, siblings-in-law, grandparents, grandchildren, nieces, nephews, first cousins, aunts, and uncles, that is a bona fide gift or loan;

(b) The sale or transfer of an antique firearm;

Edit to add: Just went as far as I could go on MidwayUSA for ordering a BP pistol, shipping address, etc. With my home address in WA, all good. As soon as I changed the address to one in NJ (random example of a subject state), a pop up informed me I couldn't ship the BP pistol there and would either have to remove it from the cart or change the shipping address.

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:09 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

beckdw wrote:
Capn Blood wrote:
~

Quote:
Random bullshit from the internet does not trump the law (RCW). Point out a relevant passage of the RCW to back your claim or quit with the "well, random link on the internet sez..."

Exactly. Beckdw, thank you for quoting the RCWs . . . I had them all pulled up and was going to the same, before I saw that you had already done it. :bow:

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:22 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All I know is, in the last few months I have bought 3 BP pistols online from 3 different vendors... And the last one will arrive at my door this week....

Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2