Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:01 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Nothing contained in this section shall be construed as legal advice. All members and guests are advised to perform due diligence in regards to laws and legal actions.

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Shipping guns to myself in WA in care of family 
FFL / Dealer

Hello, all! In case you missed my intro thread, my family and I are moving to Richland from Alaska over the coming weeks. I have a question about the legality of shipping my own guns to Washington in light of the new rules about “transferring” guns to family members. I’d like to mail them to myself in care of my parents for safekeeping until our arrival. Federally, this is permitted by the ATF, and I did so when I moved *to* Alaska, in care of my former employer. My question is this: does the act of signing for delivery of the guns (note: NOT opening the boxes) qualify as “transferring ownership” in Washington state under the new law? Thanks!

Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:12 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

It’s about “transfers,” not “ownership transfers.”

Check out this thread, and read the RCW that’s quoted:
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=86985

The answer in regards to WA transfers is usually “who the hell knows” and you just need to make a judgment call. If I were making that judgment call, I’d say that you’re okay; you’re good fed-wise as already noted, and I think he “loan” provision of 4a might cover you for WA.

I am neither a lawyer nor an activist prosecutor though, so please make your own judgment....

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:38 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Also, check out the exceptions with regards to between family. It sounds like you should be fine, but I'm not a lawyer...

Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:36 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Unless your parents use them to commit a crime, I'm pretty sure nobody will know or care. The transfer law hasn't been prosecuted to my knowledge.

Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:43 pm

You will run into a problem if you have handguns. Since you can't use the USPS to ship those, you will have to use FEDEX or UPS. Both of those will only ship firearms to or from a dealer now. You can find the hubs that don't follow their policy, but more and more are. It is relatively new and I only found out when I was trying to save a dude some money by telling him he could just ship it to himself. He came back to the store and said that they wouldn't do it, since it had to go to or from a dealer. I was thinking that hub was just full of it and looked it up.

Long guns are fine as you can still use the USPS for those.
Or if you can find another contract carrier that will ship. I've seen one person find some no name shipper that did it.

Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]