Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:21 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 My Archangel Build - Mosin Purists Avert Your Eyes! 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Disclaimer: I started with a Big 5 special, Russian 91/30. This is not a 'collectible' mosin.

I've got a few mosins now, and have decided that I wanted to try my hand at a little home gunsmithing. I considered paying TA to do the work, but then decided I'd rather pay him to fix it if I screwed it up :bigsmile:

I'm not going for a 'sniper' rifle, I'm not expecting some sort of insane accuracy, I just wanted to customize it a bit, and make the rifle a little more comfortable and fun to shoot. It was a very fun project, and I'm just waiting for a break my my hectic schedule to get out and shoot it.

Original Rifle:

Remove Stock, Front sight & barrel/handguard rings

Melt solder and remove rear sight.

I wanted it a bit shorter, so I cut the barrel right where it becomes .625 so I can thread it for a standard muzzle brake.

Used a pipe cutter to give myself a nice score to cut to, trying to keep my barrel as square as possible.

hacksaw time. I cut off approx 5", bringing the barrel down to around 23" in length

In an effort to square up the barrel, and not spend a bunch of money, I used my Lee case trimmer with 30 cal guide, as a crowning tool. Its not large enough to cut the entire end, but I think it looks pretty cool. I used a brass screw with some buffing compound to get rid of any burs on the inside of the barrel, and it passes the Q-tip test.

Test fitting in the stock

I planned to put a scope mount on it, so I needed to make a bent bolt. that means the old bolt handle had to go

Test fitting the smooth bolt to mark my new bolt location

Drill and tap a hole for the new bolt handle

Making a bolt handle out of a bolt :thumbsup2:

Test fitting the new bolt handle with a knob I got off ebay.

So all this time, I had been shopping for a good scope mount. I wasn't happy with most of the options. I didn't want a 'scout' style scope, hence the effort with the bent bolt. And since I was going with a more modern looking plastic stock, I didn't want to fit a classic mosin scope to it. I spent a bit of money and got a 'rock solid' scope mount. after receiving it, drilling and tapping the receiver, and mounting it up, I realized my bolt wasn't going to work. time to go back to the drawing board.

Man that scope mount is low. clearance is tight, but it fits now. combination of heating and hammering the bolt handle flat, and sanding it for additional clearance.

Buffed it up to match the rest of the bolt, first version vs second.

when threaded in, it lands exactly where I want it. I've got it in with loc-tite now, after a few range sessions I may silver solder the bolt handle in place for added rigidity.

threw a scope and bipod on it, and ready to go try it out! Doesn't really resemble a mosin anymore :ROFLMAO:

On a side note, I'm very impressed with the Archangel stock quality. Its much heavier than I expected, and appears to be built very stout. Extremely adjustable, and seems pretty comfortable. Of course, can't really know for sure until some lead goes down range.

Last edited by brian on Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:39 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very nice work

Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:49 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wow, I'm impressed . . . that's some good work, all things considered. Let us know how it shoots!

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:44 am
Founding Father
Founding Father

The best thing you did there was spend the money on the Rock Solid mount. They didn't get that name for nothing.

I wondered why I never heard back from you that day. Looks good man.

Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:51 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

That looks awesome Brian!! Good work. When's the range report?

Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:54 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TacticalAssault wrote:

Thanks guys!

I still haven't threaded the barrel, after I get to the range I'll decide if I want to get that done as well. Depending on how much I like it will determine if i'm going to paint or cerakote the barrel.

Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:03 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

nice work man, that looks like a totally different rifle, lol

Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:11 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Very cool. If you have any issues with the rounds not popping up correctly, you may need to file a little off of the left side ledge inside the stock where the disconnector needs to move. I got an early stock that had some interference with the disconnector. Also, depending on the generation of the mags, they may also need work to run smooth.

Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:39 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

olydemon wrote:
Very cool. If you have any issues with the rounds not popping up correctly, you may need to file a little off of the left side ledge inside the stock where the disconnector needs to move. I got an early stock that had some interference with the disconnector. Also, depending on the generation of the mags, they may also need work to run smooth.

thanks for the tips!

Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:48 am
Founding Father
Founding Father

brian wrote:
TacticalAssault wrote:

Thanks guys!

I still haven't threaded the barrel, after I get to the range I'll decide if I want to get that done as well. Depending on how much I like it will determine if i'm going to paint or cerakote the barrel.

Sounds good. Let us know how it shoots.

Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:17 pm

Looks nice! I have the same stock and it is nice...but not perfect at all. Mine the trigger guard prevented the trigger from being pulled fully. Seriously dangerous as you pull the trigger then it could be 3-4 seconds till it fired. I had to file the area so the trigger can fire everytime. I still have a bit of work to do there since I only rough filed to get it to fire for now. I also don't care for the swivel stud for a bipod. Had to drill a hole to get it in...feel like they could do better there. But othere than those two it was a quick and easy change to the new stock...all two screws. Took longer to get the silly handguard bands off!

At the range the stock is nice! Felt comfortable for sure. I only put 10 rounds through it since Im still not 100% on the trigger area. The magazine is nice but I had issues with it seating right. I'm sure it is more on me than the gun though and with only two tries at the range I wouldbt blame gun yet. It worked fine with dummy rounds at home too.

For the money its a decent stock. I wish I would have waited to get it instead of preordering. But it works.

O and I used a type 53 for reference

Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:28 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My trigger appears to have plenty of room, but the range will be the real test.

I mounted a small section of rail under the forearm with bolts/nuts to mount the bipod to, nice and sturdy.

Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:13 pm
Founding Father
Founding Father

Damn it, Brian. Between yours and the one I handled today I have now officially added this to my "TA to do list." I'm going to build the shit out of one of these things. *sigh*

Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:29 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TacticalAssault wrote:
Damn it, Brian. Between yours and the one I handled today I have now officially added this to my "TA to do list." I'm going to build the shit out of one of these things. *sigh*

Look forward to seeing your take on it! I've got high expectations.

Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:23 am

brian wrote:
My trigger appears to have plenty of room, but the range will be the real test.

I mounted a small section of rail under the forearm with bolts/nuts to mount the bipod to, nice and sturdy.

Yeah it seems to be an issue only on some of them. Mine the trigger literally hit the triggerguard before firing. Had to file a good 1/8inch to get it to fire everytime and is it is now it still touches the guard.

Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:34 am
Reply to topic   [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next