Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:29 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Nothing contained in this section shall be construed as legal advice. All members and guests are advised to perform due diligence in regards to laws and legal actions.

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Open carry of an AR15 on a motorcycle 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

kf7mjf wrote:
Same advice I'd say for OCing anywhere. Carry it in a reasonable fashion. Let them call the cops. I had a Mercer Island cop casually chat me up waiting for a bus there over OC because somebody called *shrug*. Most cops know the score on OC and I don't think a single department wants the liability from a protracted stop.

Also, Ruger .41 mag blackhawk with a 6.5" barrel. Or sometimes a Makarov I had some lib get in my face screaming at me a couple years back over it while I was waiting for a bus in Seattle. It was funny. Cops saw it, they wanted to see my CPL before I boarded the bus, then a few days later the Sheriff's department called to apologize for making me show my CPL and said that wasn't their policy and that they'd educate their transit cops on it.

As for why? Meh. Because I can. Because I don't feel like having to hide my gun. Personal comfort, personal choice.

Wouldn't you need a CPL to carry a loaded pistol OC in a vehicle? So when they required you to show one prior to boarding the bus, is that not indeed the requirement?....or am I missing something?

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:15 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You do need a CPL to carry loaded in a vehicle. The question is if they had the right to stop me and make me show that CPL absent any evidence I was in fact not eligible to carry loaded in a vehicle.

In other words they didn't have any articulable reason that I was not eligible.

"...steam, artillery and revolvers give to civilized man an irresistible power." -Perry Collins

Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:16 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oh, ok. That makes sense.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:34 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To their credit, they admitted their mistake. I believe they said the officers had transferred over from SPD recently.

"...steam, artillery and revolvers give to civilized man an irresistible power." -Perry Collins

Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:46 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for all the responses guys. I even took a firearms law class and failed to come up with the answer to this one, mostly because it was a motorcycle, so the rifle was not concealed. Stupid confusing, convoluted laws.

Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
deadshot2 wrote:
Keeps dirt and shit, blood and body parts from flying up into the empty magwell. It is a motorcycle he's carrying on you know. Not the inside of an air conditioned vehicle with cabin air filter, etc.

FIFY

Thank you. I am just recovering from a monster cold and was at a loss for words.

Having had a couple M/C accidents in my life I don't think I'd want to carry any long gun on my back. With my luck it would just be something else to beat the crap out of me while tumbling along the road. Hitting lane divider buttons with my ass was bad enough the last time I went down on a highway.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:46 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jim1019 wrote:
Thanks for all the responses guys. I even took a firearms law class and failed to come up with the answer to this one, mostly because it was a motorcycle, so the rifle was not concealed. Stupid confusing, convoluted laws.

There is a perfectly good reason why the laws are written like that. It allows Police enough latitude to make a "reasonable suspicion" stop where if the laws were totally clear, many times they would be committing illegal stops/detainment's.

Why do you think the State Legislature hasn't clarified 9.41.270 even after it's been pointed out "umpty ump" times that it's ambiguous when interpreted by a "reasonable person".

In a sense, anyone who open carries "could" run afoul of 9.41.270 if the police and prosecutor are able to articulate the part where alarm is warranted. Wear the wrong clothes, have the wrong level of grooming, stand in the wrong manner, and have the wrong look on your face; you're toast.

Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:53 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"profiling"

Spoiler: show
"Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm -- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves." – T.S. Eliot

"The right of self defence is the first law of nature: in most governments it has been the study of rulers to confine this right within the narrowest limits possible. Wherever standing armies are kept up, and the right of the people to keep and bear arms is, under any colour or pretext whatsoever, prohibited, liberty, if not already annihilated, is on the brink of destruction." - St. George Tucker

A careful definition of words would destroy half the agenda of the political left and scrutinizing evidence would destroy the other half. - Thomas Sowell

"To ban guns because criminals use them is to tell the innocent and law-abiding that their rights and liberties depend not on their own conduct, but on the conduct of the guilty and the lawless, and that the law will permit them to have only such rights and liberties as the lawless will allow...

For society does not control crime, ever, by forcing the law-abiding to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of criminals. Society controls crime by forcing the criminals to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of the law-abiding." - Jeff Snyder

Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud, and the rifle is the queen of personal weapons. The possession of a good rifle, as well as the skill to use it well, truly makes a man the monarch of all he surveys. It realizes the ancient dream of the Jovian thunderbolt, and as such it is the embodiment of personal power. For this reason it exercises a curious influence over the minds of most men, and in its best examples it constitutes an object of affection unmatched by any other inanimate object.

Jeff Cooper
1997 The Art of the Rifle Page 1.

SUGGEST CASE BE SUBMITTED ON APPELLANT'S BRIEF. UNABLE TO OBTAIN ANY MONEY FROM CLIENTS TO BE PRESENT & ARGUE BRIEF.

The defense attorney's telegram to the clerk of the Supreme Court, March 29, 1939, in re United States. v. Miller.

You don't need to go to Law School to understand the constitutional implications of that.

“You can’t cut the throat of every cocksucker whose character it would improve.”
cityslicker wrote:
I don't want to be told that I can't remove the tree by some tree-hugging pole smoker from the eat-a-dick foundation/Olympia/King County.

Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jdhbulseye wrote:
"profiling"

Indeed. If you are a white male with a job who owns property, pays taxes, is not in debt over his head, and isn't bitching about how they want more from the government, you are bound to be profiled. At the very least singled out to pay more in taxes and have more regulations stuffed up your backside.

As for profiling, I think we're all a little guilty. Think back to when most of us were young and single. Whenever we went out at night we certainly profiled a lot. First you "profiled" other guys to make sure you didn't piss off the ones that could kick your ass. Next you profiled the women so you wasted as little time as possible on those you had the least chance of getting lucky with. Just a couple of examples.

Life is filled with "profiling" and we're all guilty.

Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mr Odd Six wrote:
You are a treat, they deal with you,

everyone loves a tasty treat

Yaki's - last journey

Promote a Growth Mindset. Don't let a fixed mindset not allow change for the better.

pow·er trip - noun - a self-aggrandizing quest for ever-increasing control over others.

Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:10 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

deadshot2 wrote:
jdhbulseye wrote:
"profiling"

Indeed. If you are a white male with a job who owns property, pays taxes, is not in debt over his head, and isn't bitching about how they want more from the government, you are bound to be profiled. At the very least singled out to pay more in taxes and have more regulations stuffed up your backside.

As for profiling, I think we're all a little guilty. Think back to when most of us were young and single. Whenever we went out at night we certainly profiled a lot. First you "profiled" other guys to make sure you didn't piss off the ones that could kick your ass. Next you profiled the women so you wasted as little time as possible on those you had the least chance of getting lucky with. Just a couple of examples.

Life is filled with "profiling" and we're all guilty.

There is a reason why we are all guilty of profiling, its a human instinct and survival strategy. And it works pretty decently, certainly not perfect but better than 50-50.

"Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm -- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves." – T.S. Eliot

"The right of self defence is the first law of nature: in most governments it has been the study of rulers to confine this right within the narrowest limits possible. Wherever standing armies are kept up, and the right of the people to keep and bear arms is, under any colour or pretext whatsoever, prohibited, liberty, if not already annihilated, is on the brink of destruction." - St. George Tucker

A careful definition of words would destroy half the agenda of the political left and scrutinizing evidence would destroy the other half. - Thomas Sowell

"To ban guns because criminals use them is to tell the innocent and law-abiding that their rights and liberties depend not on their own conduct, but on the conduct of the guilty and the lawless, and that the law will permit them to have only such rights and liberties as the lawless will allow...

For society does not control crime, ever, by forcing the law-abiding to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of criminals. Society controls crime by forcing the criminals to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of the law-abiding." - Jeff Snyder

Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud, and the rifle is the queen of personal weapons. The possession of a good rifle, as well as the skill to use it well, truly makes a man the monarch of all he surveys. It realizes the ancient dream of the Jovian thunderbolt, and as such it is the embodiment of personal power. For this reason it exercises a curious influence over the minds of most men, and in its best examples it constitutes an object of affection unmatched by any other inanimate object.

Jeff Cooper
1997 The Art of the Rifle Page 1.

SUGGEST CASE BE SUBMITTED ON APPELLANT'S BRIEF. UNABLE TO OBTAIN ANY MONEY FROM CLIENTS TO BE PRESENT & ARGUE BRIEF.

The defense attorney's telegram to the clerk of the Supreme Court, March 29, 1939, in re United States. v. Miller.

You don't need to go to Law School to understand the constitutional implications of that.

“You can’t cut the throat of every cocksucker whose character it would improve.”
cityslicker wrote:
I don't want to be told that I can't remove the tree by some tree-hugging pole smoker from the eat-a-dick foundation/Olympia/King County.

Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:28 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

[/quote]

Thank you. I am just recovering from a monster cold and was at a loss for words.

Having had a couple M/C accidents in my life I don't think I'd want to carry any long gun on my back. With my luck it would just be something else to beat the crap out of me while tumbling along the road. Hitting lane divider buttons with my ass was bad enough the last time I went down on a highway.[/quote]
Know what those "buttons" are called? Trivia time:

Botts Dots (after the name of the inventor)

Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:16 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

I always heard that Elbert Botts just invented the epoxy that held the turtles down.
But who knows.

Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:33 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ah, good old road Braille... What would blind drivers do without it?

Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3