Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:20 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Nothing contained in this section shall be construed as legal advice. All members and guests are advised to perform due diligence in regards to laws and legal actions.

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Weapon free workplace 

I don't have my cpl mainly due to the fact my workplace is a weapon free area. I want to get my cpl and I read I can leave my gun locked in my car. My question now is if I park on the street which would not technically be on my employers property could I leave my gun in my car while I'm at work without breaking any rules? Thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:21 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

LetItSnow wrote:
I don't have my cpl mainly due to the fact my workplace is a weapon free area. I want to get my cpl and I read I can leave my gun locked in my car. My question now is if I park on the street which would not technically be on my employers property could I leave my gun in my car while I'm at work without breaking any rules? Thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I'd suggest you get very familiar with the carry laws and self defense laws, and it's probably smartest to get your CPL. Violating these carry laws is an expensive mistake.

Carry and transport laws go directly hand-in-hand with lethal force self defense. The latter requires imminent fear (not future fear) of lethal harm. That means, if you have time to go to your car, unlock your glove box, load the weapon, etc. then you aren't or weren't in imminent fear and had time to leave. This, combined with the high probability of theft and yet another stolen gun on the streets, I see little wisdom in storing a gun in your car parked on the street. Self defense shootings number far less than automobile burglary and theft.

In other words, I'm not seeing a real advantage to having an unloaded "car gun" and can't really see a circumstance where that would be of much use. Far more likely to be stolen. Without a CPL, my read of the law is that it's either not legal to have it loaded in the car, or there are complex scenarios you need to be in compliance with to the point that it's just smarter to get the CPL. Do you want to have to memorize or carry a cheat sheet with you as to what exactly constitutes compliance or non-compliance with the law every time you take your pistol to your car, load/unload it, put it in the lock box, and so forth? In other words, the levels of caveats and double speak in the RCW make my head spin....

And, as a practical matter, driving around with an unloaded gun to be in legal compliance is nearly pointless. Further, loading and unloading a gun repeatedly throughout the day every time you get in and out of the car, or other routines, is just opening yourself up to an increased chance of an accident. Especially considering it would likely be sitting in a surreptitious location in your car attempting to do this several times daily. It also creates bullet "setback" which is a potentially dangerous condition.

In short, just get your CPL and learn the laws on carry and self defense. How you carry your gun and your employer is between you and your employer. May result in termination and trespass if you are discovered. The other options are leave it at home, rent a locker somewhere nearby, or lock it securely in your car. I certainly cannot tell you to break the law, nor break the employer rules. There are penalties. Nor is it a good idea to go out unarmed. These are all poor options that each of us has had to wrestle with for many years. You have to weigh the risks and rewards of these choices.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.050
RCW 9.41.050
Carrying firearms.
(1)(a) Except in the person's place of abode or fixed place of business, a person shall not carry a pistol concealed on his or her person without a license to carry a concealed pistol.
(b) Every licensee shall have his or her concealed pistol license in his or her immediate possession at all times that he or she is required by this section to have a concealed pistol license and shall display the same upon demand to any police officer or to any other person when and if required by law to do so. Any violation of this subsection (1)(b) shall be a class 1 civil infraction under chapter 7.80 RCW and shall be punished accordingly pursuant to chapter 7.80 RCW and the infraction rules for courts of limited jurisdiction.
(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.
(b) A violation of this subsection is a misdemeanor.
(3)(a) A person at least eighteen years of age who is in possession of an unloaded pistol shall not leave the unloaded pistol in a vehicle unless the unloaded pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.
(b) A violation of this subsection is a misdemeanor.
(4) Nothing in this section permits the possession of firearms illegal to possess under state or federal law.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.270
RCW 9.41.270
Weapons apparently capable of producing bodily harm—Unlawful carrying or handling—Penalty—Exceptions.
(1) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry, exhibit, display, or draw any firearm, dagger, sword, knife or other cutting or stabbing instrument, club, or any other weapon apparently capable of producing bodily harm, in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place that either manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons.
(2) Any person violating the provisions of subsection (1) above shall be guilty of a gross misdemeanor. If any person is convicted of a violation of subsection (1) of this section, the person shall lose his or her concealed pistol license, if any. The court shall send notice of the revocation to the department of licensing, and the city, town, or county which issued the license.
(3) Subsection (1) of this section shall not apply to or affect the following:
(a) Any act committed by a person while in his or her place of abode or fixed place of business;
(b) Any person who by virtue of his or her office or public employment is vested by law with a duty to preserve public safety, maintain public order, or to make arrests for offenses, while in the performance of such duty;
(c) Any person acting for the purpose of protecting himself or herself against the use of presently threatened unlawful force by another, or for the purpose of protecting another against the use of such unlawful force by a third person;
(d) Any person making or assisting in making a lawful arrest for the commission of a felony; or
(e) Any person engaged in military activities sponsored by the federal or state governments.

There are several other laws to become acquainted with, such as the laws of self defense, lethal force, and other specific areas where you cannot open carry.

http://www.opencarry.org/state-info-t-z/washington/

As to your company controlling your behavior off company time and property, that would be unusual. Your personal car parked (and property) off property is of no concern to the company, unless you have some odd relationship with your employer.

Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:29 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Being that WA is an "at will" state for employment, the employer needs to state no reason to terminate you, so technically, if they discovered you keeping a pistol in your car (say someone reported seeing you unload), they could "let you go" and you'd have no chance of proving it was for the pistol, nor would you really have a chance of fighting it.
Keep that in mind on top of the car burglary stats and stolen pistol stats.
Get your CPL regardless of if you plan on carrying to or at work...it just makes life a hell of a lot simpler everywhere you go, and it adds support to the pro 2A side of things in this state to have more ppl with CPLs creating larger numbers for politicians to think twice about pissing off.

Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:42 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]