Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:01 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 cutting a barrel 10 /22 
FFL / Dealer

I am getting a factory take off carbine barrel for a 10 /22 it will be going on my charger build. I have several ways to cut (hacksaw sawzall ext) I will decide when it gets here. My question is how do I cut it square? The profile of the 10/22 is very tapered and I cannot for the life of me come up with a method to level and square the barrel.
One idea I have is to level it off of the camber portion where it enters the receiver by clamping that portion in a vice using the pipe jaws padded and taped off of course? Any help will be appreciated.

Sat May 02, 2020 7:33 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The509busman wrote:
I am getting a factory take off carbine barrel for a 10 /22 it will be going on my charger build. I have several ways to cut (hacksaw sawzall ext) I will decide when it gets here. My question is how do I cut it square? The profile of the 10/22 is very tapered and I cannot for the life of me come up with a method to level and square the barrel.
One idea I have is to level it off of the camber portion where it enters the receiver by clamping that portion in a vice using the pipe jaws padded and taped off of course? Any help will be appreciated.

Take a small hose clamp (or even a ring), slide it down the barrel then tape it off at the line.

Sat May 02, 2020 7:40 am
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

It sounds like you’re asking two different questions. Cutting the barrel square and leveling the barrel are two different things.
When I was a hacksmith I did a similar operation on a Mauser.

You can use vice pads for cylinders instead of the pipe clamp on the vice and that should be enough to hold it depending on your vice.

You can rough it in with a hack saw.

You can purchase a cutter from Pacific Tool and Gauge, Chuck it in a drill, use lots of fluid, clear chips, and square the muzzle. Then use a crown cutter and cut it to the angle you want.

1911 Pistolsmithing
Firearm Refinishing
GLOCK Certified Armorer
CMMG Authorized Dealer
NEMO Arms Authorized Dealer
http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms/

Sat May 02, 2020 8:04 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I believe that removing the barrel and using a lathe would do the job right if accuracy is a concern.

Divided we fall.

Sat May 02, 2020 8:56 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I bought a dovetail cutting jig, but you can make one yourself

take a 2" piece of square tubing, drill and tap one corner for a 1/4-20 bolt.
Then remove the bolt and heat the square tubing red hot and dunk in oil, this will harden the metal

Attach to the barrel just below your ugly non square cut, file the barrel down until the file hits the hardened metal on the square tubing (you will here the file skate across the hard metal) this way you can get it perfectly square.

Actor portrayal, Action figures sold separately, You must be at least this tall to ride, Individual results may vary, Sales tax not included, All models are over 18 years of age, upon approval of credit, Quantities are limited while supplies last, Some restrictions apply, Not available with other offers, At participating locations only, Void where prohibited, Above terms subject to change without notice, Patent pending.

See my blog: http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/

Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:31 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you're close to Oly, I'll chuck it up in my G4003G for you. I made a few Charger barrels out of old 10/22 barrels just a few weeks ago.

Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]