Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:36 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 The Marlin model 25M Project 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

just curious, what did you pay for the rifle?

Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:15 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

steveo_1704 wrote:

You might not believe it, but I paid a whopping $10.00 + tax

Actor portrayal, Action figures sold separately, You must be at least this tall to ride, Individual results may vary, Sales tax not included, All models are over 18 years of age, upon approval of credit, Quantities are limited while supplies last, Some restrictions apply, Not available with other offers, At participating locations only, Void where prohibited, Above terms subject to change without notice, Patent pending.

See my blog: http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/

Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:55 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Once again, Casey . . . wow. I love seeing your work!

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:34 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TINCANBANDIT wrote:
steveo_1704 wrote:

You might not believe it, but I paid a whopping $10.00 + tax

wow. just wow..... for $10, i'd buy that rifle and see what i could do with it. since i've not done any restoring, it would prob look worse than when i started ;)

Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:55 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As always, you do a really good job walking us through the process. Your blog is much appreciated as well with many great projects from start to finish.

Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:30 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You do some nice work Casey. :bow: That Stock turned out great. It really has some nice figure that shows now. :wagwoot:

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

thank you for the kind words, I'm glad you guys appreciate the hard work that goes into making these guns look respectable again.

I was able to get some bluing done this weekend and got up early this morning to reassemble 3 guns

Actor portrayal, Action figures sold separately, You must be at least this tall to ride, Individual results may vary, Sales tax not included, All models are over 18 years of age, upon approval of credit, Quantities are limited while supplies last, Some restrictions apply, Not available with other offers, At participating locations only, Void where prohibited, Above terms subject to change without notice, Patent pending.

Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:09 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Time to assemble the gun

I assembled the bolt

After getting the gun put back together I noticed a few problems:

I noticed the end piece (silver part) would not stay put. There is a small pin in the bolt that is the exact spot to sit in the groove on the firing pin housing.

You can tap in to keep the firing pin housing from coming loose, just a little tap, too far and the housing wont spin and you will have to drill it out to get it apart again

For some reason the safety was loose, so I found a thin, stainless washer to take up the gap and tighten it up, it now takes some effort to move it and it stays put, just like a good safety should.

I also noticed the trigger pull got much worse. I installed a snap cap and measured it and got an average of 4 1/2 lbs......

Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:14 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

so I could work over the stainless trigger or go back to the blued one.

A couple of tricks for a lighter pull, one is to stone or sand the trigger sear engagement surfaces, the other is to install a lighter spring. I noticed the spring I removed was the factory spring (the stainless trigger also came with a factory spring and I compared them).

So If I want to use the stainless trigger I need to clean up the engagement surfaces and install a lighter spring.

Someone figured out you can use the spring from a ball point pen, a Papermate Flex Grip pen

The be clear the trigger spring is for trigger reset, the sear has it's own spring and should be left along, the sear spring is what prevents the gun from firing when dropped. Some people have complained of issues with trigger reset when using the lighter spring. This could be caused by friction between the trigger and the post that it pivots on. Something that can be fixed with trigger shims from Triggershims.com

After looking through my collection of springs I found one that fit and was lighter weight, but I couldn't get the trigger to reset properly.

Then I compared the stainless trigger to the original blued one, the blued one has more contact surface and was definitely smoother.

Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:18 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So I reinstalled the blued trigger and the original trigger spring and retested the trigger pull, this time we were closer to original 2 lbs, it was about 2 3/4 lbs. The trigger resets reliably, so I can live with this, besides as it wears in again the pull weight will no doubt drop

Finished!

Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:22 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:24 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Costs for the project:

Rifle: $10.96 (with tax)

Two 7 round magazines: $26

Butt Plate: $1 (gun show purchase)

Butt Plate Screws: $0 (took off another stock)

Sling Stud Set: $6.54

Bipod: $0 (came on another rifle I bought)

Total: $44.50

I don't include the cost of materials & chemicals, hard to calculate that stuff and most of it I already owned.

Before and after photos:

Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:27 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes, I can see a slight difference between the before and after photos.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

wow. amazing work there. you could probably sell it for at least $150.

Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:27 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looking good!

That picture showing the blued and stainless trigger sear engagement surfaces is a great example of some of the changes Marlin (and other companies) made over the years where the old parts were better.

One question - why do you have the bipod mounted that direction? I see some people do that, so there must be a reason, but I haven't figured out what it is. Seems like several disadvantages that way but what's the benefit?

Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next