Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:59 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Worst lead fouling I've ever seen 

I'm not sure if this is where to post this question so I will try this section. I just picked up a used G35 Gen 3. It has THE WORST lead fouling in the barrel I've ever seen and nothing I've tried will remove it. I've used Hoppe's Elite with great success, on all my other firearms, but it won't budge this fouling and neither will Eliminator. I even put the barrel in my neighbors ultrasonic cleaner for 40 min and that didn't help. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:48 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

redtruck wrote:
I'm not sure if this is where to post this question so I will try this section. I just picked up a used G35 Gen 3. It has THE WORST lead fouling in the barrel I've ever seen and nothing I've tried will remove it. I've used Hoppe's Elite with great success, on all my other firearms, but it won't budge this fouling and neither will Eliminator. I even put the barrel in my neighbors ultrasonic cleaner for 40 min and that didn't help. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Im no expert, but I think you're screwed. Due to the polygonal rifling, you're not supposed to shoot lead through Glock bbls. I think you were had by the previous owner.

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:50 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Buy a Lone Wolf threaded barrel and a suppressor. :bigsmile:

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:52 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've had good luck with Chore Boy copper pads & Hoppes to remove bad fouling in my Ruger 454 Casull. Use a wad of it on the end of your cleaning rod. I have no idea if it'll work on polygonal rifling, but it's worth a try. It certainly can't hurt.

Make sure they're pure copper pads.

Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:57 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You're fine. People shoot lead in Glocks all the time. Go read glocktalk

Lewis Lead Remover works well, and some folks like to use Chore Boys with a brass brush, and vinegar/hydrogen peroxide mixes do well also but keep in mind that concoction will also eat away any bluing. Maybe won't hurt a Glock barrel's finish too badly, though.

*EDIT* delliottg is faster @ typing lol

Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:01 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

New barrel and call it good.

Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Join the NRA
Firearms Policy Coalition

Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:10 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

you could also try some heat to soften it up, loosen the bond

Actor portrayal, Action figures sold separately, You must be at least this tall to ride, Individual results may vary, Sales tax not included, All models are over 18 years of age, upon approval of credit, Quantities are limited while supplies last, Some restrictions apply, Not available with other offers, At participating locations only, Void where prohibited, Above terms subject to change without notice, Patent pending.

See my blog: http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/

Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:10 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

lone wolf is your best, quick remedy. Glocky no likey lead...... and that kind of buildup is not gonna come out with a little "solutution"

Id work it hard with some quality bore brushes (the wire is stiffer and lasts longer) its gonna take a while. May be able to sand blast???

If you dont want to try cleaning it out you can send to me, I love glocks and love a challenge.....and i dont own a 35 so your safe and may get it back

Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:11 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

TINCANBANDIT wrote:
you could also try some heat to soften it up, loosen the bond

:plusone: Lead melts at just over 600 degrees fahrenheit. I cant imagine getting near that point will damage the barrel.

Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:16 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Im not an engineer nor a metallurgist and im assuming the barrels have some temper or hardening and im not sure 600 deg is gonna be good for the barrel but what do i know???

let the metal masters chime in

Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:24 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

toys in the toybox wrote:
Im not an engineer nor a metallurgist and im assuming the barrels have some temper or hardening and im not sure 600 deg is gonna be good for the barrel but what do i know???

let the metal masters chime in

Honestly, I also have no idea. 600 just doesn't seem hot enough to damage the barrel. In my completely uneducated opinion. :bigsmile:

Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

stick a blow torch down it for a few min. brush it out

Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:44 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/archive ... 80429.html

Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:43 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/243419 ... ing-system
I have an older one and these are the best lead removal system I have ever used. You plug the barrel, insert rod with O-rings, fill with solvent and attach wire to the barrel and the other to the rod, plug it in and the lead is electromagnetically drawn from the barrel to the rod. takes a little time but it will remove every molecule of lead.

Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:56 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I periodically clean lead fouling from my competition revolvers as I shoot almost exclusively cast lead bullets. My technique is either a Lewis Lead Remover or, a cheaper alternative, to take a cleaning rod and bronze brush, insert from muzzle end through to chamber, wrap bronze wool (or fragments of Chore Boy pad) around the brush, then pull back to force through barrel. These are mechanical methods of lead removal and take some elbow grease though effective.

The other method you could opt for is chemical removal. I saw one of the other posters recommended the Outers system though this is discontinued and no longer available in retail channels from what I've seen. A last ditch alternative is The Dip (hydrogen peroxide & vinegar solution). I would research this before trying it if I were you. The dip will chemically remove lead from the bore (or suppressors) but results in a nasty lead acetate solution that can absorb into your bloodstream directly through your skin. Take proper precautions. You could always store the end solution in a glass container, label it, and take it to the Hawks Prairie HazoHouse in Lacey for disposal.

One final note. To minimize my risk of lead ingestion after any lead handling (gun cleaning, reloading sessions) have recently started using D-Lead Abrasive Hand Soap by Esca Tech. Keep it by my garage sink. I also keep smaller bottles in my range bag and wipe up after range sessions.
https://www.esca-tech.com/

Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:52 am
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next