Switch to full style
Current and Upcoming Legislation. Local, State and Federal.

Forum rules

Nothing contained in this section shall be construed as legal advice. All members and guests are advised to perform due diligence in regards to laws and legal actions.
Post a reply

new laws new CPL?

Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:09 pm

Sitting here at work I was starting to think about all the new laws proposed (as I pretty much do all day everyday lately), and I started thinking about changes they want to make to our CPLs. Anyone else thinking of renewing in advance? I was even thinking about looking into the oregon CPL route. If for no other reason than to deny WA some revenue. Is the training requirement going to be at the initial or with every renewal? (WA or OR in the case)

Re: new laws new CPL?

Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:36 pm

The OR CHL won’t allow you to carry in WA. If you’re a WA resident, you just have a WA CPL to conceal carry here.

Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:52 pm

My understanding is that the new CPL law would require 8 hours of training, which is nuts.

Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:01 pm

Anyone know if you actually can renew early?

As annoying as this requirement can be, the silver lining is that it may bode well for reciprocity in other states.

Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:13 pm

until this gets into law or not, I believe there is so much unknown that there cannot be any definitive answers. For example- I have a Ct. non res permit. I was a resident there for many years. That state requires training and a proficiency test before getting a permit. Will that satisfy any new standard if passed into laws? And have been trained in military service, will that apply? What about active/reserve military? AFAIK, all require firearms training beyond an 8 hour course..

Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:27 pm

reginald_burrito wrote:Anyone know if you actually can renew early?

As annoying as this requirement can be, the silver lining is that it may bode well for reciprocity in other states.
Earliest you can renew is 90 days out.

https://www.dol.wa.gov/business/firearm ... renew.html

Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:50 pm

We could create a WaGuns Training Unit for just this type of thing.

Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:55 pm

BadKarma wrote:We could create a WaGuns Training Unit for just this type of thing.

Win!

Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:58 pm

Wait, the OR permit won't fly here? Now or under the new laws?

How they can place a number on the hours required for training is stupid. I do restraint training annually for my job, and some programs have 4hrs, others 12hrs, and it seems like all varry greatly on content, focus, seriousness, and relevance. These are state sponsored programs, and rhey have all sucked. Not looking forward to more training on how to do things from people who typically know less than I do. Especially 8hrs worth ot it.

Did they nix open carry with it as well? Because maybe it's time to show our presence and stop living under cover anymore.

Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:30 pm

A.O. wrote:Wait, the OR permit won't fly here? Now or under the new laws?

Now. If you’re a WA resident, then you need a WA resident CPL.

Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:21 pm

BadKarma wrote:We could create a WaGuns Training Unit for just this type of thing.

Absolutely.

1st priority to Waguns members.

500,000+ people will need training? WHOLLY SHIT. Yeah I know, not all at once.........renewals - we don't know yet.

The anti's goals are to eliminate CPLs of course.

Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:03 pm

Damn, i thought WA had always recognized OR permits but not the other way around. Good to know, but not helping my stress levels any... :X

Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:10 pm

https://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carr ... _maps.html

Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:40 pm

A.O. wrote:Damn, i thought WA had always recognized OR permits but not the other way around. Good to know, but not helping my stress levels any... :X

Don't confuse reciprocity with the topic at hand here. Reciprocity doesn't matter.

If you are a Washington resident, Washington law requires that you have a Washington resident CPL. They don't care what non-resident CPLs you have from other states.

Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:04 am

Yeah, i wasn't thinking about national reciprocity. Just was confused by how often i heard of WA residents getting the OR ones. Made an assumption I suppose. So frustrated lately. One freaking tripwire and landmine after another going on.
Post a reply