Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:13 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Nothing contained in this section shall be construed as legal advice. All members and guests are advised to perform due diligence in regards to laws and legal actions.

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Court: Counties can restrict the location of gun stores 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/75151 ... strict-the

Here is a snippet of the article:

ASSOCIATED PRESS
BY ASSOCIATED PRESS | October 11, 2017, 8:03AM

SAN FRANCISCO — Counties can restrict the location of gun stores without violating the Second Amendment, a federal appeals court said Tuesday.
The ruling by an 11-judge panel of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals upheld a California county's ordinance banning new gun stores within 500 feet (152 meters) of schools, day-care centers, residential areas, liquor stores and other gun shops.
A majority of the panel said the law did not violate the Second Amendment right to bear arms of would-be gun owners because there were other stores in the county where they could buy a gun.
"Gun buyers have no right to have a gun store in a particular location, at least as long as their access is not meaningfully constrained," Judge Marsha Berzon said.

The majority also rejected the argument that gun sellers' Second Amendment rights were violated, saying there is no constitutional right to sell guns.

NRA Range Safety Officer
NSSF Member
SAF Defender's Club - Life member
US Navy - 1976-1982

Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:42 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

cdoniguian wrote:
http://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/7515167-181/court-counties-can-restrict-the

Here is a snippet of the article:

ASSOCIATED PRESS
BY ASSOCIATED PRESS | October 11, 2017, 8:03AM

SAN FRANCISCO — Counties can restrict the location of gun stores without violating the Second Amendment, a federal appeals court said Tuesday.
The ruling by an 11-judge panel of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals upheld a California county's ordinance banning new gun stores within 500 feet (152 meters) of schools, day-care centers, residential areas, liquor stores and other gun shops.
A majority of the panel said the law did not violate the Second Amendment right to bear arms of would-be gun owners because there were other stores in the county where they could buy a gun.
"Gun buyers have no right to have a gun store in a particular location, at least as long as their access is not meaningfully constrained," Judge Marsha Berzon said.

The majority also rejected the argument that gun sellers' Second Amendment rights were violated, saying there is no constitutional right to sell guns.

I assume this could be used as precedence to confirm the constitutional right to make guns? As in for personal use? Because that's certainly something the antis would like to do away with. If you can restrict where guns are sold, plus restrict who can make them, well, that there isn't a whole lot left, is there?

Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:36 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Also noted in the same AP article as the original post:
"The ruling overturned a decision last year by a three-judge panel of the 9th Circuit that said the Second Amendment extends to gun stores and requires governments to justify restrictions on them.
That panel in a 2-1 decision said Alameda County had to present evidence to justify the restriction on gun store locations."

So, the case had the full panel of judges come back this year and overrule last year's three-judge decision.

NRA Range Safety Officer
NSSF Member
SAF Defender's Club - Life member
US Navy - 1976-1982

Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:15 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would expect nothing less from the 9th circus. This really has nothing to do with 2A. It has to do with cities being able to control who builds what, when, and where. Are other businesses restricted? Other than strip clubs.

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]