Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:19 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Cutting down an AK? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So I'm sitting here wishing I had picked up another AK pistol to SBR, when I looked at my PSAK G3 and thought... could I just cut the barrel down? I know there is a ton of work involved in AK stuff, but is shortening a barrel any easier than changing a rear trunion? Maybe I just have too much timen on my hands, but I dont have any local AK guys with tools to do a rear trunion swap even if I did have the spare AK pistol to do it.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"A nation grown free in a single day is a child born with the limbs and the vigour of a man, who would take a drawn sword for his rattle, and set the house in a blaze that he might chuckle over the splendour." Sydney Smith (1771-1845)
Spoiler: show
NOW YOU DID IT...
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:59 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I guess a straight barrel swap would be easiest in this situation, but I'm just mulling ideas over my rum tknight.

"A nation grown free in a single day is a child born with the limbs and the vigour of a man, who would take a drawn sword for his rattle, and set the house in a blaze that he might chuckle over the splendour." Sydney Smith (1771-1845)
NOW YOU DID IT...

Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:05 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well, you're looking at a replacement of both the barrel and the gas system, right?

I'd go buy that AK pistol. :)

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:06 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

AK pistol for sure.

Modify the rifle means cut barrel. Change gas system. New piston.

Save the money. It’ll only be slightly more expensive to buy and put a stock on a pistol than modify the rifle. And then you’ll have two AK’s!

Look at it this way. You can modify the rifle for around $400. Or buy a pistol and add a stock for around $700. $300 difference for one AK vs two AK’s

Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:26 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

I wouldn't cut it down.
Get another one, sell that one if you have to.

Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:31 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Brad had a Yugo M92 on the wall last week for a good price....Just sayin' A Tax stamp, a folding adapter and a Triangle stock later and you get this.
:bigsmile:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Last edited by usrifle on Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:31 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Kind of what I was thinking, but then I looked at it and thought, "maybe..... just maybe, it could be done easier."

I did a rear trunion replacement on my m92 years ago, and it was a complete nightmare of a crap job. I actually want to reuse all this magpul stuff on the new one, but I've been hesitant to buy anything post 1639. Maybe I need to move to my dad's in oregon for 90days, and buy it there. :X

NOW YOU DID IT...

Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For reference I do have this...

NOW YOU DID IT...

Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:39 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

But due to the poor install and over-gassed system, numerous welds and rivets failed over the years, and now it looks like hell in the back.

NOW YOU DID IT...

Last edited by A.O. on Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A.O. wrote:
For reference I do have this...

Nice! Same as mine pretty much, but a better pic. :bow: I have a Bakelite grip laying around, i need to put that on it.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:43 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll make this easy for you. No tax stamp needed. These are in stock for now.

https://armsofamerica.com/wbp-polish-mi ... 39-pistol/

https://www.bonesteelarms.com/Folding-A ... -FS-AB.htm
The Draco model fits the Mini-Jack

Divided we fall.

Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:49 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No, I'm not looking for a braced pistol. I want another SBR using Zhukov furniture I have. I can't stand braced AKs.

NOW YOU DID IT...

Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:20 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

pardon me, but isn't illegal to cut a rifle down into a pistol? Or maybe I missing something here...I thought once it is built as a rifle it must stay a rifle

Actor portrayal, Action figures sold separately, You must be at least this tall to ride, Individual results may vary, Sales tax not included, All models are over 18 years of age, upon approval of credit, Quantities are limited while supplies last, Some restrictions apply, Not available with other offers, At participating locations only, Void where prohibited, Above terms subject to change without notice, Patent pending.

See my blog: http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/

Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:24 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In order to cut down a barrel on an AK properly it must be removed from the front trunnion and placed on a lathe. I was quoted over $300 to turn my RH-10 into an SBR. The best way to go about it is to start with a high quality pistol, which is already gassed correctly for the barrel length. Tactical Assault can answer questions about this procedure. The WBP offerings have been compared in quality to the Veper made rifles recently by the well respected AK guru Mishaco.

Divided we fall.

Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:21 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TINCANBANDIT wrote:
pardon me, but isn't illegal to cut a rifle down into a pistol? Or maybe I missing something here...I thought once it is built as a rifle it must stay a rifle

$200 Tax stamp defeats that.

Divided we fall.

Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:21 am
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next