Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:32 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Nothing contained in this section shall be construed as legal advice. All members and guests are advised to perform due diligence in regards to laws and legal actions.

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Dual Citizen Travelling Across States? 

Hi all,

I'm a dual citizen who lives in Vancouver, B.C. Canada.

I'm planning a recreational road trip across the US (From WA to Texas and back)

My mother who lives in WA is planning on gifting me a Glock 19, assuming it's locked up and unloaded could I legally travel with it? The laws on this subject aren't entirely clear to me so I thought i'd check before considering it.

I have a clean record, and have a US passport and BC drivers license.

Thanks all

Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:54 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

what cpl's do you have in the U.S.? are you traveling with it to texas?

Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:06 am

Hey there,

I do not have a CPL and the plan is to keep it locked up and unloaded to Texas and back to WA if legal. Possibly doing some range shooting or target shooting somewhere.

Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:10 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

If you are a dual citizen (and one of those is US), then you just need to follow those state laws pertaining to transporting a firearm. In WA State, with no CPL, it can't be loaded in a vehicle.

Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:36 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And don't go to California.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:23 pm

Cheers guys

Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:32 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Keep in mind this is a public forum and the consequences on this sort of issue can be steep. You should do your own research, maybe start at USAcarry.org. Not sure what site is best for this.

NRA Certified RSO
SAF/NRA Life Member

Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:37 pm

Blaze.45 wrote:
Keep in mind this is a public forum and the consequences on this sort of issue can be steep. You should do your own research, maybe start at USAcarry.org. Not sure what site is best for this.

Thanks Blaze, I'm planning on contacting a WA PD and asking as well just to double check.

Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:44 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Matador wrote:
Blaze.45 wrote:

Thanks Blaze, I'm planning on contacting a WA PD and asking as well just to double check.

I would encourage you not to contact a Washington police department with this question. They may or may not (and seriously may not) have a good grasp of Washington laws, but I wouldn't rely on them at all for anything unrelated to WA.

I would start here, paying special attention to the FOPA part:
https://www.nraila.org/articles/2014063 ... sportation

I would determine if you can legally have the gun here in WA (it sounds like you can), and if you can legally have it in TX. If the answer is yes on both counts, then presumably you can get from here to there using FOPA.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:02 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Do you own or hold property in any US state?

e.g. home, rental, property?

Besides being a US citizen with dual citizenship with Canada... Your touching on International, Federal and State Laws (for every state you'll be crossing).

1) Federal - since you'll need to go through a background check to transfer (gift) that firearm to you. They will ask about your state of record, city, county, etc

Just more layers to consider before the real mess of looking up each state.

Also: WA states issues Non Resident CPL (concealed pistol license)

Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:53 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

having a us passport doesn't mean you can receive a pistol.

I am 110% you need a valid state ID to get a pistol since you have to prove residency.

Only a Washington resident can receive a pistol in the state of Washington. the same as all other 50 states

Definitely something you need to contact the ATF about.

https://www.atf.gov/rules-and-regulations

*If your mom living in Washington gives you a pistol and you are not a Washington resident with valid state id. it is a felony*

Yaki's - last journey

Promote a Growth Mindset. Don't let a fixed mindset not allow change for the better.

pow·er trip - noun - a self-aggrandizing quest for ever-increasing control over others.

Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:25 pm

MadPick wrote:
Matador wrote:
Blaze.45 wrote:

I would encourage you not to contact a Washington police department with this question. They may or may not (and seriously may not) have a good grasp of Washington laws, but I wouldn't rely on them at all for anything unrelated to WA.

I would start here, paying special attention to the FOPA part:
https://www.nraila.org/articles/2014063 ... sportation

I would determine if you can legally have the gun here in WA (it sounds like you can), and if you can legally have it in TX. If the answer is yes on both counts, then presumably you can get from here to there using FOPA.

Best advice on this thread.

I consider myself more than adequately versed on WA State laws concerning the possession of firearms. If you were to present this question to me, I would not have a clue on how to do it.

Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:08 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

oldkim wrote:

Besides being a US citizen with dual citizenship with Canada... Your touching on International, Federal and State Laws (for every state you'll be crossing).

1) Federal - since you'll need to go through a background check to transfer (gift) that firearm to you. They will ask about your state of record, city, county, etc

Why the background check for a gift from mother to child? That's exempted in 594. Is there a federal regulation for that?

Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:07 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

edogg wrote:
oldkim wrote:

Why the background check for a gift from mother to child? That's exempted in 594. Is there a federal regulation for that?

My thoughts exactly.

He who does not punish evil commands it to be done. --- Leonardo DaVinci

When its time to go in:
That place of steel and stone. I pray that you will keep me safe, so I will not walk alone. Help me to do my duty, please watch me on my rounds.
Amongst those perilous places and slamming steel door sounds. God, keep my fellow Officers well and free from harm. Let them know I'll be there too, whenever there's alarm.
Above all when I walk my beat, no matter where I roam. Let me go back whence I came, to family and home

Author unknown.

Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:12 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

edogg wrote:

Agreed, 594 and Washington state aren't an issue.

But at the federal level, you need a background check unless the transfer is between two residents of the same state. That background check needs to be run by an FFL In the buyer's state, for handguns.

In this case, the OP lives in Vancouver BC and therefore (I assume) has no Washington residency status. Thus, he cannot get a handgun in Washington or, by the same logic, any other state.

I'm not an expert in this stuff. Does anyone see a way for him to legally procure the gun?

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:50 am
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next