Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:31 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Nothing contained in this section shall be construed as legal advice. All members and guests are advised to perform due diligence in regards to laws and legal actions.

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Keeping a loaded handgun in a locked glove box? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've got my CPL, my wife doesn't and isn't too keen on getting one. Fairly frequently she'll want to use my car for various reasons. I typically keep my carry gun (magazine in, round in the chamber) locked in my glove box and we usually remember to remove it when she takes the car, but there have been a few occasions where we've forgotten. I know that if the gun is unloaded (magazine removed, and +1 round out of the chamber), she's good to go, but she's fearful of unloading the gun by herself. If it's locked in the glove box (as in you need the ignition key to open it), does that meet the RCW requirement for someone who doesn't have a CPL? My gut feeling is no, particularly if she has to open the glove box to retrieve documents if she's been pulled over, although I've advised her to inform the officer before doing so.

Relevant section below:

RCW 9.41.050
Carrying firearms.
(1)(a) Except in the person's place of abode or fixed place of business, a person shall not carry a pistol concealed on his or her person without a license to carry a concealed pistol.
(b) Every licensee shall have his or her concealed pistol license in his or her immediate possession at all times that he or she is required by this section to have a concealed pistol license and shall display the same upon demand to any police officer or to any other person when and if required by law to do so. Any violation of this subsection (1)(b) shall be a class 1 civil infraction under chapter 7.80 RCW and shall be punished accordingly pursuant to chapter 7.80 RCW and the infraction rules for courts of limited jurisdiction.
(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:59 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

delliottg wrote:
(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol

Pretty plain language.

Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:05 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

You're asking if it would be legal for:

- Your wife (who has no CPL) to drive the car, unaccompanied; and
- There to be a loaded pistol in the glove box, which is locked with the ignition key.

Right?

I think the answer is clearly "no," and I don't think it is related to the bolded section of the RCW. Section 2 of that RCW says that you need to have a CPL and meet one of the other three conditions. Since she doesn't have a CPL, none of the rest matter.

If she did not have a key to the glove box (which she clearly does, since it's the ignition key), then it might be more of a discussion . . . but I think the answer would still be "no."

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:07 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Use the KISS method and keep the car reg. over the visor. No reason to go to the glove box then. (still not lawful though)

Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:14 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
You're asking if it would be legal for:

- Your wife (who has no CPL) to drive the car, unaccompanied; and
- There to be a loaded pistol in the glove box, which is locked with the ignition key.

Right?

I think the answer is clearly "no," and I don't think it is related to the bolded section of the RCW. Section 2 of that RCW says that you need to have a CPL and meet one of the other three conditions. Since she doesn't have a CPL, none of the rest matter.

If she did not have a key to the glove box (which she clearly does, since it's the ignition key), then it might be more of a discussion . . . but I think the answer would still be "no."

Ah, I missed the connection between the two, I think that clarifies my question (which you summarized well).

Thanks guys!

Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:38 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tell your wife to get a CPL just to stay legal in those circumstances. My wife did. And she doesn’t carry...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:53 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

edogg wrote:
Tell your wife to get a CPL just to stay legal in those circumstances. My wife did. And she doesn’t carry...

What if she has an accident?

Or is mistakenly pulled over. Being held at gunpoint by VERY scared and trigger happy newby cops, for suspicion of robbing West Coast Armory, and they search and find the gun in the glove box, and one of them screams at the sky, and lets her have it.

Or what if she is driving down the road, and hits a bump, and the glove box falls open, and right then, a flake cop riding a unicorn, rides up beside her and sees the gun...

Or what if... Er. Well, you get the picture.

:bigsmile:

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not to interrupt Sealdor's stories of unicorns and butterflies :thumbsup2: , and definitely NOT trying to be a butthead, but forgetting about your weapon is also not good.

Not claiming to be perfect myself, I forget shit all the time, but securing cellphone, keys, gun, & wallet should be a mantra you follow before your cheeks leave the seat :cheers2:

Worse case scenario is you come out and someone is stealing your car or has broken into it, and now you may have weaponized them.

Again, no claim of perfection coming from me....

Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:49 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

NWGunner wrote:
Not to interrupt Sealdor's stories of unicorns and butterflies :thumbsup2: , and definitely NOT trying to be a butthead, but forgetting about your weapon is also not good.

Not claiming to be perfect myself, I forget shit all the time, but securing cellphone, keys, gun, & wallet should be a mantra you follow before your cheeks leave the seat :cheers2:

Worse case scenario is you come out and someone is stealing your car or has broken into it, and now you may have weaponized them.

I meant to be serious. I think he should never again leave the gun in the car, or she should get a CPL.

Even if she gets a CPL, that only covers her, if something happens while she is in possession of the car.

The point about what if someone breaks in, or steals the car, is a very good one.

Again, I was trying to be serious. Then decided not to be so serious.

I MIGHT have gotten a bit carried away with the not serious stuff.........

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:01 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Selador wrote:
NWGunner wrote:

I meant to be serious. I think he should never again leave the gun in the car, or she should get a CPL.

Even if she gets a CPL, that only covers her, if something happens while she is in possession of the car.

The point about what if someone breaks in, or steals the car, is a very good one.

I wasn't making fun of your points, it was a valid conveyance of the myriad of strange occurrences that could happen when we least expect it.

I thought the Unicorn reference was funny and clever, and thought I'd use it as a humorous lead-in so as not to sound like I was lecturing or preaching.

In my effort to not offend the OP, I didn't mean to offend you. Apologies. :cheers2:

Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:10 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

NWGunner wrote:
Selador wrote:
NWGunner wrote:

I wasn't making fun of your points, it was a valid conveyance of the myriad of strange occurrences that could happen when we least expect it.

I thought the Unicorn reference was funny and clever, and thought I'd use it as a humorous lead-in so as not to sound like I was lecturing or preaching.

In my effort to not offend the OP, I didn't mean to offend you. Apologies. :cheers2:

LOL No problem. I did it for the same reason.

No offense, anybody!

Do justice. Love mercy.

Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I’m offended by all these snowflakes trying not to offend each other.

:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:21 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

edogg wrote:

Well, if it helps, we're okay if YOU'RE offended...... :cheers2:

Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:26 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

edogg wrote:

Just go outside and scream at the sky.

Do justice. Love mercy.

Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]