Switch to full style
Current and Upcoming Legislation. Local, State and Federal.

Forum rules

Nothing contained in this section shall be construed as legal advice. All members and guests are advised to perform due diligence in regards to laws and legal actions.
Post a reply

Re: Built AR Pistol Lower, is it a "pistol"?

Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:48 pm

It depends on what it "self-identifies" as...

Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:21 pm

Guns4Liberty wrote:I think what Steve meant is that the OEM is not the ultimate authority on determining the legal classification. They can call it what they want, but it is what ATF/the law says it is, so if the two aren't the same then OEM classification is irrelevant.

In this case the OP was buying from a dealer. Selling something from an OEM. At least that’s what I think the situation is.

I get what Steve was saying, but what Steve was saying confuses the original question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Built AR Pistol Lower, is it a

Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:16 pm

RocketScott wrote:I get what Steve was saying, but what Steve was saying confuses the original question.

Really?

The OEM can build whatever they want, but the ATF will determine how that product gets transferred (pistol, rifle, other).

Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:36 am

MadPick wrote:
RocketScott wrote:I get what Steve was saying, but what Steve was saying confuses the original question.

Really?

The OEM can build whatever they want, but the ATF will determine how that product gets transferred (pistol, rifle, other).

The classifications aren’t a secret though. The OEM knows what they are building and how it will leave the factory.

Re: Built AR Pistol Lower, is it a

Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:34 am

RocketScott wrote:The classifications aren’t a secret though. The OEM knows what they are building and how it will leave the factory.

Here's a "pistol marked lower":
https://www.gunsamerica.com/931936584/M ... -M0210.htm

If I buy that, how will it be identified on the 4473?

Built AR Pistol Lower, is it a "pistol"?

Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:45 am

MadPick wrote:
RocketScott wrote:The classifications aren’t a secret though. The OEM knows what they are building and how it will leave the factory.

Other if the ffl knows what they are doing. It is a receiver until a barrel is attached regardless if it has a stock/brace or nothing.

Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:57 pm

So, if I buy a AR-15 lower and run the background check as a long gun then I cannot built it into a pistol?

Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:06 pm

jorgeu wrote:So, if I buy a AR-15 lower and run the background check as a long gun then I cannot built it into a pistol?

If all you're buying is the lower, and it has never been previously built into a rifle, then it should be marked as "other" on the 4473 and can you can do as you please with it. At least that is my understanding...YMMV

Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:38 pm

MadPick wrote:Yes, an FFL will not treat an "other" as a pistol. That's Washington state policy.

You say that...

However there are a LOT of bad FFLs out there that dont know what the fuck they are doing.

MadPick wrote:

Its an other. Plain and Simple.

jorgeu wrote:So, if I buy a AR-15 lower and run the background check as a long gun then I cannot built it into a pistol?

You can not just "run" it as a long gun. It is an other.

Again, there are a lot of FFLs that talk out their ass and dont know the actual way of doing this.

Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:08 am

After the upcoming abomination initiative passes, what would be the legal status at state level if someone bought an "other" lower, built it into a pistol, then later changed to a stock and minimum 16 inch barrel?

Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:23 am

Capn Blood wrote:After the upcoming abomination initiative passes, what would be the legal status at state level if someone bought an "other" lower, built it into a pistol, then later changed to a stock and minimum 16 inch barrel?

The person already owns it, so it wouldn't be affected by 1639, which only modifies the purchase/transfer process for new-to-you firearms.

Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:36 am

Guns4Liberty wrote:
Capn Blood wrote:After the upcoming abomination initiative passes, what would be the legal status at state level if someone bought an "other" lower, built it into a pistol, then later changed to a stock and minimum 16 inch barrel?

The person already owns it, so it wouldn't be affected by 1639, which only modifies the purchase/transfer process for new-to-you firearms.

Suspected this was the case and it basically neuters the unconstitutional abomination as far as certain designs
Post a reply