Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:12 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Removing AR 15 barrel nut without a wrench? 

I'm trying to install a free float hand guard on my AR15 but I don't really want to buy a barrel nut wrench to remove the barrel nut that I am never going to use again. Should I go to a gunsmith or is there anyway to do this without buying a special wrench? The hand guard I bought came with a new barrel nut.

Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:26 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to WAGUNS.

Either get or borrow a wrench or take it to a smith. It's not that much money and you can mess up your rifle if you try to fake it. Really. Don't ask how I know. If you were closer you could borrow my wrench. Maybe somebody from the great white north can loan you one.

Good Luck

So, when does that "Old enough to know better" shit kick in???
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:48 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

i have a wrench you can borrow

Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:56 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You need a wrench, but more than just a wrench; you also need a way to hold the upper receiver. Do not just clamp it in a bench vise.

Gunsmithing requires tools; if you don't want to buy them, you'd be better off taking it to someone who has the tools already.

Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:59 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If one is damn careful they can cut the ring off with a die grinder then just remove nut with a pipe wrench. Had to do this when the cheap-assed wrench ended up stripping the teeth off the nut so no wrench would ever work again. I ended up making my cuts with the die grinder on the diagonal times two. Then just broke off the ring. Caution and patience are virtues if going about it this way. To hold the barrel I just took two pieces of oak, clamped them together and used a hole saw just slightly under barrel diameter and cut a hole along the joining surface. When unclamped they fit the barrel pretty snug and when clamped back in the vise with the barrel nestled in the channel nothing went anywhere.

Having the proper tools is the absolute right way but lots of work get's done quite well without them if one is patient and cautious as well as clever.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:01 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

oh right, i also have the plastic blocks to clamp the upper....all you need is a vise.

Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:34 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

deadshot2 wrote:
If one is damn careful they can cut the ring off with a die grinder then just remove nut with a pipe wrench. Had to do this when the cheap-assed wrench ended up stripping the teeth off the nut so no wrench would ever work again. I ended up making my cuts with the die grinder on the diagonal times two. Then just broke off the ring. Caution and patience are virtues if going about it this way. To hold the barrel I just took two pieces of oak, clamped them together and used a hole saw just slightly under barrel diameter and cut a hole along the joining surface. When unclamped they fit the barrel pretty snug and when clamped back in the vise with the barrel nestled in the channel nothing went anywhere.

Having the proper tools is the absolute right way but lots of work get's done quite well without them if one is patient and cautious as well as clever.

He'd still need a wrench to install the new barrel nut.

Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:09 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm in South Everett/North Lynnwood if you want to bring your stuff over and we can swap the nut out.

Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:21 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm in SE Everett, my neighbors are in mill creek. I have everything you need if you want to swing by. I'm only home on the weekends now though, so some of these other fellows might be better for you.

Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:15 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pm me if you need the tools or want to swing by to get it done. I am super close to mill creek.

Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]