Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:30 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Nothing contained in this section shall be construed as legal advice. All members and guests are advised to perform due diligence in regards to laws and legal actions.

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Question about Shipping a firearm out of WA State 

Good evening folks, apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere, I tried using the forum search function but it didn't seem to come up in the results and I got some...well I don't know frankly...advice when i went to the gunstore today about shipping guns and I wanted to be sure I'm doing the right thing.

My brother who still lives in California is concerned about the whole coronavirus shindig, particularly after he had some unpleasant incidents just outside his condo. I want to give him, free of charge, my Glock 19 gen 2 as a gift so he at least has the opportunity to learn using a real gun and to have some protection for the home. Since I've moved up here from California, I'm a bit rusty on what the procedure is to actually legally send him my pistol.

My understanding is the following:

-The pistol has to be shipped to an FFL
-He has to pass a background check and safe handling demonstration at the California FFL as well as pass a firearms safety certificate before he can take possession of the pistol after a 10 day waiting period and pay an FFL transfer fee on top of it.
-I can only send 10 round mags to him due to california's mag laws
-I must send a california compliant trigger locking mechanism with the gun or he'll have to buy one from the FFL
-The pistol has to be shipped via contract carrier and cannot be shipped USPS.
-My understanding is that the Authorized Handgun roster does not apply to private party transfers but I'm not 100% on that.

Here's the things I'm not entirely sure of and I appreciate any feedback you can send my way:

-Am I allowed to ship the gun directly via Fedex/UPS to an FFL, without having it go through an FFL up here? Are there any special considerations I should be aware of when packing the gun?
-Is there any additional documentation I need to include with the gun? I vaguely recall reading somewhere I'd need to include a copy of my driver's license as well as some kind of signed affidavit saying I am divesting ownership of the pistol and giving it to him?
-If I am not allowed to ship the gun myself, does anyone know of any FFLs near the lynnwood/edmonds area that are still doing FFL to FFL shipments at this time?

Once again I sincerely appreciate the help folks. I want to make sure I do this right and help my brother out.

Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:49 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

A lot of what you have in there is CA-specific . . . but from a federal/WA standpoint:

- Yes, the pistol needs to be shipped to an FFL, not directly to the buyer (aka brother)
- Yes, you can ship it to the FFL yourself, without involvement by a WA FFL.
- Yes, if you ship it to the FFL yourself then you need to ship it overnight by UPS or FedEx, and it's going to cost you . . . maybe $75-ish.
- If you choose to have an FFL ship it for you, then the FFL is allowed to ship USPS which is going to be much cheaper. But, you'll probably need to pay the FFL for their troubles too.

No special requirements for packing it, but obviously pack it well. Don't ship any ammo with it. And, you need to notify the shipper (UPS or FedEx) that it's a firearm when you drop it off.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:54 pm

Thank you very much for the quick reply Madpick, sincerely appreciate it. Ok that's definitely a load off of my shoulders. I'll get a solid box and get everything prepped then. I just have to make sure the receiving FFL is ready to go then.

Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:00 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

no notations or markings on the outside of the packing carton that there is a firearm inside

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:01 pm

One other thing...and this is courtesy of the People's Republic of California...

MAKE SURE THAT THE GUN YOU SHIP IS ON THE CA APPROVED LIST FOR OWNED FIREARMS.

I cannot stress this enough.

If you ship him a gun that is NOT on the approved list, the minute he takes possession, he turns into an instant felon.

Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:41 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Powderman wrote:
One other thing...and this is courtesy of the People's Republic of California...

If you ship him a gun that is NOT on the approved list, the minute he takes possession, he turns into an instant felon.

Since it has to go to a California FFL01 would not the FFL stop the transaction and inform all parties that the gun was illegal under California law?

Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:37 am

I was at the UPS in Sodo a few weeks ago. I was sending a hard disk drive. The clerk asked me if the package contained a fire arm. I said no and asked why. He said that UPS is not mailing firearms any more. If you plan on using UPS you might want to call ahead.

Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:16 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tell them to show you that in writing.

https://www.ups.com/us/en/help-center/packaging-and-supplies/special-care-shipments/firearms.page

The Right to Buy Weapons Is the Right to Be Free

Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:24 pm
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

james2562 wrote:
I was at the UPS in Sodo a few weeks ago. I was sending a hard disk drive. The clerk asked me if the package contained a fire arm. I said no and asked why. He said that UPS is not mailing firearms any more. If you plan on using UPS you might want to call ahead.

Not true...simply not true.

I wish I had counted how many times I have had to educate misguided (leftist) employees of FedEx, UPS, and USPS on their own policies and federal law.
If only these companies would TRAIN their employees!

Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:43 pm
Profile WWW

Powderman wrote:

Beyond that, the receiving FFL will want a CFLC code number, which you get from the CA Firearms folks. Whether you need that as an individual, I cannot say. But, there is enough hassle involved that, as a sending FFL, I charge $45 for the work involved.

Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:02 pm
Profile WWW

Damn...that's a good question then. I need to see what version of Glock 19 I have then. Is it true that only certain gens of glock are legal to be sold in california?

Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:08 pm

Ok looks like I answered my own question.

https://www.oag.ca.gov/firearms/certifi ... ake=150972

I know for sure my Glock19 is not a Gen 4 or 5. I believe it's a Gen 2 so I should be good. I've already purchased some 10 round mags and a trigger cable lock for him so now he just needs to find a willing FFL. I recall that a lot of them down there pretty much loathe taking FFL shipments from individuals so that's my major concern honestly. That's why I initially wondered if I even was allowed to ship something by myself.

Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:14 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yeah, just have him talk to FFLs and get it squared away with one of them. Yes, they’ll almost certainly want a copy of your driver’s license in the box.

Oh, and: Fuck California gun laws.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:53 am
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]