Switch to full style
Current and Upcoming Legislation. Local, State and Federal.

Forum rules

Nothing contained in this section shall be construed as legal advice. All members and guests are advised to perform due diligence in regards to laws and legal actions.
Post a reply

firearm laws required by dealers when you purchase a gun

Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:40 pm

So I found out through researching state and federal laws. I bet you didn't know that with every purchase

state law

"The purchaser shall be given a copy of the department of fish and wildlife pamphlet on the legal limits of the use of firearms, firearms safety, and the fact that local laws and ordinances on firearms are preempted by state law and must be consistent with state law"

and federal law requires that all transactions for handguns require a trigger lock.

Re: firearm laws required by dealers when you purchase a gun

Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:59 pm

You haven’t been getting yours?

Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:02 pm

That's why guys were posting awhile back that they keep extra trigger locks that come with guns in their glove box, for their 594 transfers.

For themselves, or sometimes or a seller that didn't know.

Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:21 pm

I have locks, a "Good guy" card and Cash. That should be good enough.

Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:36 am

Ops wrote:So I found out through researching state and federal laws. I bet you didn't know that with every purchase

state law

"The purchaser shall be given a copy of the department of fish and wildlife pamphlet on the legal limits of the use of firearms, firearms safety, and the fact that local laws and ordinances on firearms are preempted by state law and must be consistent with state law"

and federal law requires that all transactions for handguns require a trigger lock.

And a "youth safety pamphlet," with every handgun transfer.

Removing the language about preemption is part of i1639. I assume to help prevent people from knowing the laws. Easier to control us when we don't know what isn't allowed.

Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:29 am

I did a transfer in Bellevue for a Desert Eagle .50.
Said I needed a lock before I could pick it up, so I checked my other DE's to make sure my long padlock from another handgun would fit through the mag well and keep the slide open.

Got there, gal said the lock didn't need to fit anything, just needed to be a lock.
They sell Master padlocks for $4 if you don't have one, give you a refund if you bring the lock back.

Ya, they hand out a bunch of flyers. Doubt anyone reads them.

Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:42 am

Where have ya been?

Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:00 am

Guntrader wrote:
Ya, they hand out a bunch of flyers. Doubt anyone reads them.

Not bad for fire starting and the cheap paper can work in a pinch when you need to wipe your butt and the softer stuff isn't available. Can save a T-shirt :bigsmile:

Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:24 pm

Most PD's give out free locks.
http://www.projectchildsafe.org/
Even the MP's on post.
Post a reply