Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:20 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Nothing contained in this section shall be construed as legal advice. All members and guests are advised to perform due diligence in regards to laws and legal actions.

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 About Transfers in WA 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I knew the RCWs had been amended to clarify that sales to C&R licensees are okay, but I was looking at the law this morning and I noticed some other things of interest that I don't remember, and presumably are changes. I've colored the areas that I found interesting.

Quote:
RCW 9.41.113
Firearm sales or transfers—Background checks—Requirements—Exceptions.

(1) All firearm sales or transfers, in whole or part in this state including without limitation a sale or transfer where either the purchaser or seller or transferee or transferor is in Washington, shall be subject to background checks unless specifically exempted by state or federal law. The background check requirement applies to all sales or transfers including, but not limited to, sales and transfers through a licensed dealer, at gun shows, online, and between unlicensed persons.
(2) No person shall sell or transfer a firearm unless:
(a) The person is a licensed dealer;
(b) The purchaser or transferee is a licensed dealer; or
(c) The requirements of subsection (3) of this section are met.
(3) Where neither party to a prospective firearms transaction is a licensed dealer, the parties to the transaction shall complete the sale or transfer through a licensed dealer as follows:
(a) The seller or transferor shall deliver the firearm to a licensed dealer to process the sale or transfer as if it is selling or transferring the firearm from its inventory to the purchaser or transferee, except that the unlicensed seller or transferor may remove the firearm from the business premises of the licensed dealer while the background check is being conducted. If the seller or transferor removes the firearm from the business premises of the licensed dealer while the background check is being conducted, the purchaser or transferee and the seller or transferor shall return to the business premises of the licensed dealer and the seller or transferor shall again deliver the firearm to the licensed dealer prior to completing the sale or transfer.
(b) Except as provided in (a) of this subsection, the licensed dealer shall comply with all requirements of federal and state law that would apply if the licensed dealer were selling or transferring the firearm from its inventory to the purchaser or transferee, including but not limited to conducting a background check on the prospective purchaser or transferee in accordance with federal and state law requirements and fulfilling all federal and state recordkeeping requirements.
(c) The purchaser or transferee must complete, sign, and submit all federal, state, and local forms necessary to process the required background check to the licensed dealer conducting the background check.
(d) If the results of the background check indicate that the purchaser or transferee is ineligible to possess a firearm, then the licensed dealer shall return the firearm to the seller or transferor.
(e) The licensed dealer may charge a fee that reflects the fair market value of the administrative costs and efforts incurred by the licensed dealer for facilitating the sale or transfer of the firearm.
(4) This section does not apply to:
(a) A transfer between immediate family members, which for this subsection shall be limited to spouses, domestic partners, parents, parents-in-law, children, siblings, siblings-in-law, grandparents, grandchildren, nieces, nephews, first cousins, aunts, and uncles, that is a bona fide gift or loan;
(b) The sale or transfer of an antique firearm;
(c) A temporary transfer of possession of a firearm if such transfer is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to the person to whom the firearm is transferred if:
(i) The temporary transfer only lasts as long as immediately necessary to prevent such imminent death or great bodily harm; and
(ii) The person to whom the firearm is transferred is not prohibited from possessing firearms under state or federal law;
(d) A temporary transfer of possession of a firearm if: (i) The transfer is intended to prevent suicide or self-inflicted great bodily harm; (ii) the transfer lasts only as long as reasonably necessary to prevent death or great bodily harm; and (iii) the firearm is not utilized by the transferee for any purpose for the duration of the temporary transfer;
(e) Any law enforcement or corrections agency and, to the extent the person is acting within the course and scope of his or her employment or official duties, any law enforcement or corrections officer, United States marshal, member of the armed forces of the United States or the national guard, or federal official;
(f) A federally licensed gunsmith who receives a firearm solely for the purposes of service or repair, or the return of the firearm to its owner by the federally licensed gunsmith;
(g) The temporary transfer of a firearm (i) between spouses or domestic partners; (ii) if the temporary transfer occurs, and the firearm is kept at all times, at an established shooting range authorized by the governing body of the jurisdiction in which such range is located; (iii) if the temporary transfer occurs and the transferee's possession of the firearm is exclusively at a lawful organized competition involving the use of a firearm, or while participating in or practicing for a performance by an organized group that uses firearms as a part of the performance; (iv) to a person who is under eighteen years of age for lawful hunting, sporting, or educational purposes while under the direct supervision and control of a responsible adult who is not prohibited from possessing firearms; (v) under circumstances in which the transferee and the firearm remain in the presence of the transferor; or (vi) while hunting if the hunting is legal in all places where the person to whom the firearm is transferred possesses the firearm and the person to whom the firearm is transferred has completed all training and holds all licenses or permits required for such hunting, provided that any temporary transfer allowed by this subsection is permitted only if the person to whom the firearm is transferred is not prohibited from possessing firearms under state or federal law;
(h) A person who (i) acquired a firearm other than a pistol by operation of law upon the death of the former owner of the firearm or (ii) acquired a pistol by operation of law upon the death of the former owner of the pistol within the preceding sixty days. At the end of the sixty-day period, the person must either have lawfully transferred the pistol or must have contacted the department of licensing to notify the department that he or she has possession of the pistol and intends to retain possession of the pistol, in compliance with all federal and state laws; or
(i) A sale or transfer when the purchaser or transferee is a licensed collector and the firearm being sold or transferred is a curio or relic.

https://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.113

These look like good changes.

That said . . . 594 is still a piece of shit. :angryfire:

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:05 am
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

I agree.

1911 Pistolsmithing
Firearm Refinishing
GLOCK Certified Armorer
CMMG Authorized Dealer
NEMO Arms Authorized Dealer
http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms/

Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:14 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'VE BEEN SAYING IT ALL ALONG

Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:33 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So now Washington FFLs are being told they can log a firearm then let the firearm leave the premises while still logged into their books with no control over where that gun currently is located!!
Isn't that in direct violation of Federal policy?
I'm sure an ATF aggent would love to do an audit with multiple guns logged but not present.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:59 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Fungunnin wrote:
So now Washington FFLs are being told they can log a firearm then let the firearm leave the premises while still logged into their books with no control over where that gun currently is located!!
I'm sure an ATF aggent would love to do an audit with multiple guns logged but not present.

I assume you’re referring to (3)(a) above.

Does a gun need to be in the FFL’s books to start a background check?

Scenario: Buyer and seller show up at the FFL to transfer a handgun; the buyer does not have a CPL. Paperwork is filled out and sent off to the LE agency, and the wait begins. The buyer and seller go home, and the seller takes the gun home. Ten (or so) days later, the background check is passed. Buyer and seller come back to the store, the FFL logs the gun in, then out to the buyer.

Does that scenario violate any federal rules?

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:27 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't know if an FFL can start a BGC on a gun not in their books....

Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:33 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This wording sounds like they are supposed to enterit in their books.
"The seller or transferor shall deliver the firearm to a licensed dealer to process the sale or transfer as if it is selling or transferring the firearm from its inventory to the purchaser or transferee"

Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:36 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

MadPick wrote:
Fungunnin wrote:

I assume you’re referring to (3)(a) above.

Does a gun need to be in the FFL’s books to start a background check?

Scenario: Buyer and seller show up at the FFL to transfer a handgun; the buyer does not have a CPL. Paperwork is filled out and sent off to the LE agency, and the wait begins. The buyer and seller go home, and the seller takes the gun home. Ten (or so) days later, the background check is passed. Buyer and seller come back to the store, the FFL logs the gun in, then out to the buyer.

Does that scenario violate any federal rules?

I've never seen an FFL not take the firearm being transferred onto their books. Maybe this has changed but as I understood it once the paperwork starts, there will be a transfer. Either a transfer to the buyer, or a transfer back to the seller in the event the buyer is denied.

Is there something here that says the FFL doesn't have to take the firearm onto their books?

Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:39 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you're gonna fill out a 4473...the FFL better have a inventory record in his books for the transaction number on the 4473 to be logged.
Annnnd...yeah 594 is utter bullshit. But there are those gun owners who support it.

-- Travis A Kisner

Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:56 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bringing this back for a clarification that my father asked about.

"...(a) A transfer between immediate family members, which for this subsection shall be limited to spouses, domestic partners, parents, parents-in-law, children, siblings, siblings-in-law, grandparents, grandchildren, nieces, nephews, first cousins, aunts, and uncles, that is a bona fide gift or loan"

So this is a bypass from the effects of both 594 and 1639, but how does this work across state lines? If he is giving me something from his collection in Oregon? I've never understood out of state transfer laws.

*edited for Turkey Day rum effects.

"A nation grown free in a single day is a child born with the limbs and the vigour of a man, who would take a drawn sword for his rattle, and set the house in a blaze that he might chuckle over the splendour." Sydney Smith (1771-1845)
Spoiler: show
NOW YOU DID IT...
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Last edited by A.O. on Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:50 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Interstate transfers are controlled by federal law.

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:54 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Even family member to family member? Even through trusts?

"A nation grown free in a single day is a child born with the limbs and the vigour of a man, who would take a drawn sword for his rattle, and set the house in a blaze that he might chuckle over the splendour." Sydney Smith (1771-1845)
Spoiler: show
NOW YOU DID IT...
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]