Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:15 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Nothing contained in this section shall be construed as legal advice. All members and guests are advised to perform due diligence in regards to laws and legal actions.

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Getting a CPL from a neighboring county 

Are you legally able to get a CPL issued from a neighboring county in Washington? This question comes up in my mind because if you live in King county and the anti-gunners manage to take shall issue away at least there is a loophole that would allow you to obtain one of the Sheriff in that country refuses to issue any.

Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:29 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you are non resident of Washington State - Yes
If you live in city - you go to your city to get CPL
If you are in unincorporated county then You go to your county sherif.

“Legally” you can get the CPL from any issuing agency but it’s managed intended for each jurisdiction to take care of its own. So city - city, county or unincorporated areas - county. You may not get a nice greeting from another county but if they take it - it’s still legal as the CPL is governed by the state. Not a county to county or city to city. It covers the whole state.

And kind of heading you off since you are looking “forward” it’s different than like Oregon where it depends on the CLEO - chief law enforcement officer (aka sheriff or chief of police). Washington State it’s not up to the CLEO except the part of issuing it and that’s still governed by RCW (Revised Code of Washington).

Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:31 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The only thing that does require a CLEO sign off is for NFA items. I tried to get a signature from the chief of Renton for a suppressor and he said he never has and never will sign such a thing.

Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:48 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

rodell wrote:
The only thing that does require a CLEO sign off is for NFA items. I tried to get a signature from the chief of Renton for a suppressor and he said he never has and never will sign such a thing.

So no one in Renton will ever be able to get an NFA item? That would certainly piss me off if I was in that area.

Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:53 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

mislabeled wrote:
rodell wrote:

So no one in Renton will ever be able to get an NFA item? That would certainly piss me off if I was in that area.

That's not true anymore. Now that 41F is in place, there is a CLEO notification, but no sign-off is required.

Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:14 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pretty much what oldkim said - while you technically can get your CPL from any jurisdiction, you're supposed to get it from the one where you live, and there's a good chance you'll be turned away if you go somewhere other than your home jurisdiction. Which is funny because if you apply as a non-resident of WA (or use an out-of-state ID to apply), you can go anywhere you like. When I moved here from Hawaii in 2013, I was living in unincorporated Bothell (Snohomish County). I went to the SnoCo Sheriff's office in Everett and applied with my Hawaii driver's license. The clerk told me I could have gone to Bothell or Lynnwood PD, although she said I did the "right thing" by applying where I did - whatever that means.

Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:20 pm

rodell wrote:

So what did you wind up doing?

Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TacticalTuna wrote:
rodell wrote:

Inquiring minds want to know.

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:21 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Selador wrote:
TacticalTuna wrote:
rodell wrote:

Probably got a trust.

Hopefully then sent a copy of the trust and approved tax stamp along with a molon labe flag to the Renton chief as a nice little "fuck you A-hole!"

Super wishful thinking on my behalf but in my perfect little imaginary world that's how it went down. :bigsmile:

Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:33 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Selador wrote:
TacticalTuna wrote:
rodell wrote:

I did the trust thing. Annoying, but effective.

I didn't send the flag, but I wanted to!

Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:45 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]