MadPick wrote:
Welcome to WaGuns, Josh!

Indiana ... I think you're the first. thumbsup

Thank you!

Josh

Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:48 pm
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

In my opinion, most Mosin (and for that matter, other WWII rifles) problems with accuracy can be traced to the relationship between bullet and barrel groove diameter. For instance, the Mosin I own is a Westinghouse sporter model (can we assume sporting models might have been exposed to a higher level of quality control?) and a soft lead slug driven through the barrel reveals a groove diameter of .3175", perfect for an 8x57J, but a little loose for a .312" bullet. Sure, some trigger and sight work, perhaps a new crown on the barrel, a check of the bedding is all good and well. However, if the bullet is merely banging against the lands of the barrel on its merry ride to the target, there is no trigger job in the world or glass bedding that will tighten groups. Strangely enough, the chamber throat on rifle is tighter than the barrel groove diameter! Subsequently, in order for me to shoot bullets that will engage the rifling, I need to shoot
custom bullets of .318" (+.001" or - .000") minimum diameter, but the throat wont allow chambering of a 7.62x54R cartridge with such a bullet seated in its neck (.341"). Now what? Enter Mike Williamson (tigershark) who is currently cradling my baby in his felt covered safe while it awaits its turn at the machinist's lathe. Meanwhile, I had a custom bullet mould created which will cast a .319" bullet for said rifle. Complicated? Yes. Expensive? Yes, but I want to get this rifle to shoot well. Fun? Absolutely!

reference thread for pics: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=43737&start=15

Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:26 am
Profile WWW

You might just ream the chamber also
Slugging the barrel and matching the bullet diameter to the gun will increase accuracy

(can we assume sporting models might have been exposed to a higher level of quality control?)
No not really

Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:12 am

back to the OPs question these guns have a long trigger pull designed into them. the mosin has one of the harder triggers to modify. polishing the contact points will help and also lighting of the spring will help but anything else requires that the sears be reheat treated. these guns with good bores and a bedding job are very accurite. just look at the finnish rifles. they have a floating bolt head the allows the round to line up with the bore.

thank you

Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:03 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Back from the dead....zombie thread

Mosin love

Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4