Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:29 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 My Archangel Build - Mosin Purists Avert Your Eyes! 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Why didn't you just make your own muzzle brake? :facepalm2:

Just kidding, man. I'm impressed that you just jump on these projects and do them all yourself . . . you've got skillz. :bow:

Keep the updates going! I'm about to start a Mosin project myself, and I'm going to steal as many of your ideas as possible . . . .

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:46 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

it would be fun to make a brake, but I don't have a lathe or mill... maybe it's time to look into that :bigsmile:

Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:48 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice! I just ordered my Tobuk brake and got the rocksolid mount ordered. I sprung for their bolt turndown service as well. How much did that threading kit run you? I'm not sure I want to do it myself yet. Might see if I can find a local who needs a little cash to mount everything for me. lol

"A nation grown free in a single day is a child born with the limbs and the vigour of a man, who would take a drawn sword for his rattle, and set the house in a blaze that he might chuckle over the splendour." Sydney Smith (1771-1845)
Spoiler: show
NOW YOU DID IT...
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:54 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Awesome trigger. I've always been curious.

So, how much do you charge for mods? :bigsmile: I just got a barrel off of Ebay the other day to go along with my 1917 receiver I fund at the gunshow last year.

Here is the barrel: http://www.ebay.com/itm/mosin-nagant-91 ... fresh=true

My plan is to build this one up to be put in the Archangel stock, cut down and threaded. However if I like it too much, I might be tempted to cut down the T-53 Im getting instead....

Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:55 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The threading kit was about $50 plus shipping, and I plan to thread my vepr as well.

I'm not looking to do any mods to other people's guns, as I'm inexperienced and don't want to mess anything up. I'm willing to risk it on my own toys :)

Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:01 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

brian wrote:
The threading kit was about $50 plus shipping, and I plan to thread my vepr as well.

I'm not looking to do any mods to other people's guns, as I'm inexperienced and don't want to mess anything up. I'm willing to risk it on my own toys :)

haha, how about I sell you my t53 to you for $1 and then I will buy it back for $2 that's doubling your $$.

Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:03 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Missed this thread somehow,, cool project that turned out good.

So how does it shoot?

Just using spam can ammo or better stuff..?

Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:02 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

olydemon wrote:
haha, how about I sell you my t53 to you for $1 and then I will buy it back for $2 that's doubling your $$.

as long as you promise to buy it back for $2 when I've screwed it up so bad that it'll cost $300 to have TA fix it :bigsmile:

mustangfreek wrote:
Missed this thread somehow,, cool project that turned out good.
So how does it shoot?
Just using spam can ammo or better stuff..?

It shoots great, I'm very happy. All my spam can ammo is the reason I built the rifle, I can shoot this thing for cheaper than 9mm :thumbsup2:

Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:54 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All I can say is wow...this rifle just keeps getting better. what size thread pitch did you put at the end of your barrel?

Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:53 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

db-elwood wrote:
All I can say is wow...this rifle just keeps getting better. what size thread pitch did you put at the end of your barrel?

5/8 - 24 is the standard thread pitch for most 308 suppressors and brakes, so that's what I went with.

Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:05 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey Brian, have you selected optics for your rifle yet? I've killed one scope and knocked the replacement out of zero three times now. I'm wondering what you went with, or what you have found while shopping that might hold up to the task?

"A nation grown free in a single day is a child born with the limbs and the vigour of a man, who would take a drawn sword for his rattle, and set the house in a blaze that he might chuckle over the splendour." Sydney Smith (1771-1845)
NOW YOU DID IT...

Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:41 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A.Oster wrote:
Hey Brian, have you selected optics for your rifle yet? I've killed one scope and knocked the replacement out of zero three times now. I'm wondering what you went with, or what you have found while shopping that might hold up to the task?

I bought this $100 on amazon and have been happy with it so far. I've only been to the range twice though, so I can't speak for its long term durability.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005IC ... UTF8&psc=1

Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:06 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interesting! I've been thinking of getting one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Firefield-Tactica ... ds=FF13045

Looks like the same scope. I found it for about $100 shipped, so I thought I might give it a try. The NCSTAR that I have seems to only be good for .223 :\
One of my concerns is eye relief. If it has to sit too far back on the scope ring, then my knuckle bashes the adjustment knob when I cycle the bolt. Still wondering why RockSolid didn't make the whole scope mount a continuous rail. It's not like we're going to remove the scope, use stripper clips, and then remount our scope every 5 rounds... If it were continuous, we'd have more options on ring placement to avoid knuckle bashing. I'll keep your link in mind!

NOW YOU DID IT...

Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:24 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A little necromancy today...

Took my Mosin project out again today. Haven't shot it much in the last few years. Someone, somewhere, was asking about my groupings, so I did some checking today. I figure I'd put it here since this is where we were talking about the new scopes.

So, I'm shooting surplu silver tip ammo. The rifle is marked 1941. I'm kind of half laying, half leaning against a dirt berm. The target is 100yrds away. I poked a hole with a bullet, and then aimed for that. I shot three 10rnd mags and two 5 rnd mags today. I'm no sniper or marksman at all. I just had the rifle in the dirt and my body laying on the brambles. I have less than one spam can through this rifle over the last 5 yrs, so I'm not an expert by any means. The bold "X" is the point of aim. One group was a 4 shot group, but the rest should be shown.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NOW YOU DID IT...

Last edited by A.O. on Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:14 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ignore the other holes. I was also playing with my PSAK today. :)

Also, posting from my phone, so I appologize if its a mess.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NOW YOU DID IT...

Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next