Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:28 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Nothing contained in this section shall be construed as legal advice. All members and guests are advised to perform due diligence in regards to laws and legal actions.

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 19YO be in possession of fathers handgun living elsewhere 

Back in 2016 when I was 16 my dad promised to gift me a S&W 659 when I turned 18. But since I’m 19 now and asking this now you can probably guess that didn’t happen. Laws changed and things got questionable. It was a topic that got brought up again and I’ve read the laws on this multiple times, but I’m still unsure. Can I, my fathers child @ 19 years old be given possession of the S&W 659 in his ownership to keep at my own place of abode (which is not with him)? I’m not in a rush to get my hands on it so it’s not like I’m going to bite the bullet. Just looking for some clarification.

Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:24 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Several things to clear up.

You can’t purchase the handgun. No FFL can sell to you.
You and he live in Washington State.

As for transfer and needing background check:

(4) This section does not apply to:
(a) A transfer between immediate family members, which for this subsection shall be limited to spouses, domestic partners, parents, parents-in-law, children, siblings, siblings-in-law, grandparents, grandchildren, nieces, nephews, first cousins, aunts, and uncles, that is a bona fide gift or loan;
https://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.113

As for possession in Washington State:
RCW 9.41.240

Possession of pistol or semiautomatic assault rifle by person from eighteen to twenty-one.

(1) A person under twenty-one years of age may not purchase a pistol or semiautomatic assault rifle, and except as otherwise provided in this chapter, no person may sell or transfer a semiautomatic assault rifle to a person under twenty-one years of age.
(2) Unless an exception under RCW 9.41.042, 9.41.050, or 9.41.060 applies, a person at least eighteen years of age, but less than twenty-one years of age, may possess a pistol only:
(a) In the person's place of abode;
(b) At the person's fixed place of business; or
(c) On real property under his or her control.
(3) Except in the places and situations
https://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.240

So fundamentally and this isn’t legal advice but from stated RCW.

Appears you are good to go.

Buying ammo from store may become problematic for you.

Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:20 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Dang, I had a response half-written, but oldkim beat me to it and did a stellar writeup. thumbsup

Welcome to WaGuns, Levi. I agree with oldkim. :bigsmile:

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:22 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Double post

Last edited by oldkim on Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:26 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Grayfox000 wrote:
Back in 2016 when I was 16 my dad promised to gift me a S&W 659 when I turned 18. But since I’m 19 now and asking this now you can probably guess that didn’t happen. Laws changed and things got questionable. It was a topic that got brought up again and I’ve read the laws on this multiple times, but I’m still unsure. Can I, my fathers child @ 19 years old be given possession of the S&W 659 in his ownership to keep at my own place of abode (which is not with him)? I’m not in a rush to get my hands on it so it’s not like I’m going to bite the bullet. Just looking for some clarification.

Strictly within the confines of the question, yes. And you don't have to go through a transfer process. Perfectly legal. He gives it to you, now it's yours, and no laws were broken.

You can't go BUY a pistol at this age. But it is perfectly legal for your father to give you one, and for you to possess it.

Now... Questions would be, are you otherwise legally allowed to own a firearm? In other words, do you have any restrictions that would keep you from owning a firearm? Felony conviction, etc...

Do you live with someone who is restricted?

Etc. I'm sure others will have other questions.

Also, I believe that while it is legal for you to own the pistol, you still can't get a concealed carry lisence, and cannot otherwise (open) carry it around with you.

This is all just my country bumpkin understanding. I am not a lawyer. And if I am wrong about anything, I know someone will be here to correct me. :bigsmile:

Edit: Dang, OldKim beat me to it.

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:28 pm

I appreciate all of your responses on top of the utter speed I received answers. I don’t plan on open carrying or conceal carrying as those are simply not something I can work around or even have a want to do. I prefer doing things the right way and this has given me some solid ground to work on. The people I live with are my sister and brother in law, both of which are quality people. I love that stupid gun so much and have fond memories with it so I’m glad I have a chance to keep it around.

Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:39 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As for conceal/open carry (in your own home).... totally legal.

It’s when you leave the home it becomes illegal (conceal) without a CPL.

Open carry is a different discussion.

Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:54 pm

Go to Idaho maybe or a close bye state if your willing to have a long car ride there not communist in those states! Lol SMH

Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:29 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blackrifle wrote:
Go to Idaho maybe or a close bye state if your willing to have a long car ride there not communist in those states! Lol SMH

Why? What the OP is wanting to do isn't illegal in this Communist State. But, trying to circumvent State or Federal laws, are. Let's not try and advise this up and coming ambassador of our 2A to start off his journey by becoming a criminal.

Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:13 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:
Blackrifle wrote:

Why? What the OP is wanting to do isn't illegal in this Communist State. But, trying to circumvent State or Federal laws, are. Let's not try and advise this up and coming ambassador of our 2A to start off his journey by becoming a criminal.

Thank you.

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:42 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]