Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:25 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Advice on removing parts to install a free float handguard? 

So I, being new to AR15s bought an M&P15 Sport II and I ordered a free float handguard to replace the stock Magpul MOE guard.

I got the Magpul handguard off, but im stuck with some annoyances that I'm unsure how to conquer.

I took the little pin out of the bottom of this steel block toward the front of the rifle but I can't budge it, and the pressure fitting at the base of the barrell seems as if I don't have the ability to install the free floater. Did I buy an item that is useless for my gun or am I just stupid?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:30 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It looks like your gas block, the part that has the tube runnung back toward the bolt, might be to big to fit inside your new fore end. If so,You might be able to get a lower profile gasblock. I also think you might need a different barrel nut assembly to clamp the new fore end too if it isn’t included.

So, when does that "Old enough to know better" shit kick in???
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:41 pm

Traut wrote:
It looks like your gas block, the part that has the tube runnung back toward the bolt, might be to big to fit inside your new fore end. If so,You might be able to get a lower profile gasblock. I also think you might need a different barrel nut assembly to clamp the new fore end too if it isn’t included.

Alright. I'll look into that a low profile gas block. The fore end has a threaded fixture pinned into the leading end which I can unscrew and re-fasten if need be, but getting the stock pressure mechanism off seems impossible, at least to me with the tools that I have.

Thank you for the insight.

Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:04 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In order for your new fore end to work, the gasblock and gas tube would need to be removed. Then the black delta ring at the base of the barrel (barrel nut) needs to be unscrewed and replaced or (adapter installed ) with the one inside the base of the new fore end. This normally takes a special tool/wrench that aren't too expensive. A good vise and adapters to hold the rifle is a big help too. You’re on the wrong side of the pond, or I'd be glad to show you. It would be faster than typing!! It would be a good idea to get some help if you're not sure of your ability. Have somebody show you how to strip down the bolt too if you're not familiar with the procedure. Once somebody shows you the basics, it's easy. Plan B, not highly recommended, but in a pinch, YouTube.

I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:38 pm

Alright, Traut. Thank you very much for the information. When I bought the handguard the website said "everything needed for installation and accommodation is included in this box" but it said nothing about the gas block lol. I think at this point I'm just gonna stick the handguard in the closet for the time being and stick the Magpul back on. Unfortunately I dont have much time or money to mess with on parts and tools for the next 2 weeks.. Thanks again for reaching out.

Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:01 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Check this out. https://youtu.be/_u0j1j9opXQ

Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm just up the road from you and would be happy to bring my tools etc. over.
I'm retired, so most any time.
All you'd need is the proper parts (new low-profile gas block and make sure the handguard has a barrel nut) and a good solid mounted vise.

Let me know!

The Right to Buy Weapons Is the Right to Be Free

Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:49 pm

To both members who shared insight and offered their assistance, you both rock! Traut: That video is so awesome and in depth. It makes understanding the process much easier. I will have to buy a different gas block. Thank you.

Isildur: Thank you for offering. I'll send you a PM shortly, although you are far less busy than I am, so I will not be in a rush.

Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:13 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

SigmaMentality wrote:
Isildur: Thank you for offering. I'll send you a PM shortly, although you are far less busy than I am, so I will not be in a rush.

Don't do it.

Yeah, he'll help you with your AR. Then he'll show you some fancy pistol that he owns. Or a rifle. Or a black powder revolver. And then you'll get jealous, and spend money. A lot of money.

Best to just steer clear of that guy.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:33 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

SigmaMentality wrote:

Just kidding . . . in all seriousness, THIS is the best possible move you can make. Jay is the man. thumbsup

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:33 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:

Don't do it.

Yeah, he'll help you with your AR. Then he'll show you some fancy pistol that he owns. Or a rifle. Or a black powder revolver. And then you'll get jealous, and spend money. A lot of money.

Best to just steer clear of that guy.

I might could easily lead someone into temptation... Image

But it's their choice if they want to follow me! Image

The Right to Buy Weapons Is the Right to Be Free

Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:43 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If I needed it, I'd be glad to have Jay's help. There's the right way and my way to do things. Jay doesn't do things my way.

Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:56 pm

Yes, all you need is a low-profile gas block, and a few tools.

Don't skimp on the gas block, definitely don't go aluminum. Aero Precision, BCM, Midwest Industries, etc., lot of good brands out there.

When they say "all you need for installation", they mean the rail will include the proprietary barrel nut, wrench attachment for same (if needed), screws, etc., depending on specific design.

You can actually remove the GI barrel nut with a pipe wrench, especially if you're not worried about marring it (won't matter in this case). BTDT, works fine, if you have a vise and block of some sort to hold the upper.

The TM for the M16/M4 FOW actually specifies clamping onto the barrel itself for the procedure....but most of us don't.

Once the barrel nut is loose, and barrel assembly out of the upper, some snap ring pliers (or man-handle with screwdrivers, etc.) to remove the snap ring, and the delta ring, spring, and nut come off.

That railed GB that came with the gun will require loosening of set screws on bottom and/or punching out of a roll pin.

Generally the flash hider needs to come off for this as well. Lefty-loosey, no big deal.

New GB, use red loctite on the set screws, AND stake around them with a center punch.

Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]