Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:06 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Nothing contained in this section shall be construed as legal advice. All members and guests are advised to perform due diligence in regards to laws and legal actions.

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Dual Citizen Laws? 

Hello all,

I live in BC Canada and am a Canadian/American dual citizen. I often visit my mother in WA and was wondering the legalities of me taking her Glock 19 to the range or to the woods for target practice?

As a dual citizen I have a US passport, and my ID and drivers license are canadian, would I need her in attendance or is it totally legal for me to go alone? This has never been clear to me.

Cheers guys!

Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:46 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

First post!! :wavey:

Since you are a U.S. citizen, I don't see any issues from that standpoint. The problem that you'll have is with Washington state's law, compliments of the idiotic Initiative 594 two years ago, that regulates "transfers" of firearms. The law is a bit vague, but I think most would agree that it makes it illegal for her to let you borrow the gun for a solo range trip.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:35 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The law is less hazy if she goes with you. On the bright side at least you don't have to secure a permit from the federal police to transport a pistol from your house to any given destination ahead of time like some places *cough* Canada *cough*; because we all know that would stop someone who was already set on breaking laws right in their tracks.

welcomewgo

Spoiler: show
"Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm -- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves." – T.S. Eliot

"The right of self defence is the first law of nature: in most governments it has been the study of rulers to confine this right within the narrowest limits possible. Wherever standing armies are kept up, and the right of the people to keep and bear arms is, under any colour or pretext whatsoever, prohibited, liberty, if not already annihilated, is on the brink of destruction." - St. George Tucker

A careful definition of words would destroy half the agenda of the political left and scrutinizing evidence would destroy the other half. - Thomas Sowell

"To ban guns because criminals use them is to tell the innocent and law-abiding that their rights and liberties depend not on their own conduct, but on the conduct of the guilty and the lawless, and that the law will permit them to have only such rights and liberties as the lawless will allow...

For society does not control crime, ever, by forcing the law-abiding to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of criminals. Society controls crime by forcing the criminals to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of the law-abiding." - Jeff Snyder

Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud, and the rifle is the queen of personal weapons. The possession of a good rifle, as well as the skill to use it well, truly makes a man the monarch of all he surveys. It realizes the ancient dream of the Jovian thunderbolt, and as such it is the embodiment of personal power. For this reason it exercises a curious influence over the minds of most men, and in its best examples it constitutes an object of affection unmatched by any other inanimate object.

Jeff Cooper
1997 The Art of the Rifle Page 1.

SUGGEST CASE BE SUBMITTED ON APPELLANT'S BRIEF. UNABLE TO OBTAIN ANY MONEY FROM CLIENTS TO BE PRESENT & ARGUE BRIEF.

The defense attorney's telegram to the clerk of the Supreme Court, March 29, 1939, in re United States. v. Miller.

You don't need to go to Law School to understand the constitutional implications of that.

“You can’t cut the throat of every cocksucker whose character it would improve.”
cityslicker wrote:
I don't want to be told that I can't remove the tree by some tree-hugging pole smoker from the eat-a-dick foundation/Olympia/King County.

Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:53 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is an exemption for gifts between members of immediate family:

"(4) This section does not apply to:

A transfer between immediate family members, which for this subsection shall be limited to spouses, domestic partners, parents, children, siblings, grandparents, grandchildren, nieces, nephews, first cousins, aunts, and uncles, that is a bona fide gift;"

So, she can gift it to you, and you can gift it to her, no background check required.

Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:00 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

ANZAC wrote:

A transfer between immediate family members, which for this subsection shall be limited to spouses, domestic partners, parents, children, siblings, grandparents, grandchildren, nieces, nephews, first cousins, aunts, and uncles, that is a bona fide gift;"

So, she can gift it to you, and you can gift it to her, no background check required.

Yeah . . . with a wink and a nod, and hope you never need to defend it.

Come on, ANZAC. Don't play both sides here.

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:03 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

I've been shooting for almost 40 years, never had anyone ask me for a guns serial number or where I got it from.
If the cops are trying to find out where you got a particular gun from, you have much bigger problems than a 594 charge.

Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:15 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
ANZAC wrote:

Yeah . . . with a wink and a nod, and hope you never need to defend it.

Come on, ANZAC. Don't play both sides here.

She could give it to him, and store it in a safe there for his use.

The text says transfers include gifts and loans, and so the exception to the rule requiring a background check for transfers including gift and loans includes immediate family members. With this exception that is in the law, I think you would be hard pressed to find a cop that would interpret it as being illegal for a mother to give her son a gun to go and use.

Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:10 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

ANZAC wrote:
The text says transfers include gifts and loans, and so the exception to the rule requiring a background check for transfers including gift and loans includes immediate family members.

Cite please . . . where does it say that loans to family members are allowed? Educate me.

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:21 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah, I'd like a citation for the legality of loaning too.

I don't think the "gift" thing would fly if someone wanted to be a prick about it.

bona fide adj
[Latin, in good faith]
1 a : characterized by good faith and lack of fraud or deceit [a bona fide offer]
b : valid under or in compliance with the law [retirement incentives made part of a bona fide employee benefit plan]
2 : made with or characterized by sincerity [a bona fide belief]
3 : being real or genuine [bona fide residents]

gift n
1 : an intentional and gratuitous transfer of real or personal property by a donor with legal capacity who actually or constructively delivers the property to the donee with the intent of giving up dominion over the property and investing it in the donee who accepts it

Source:
http://dictionary.findlaw.com/definition/bona-fide.html
http://dictionary.findlaw.com/definition/gift.html

"Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm -- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves." – T.S. Eliot

"The right of self defence is the first law of nature: in most governments it has been the study of rulers to confine this right within the narrowest limits possible. Wherever standing armies are kept up, and the right of the people to keep and bear arms is, under any colour or pretext whatsoever, prohibited, liberty, if not already annihilated, is on the brink of destruction." - St. George Tucker

A careful definition of words would destroy half the agenda of the political left and scrutinizing evidence would destroy the other half. - Thomas Sowell

"To ban guns because criminals use them is to tell the innocent and law-abiding that their rights and liberties depend not on their own conduct, but on the conduct of the guilty and the lawless, and that the law will permit them to have only such rights and liberties as the lawless will allow...

For society does not control crime, ever, by forcing the law-abiding to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of criminals. Society controls crime by forcing the criminals to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of the law-abiding." - Jeff Snyder

Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud, and the rifle is the queen of personal weapons. The possession of a good rifle, as well as the skill to use it well, truly makes a man the monarch of all he surveys. It realizes the ancient dream of the Jovian thunderbolt, and as such it is the embodiment of personal power. For this reason it exercises a curious influence over the minds of most men, and in its best examples it constitutes an object of affection unmatched by any other inanimate object.

Jeff Cooper

SUGGEST CASE BE SUBMITTED ON APPELLANT'S BRIEF. UNABLE TO OBTAIN ANY MONEY FROM CLIENTS TO BE PRESENT & ARGUE BRIEF.

The defense attorney's telegram to the clerk of the Supreme Court, March 29, 1939, in re United States. v. Miller.

You don't need to go to Law School to understand the constitutional implications of that.

“You can’t cut the throat of every cocksucker whose character it would improve.”
cityslicker wrote:
I don't want to be told that I can't remove the tree by some tree-hugging pole smoker from the eat-a-dick foundation/Olympia/King County.

Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:36 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I believe if it is within the family it is ok to transfer and won't need a bg check. I'd take it out anyway. Just keep it locked and unloaded in the trunk during the car ride to the range.

Divided we fall.

Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:40 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
ANZAC wrote:
The text says transfers include gifts and loans, and so the exception to the rule requiring a background check for transfers including gift and loans includes immediate family members.

Cite please . . . where does it say that loans to family members are allowed? Educate me.

It says that transfers, which are defined to include gifts and loans, do not require a background check for transfers to family members.

Nowhere is a gift defined as not a loan.

"(25) "Transfer" means the intended delivery of a firearm to another person without consideration of payment or promise of payment including, but not limited to, gifts and loans."

So, as long as it is without consideration of payment, transfers include gifts and loans.

"A transfer (INCLUDING GIFTS AND LOANS - from the definition) between immediate family members, which for this subsection shall be limited to spouses, domestic partners, parents, children, siblings, grandparents, grandchildren, nieces, nephews, first cousins, aunts, and uncles, that is a bona fide gift;"

If they meant ONLY gifts and not all transfers, they would have said the exception was "A GIFT between immediate family members".

(by bona-fide gift, they mean no money changing hands)

Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:07 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ANZAC wrote:
MadPick wrote:
ANZAC wrote:

It says that transfers, which are defined to include gifts and loans, do not require a background check for transfers to family members.

Nowhere is a gift defined as not a loan.

"(25) "Transfer" means the intended delivery of a firearm to another person without consideration of payment or promise of payment including, but not limited to, gifts and loans."

So, as long as it is without consideration of payment, transfers include gifts and loans.

"A transfer (INCLUDING GIFTS AND LOANS - from the definition) between immediate family members, which for this subsection shall be limited to spouses, domestic partners, parents, children, siblings, grandparents, grandchildren, nieces, nephews, first cousins, aunts, and uncles, that is a bona fide gift;"

If they meant ONLY gifts and not all transfers, they would have said the exception was "A GIFT between immediate family members".

(by bona-fide gift, they mean no money changing hands)

Your reading of the law in question is broad.

Quote:
(4) This section does not apply to:
(a) A transfer between immediate family members, which for this
subsection shall be limited to spouses, domestic partners, parents,
children, siblings, grandparents, grandchildren, nieces, nephews,
first cousins, aunts, and uncles, that is a bona fide gift;

(b) The sale or transfer of an antique firearm;
(c) A temporary transfer of possession of a firearm if such
transfer is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm
to the person to whom the firearm is transferred if:
(i) The temporary transfer only lasts as long as immediately
necessary to prevent such imminent death or great bodily harm

A simpler way of saying the above is:
This section does not apply to a transfer between immediate family members... that is a bona fide gift. As soon as they put down the words "that is a bona fide gift" they modified the definition of "transfer" as it applies to this particular subsection of the law.

In other words bona fide gifts between family members are excepted but loans are only excepted for an express purpose which doesn't include a trip to the range.

*Edited to correct formatting errors.

Jeff Cooper

cityslicker wrote:

Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:34 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In addition since it has not been cited clearly yet on this thread (including by me so don't get your panties in a wad anyone) below is the link to the actual final text of I-594 direct from the WA Secretary of State website:

https://sos.wa.gov/_assets/elections/initiatives/FinalText_483.pdf

Jeff Cooper

cityslicker wrote:

Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:42 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

594...... Clear as muddy water, just the way they wanted it.

Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]