Switch to full style
How to's, DIY's and helpful hints and tricks. Ask any questions you may have too.
Post a reply

Local place to get steel to make plates/targets?

Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:24 pm

Looking to starting plinking steel and build some stands. Are there any places (Pierce co. or South King) that sell and cut?
Reading online it looks like everyone is using the AR500 type steel.

Thanks

J

Re: Local place to get steel to make plates/targets?

Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:32 pm

Welcome to the Forum! :thumbsup2:

How about Walla Walla?

He ships, though I'm sure the sale is over:

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=54273&hilit=AR500+stand

Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:40 pm

There are any number of stands available, but you may want to check these guys out for targets too. They aren't that far from you and it's a good cause as well.
http://www.jcsteeltargets.com/

Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:42 pm

JC targets is a good suggestion if you want a ready made target.

If you want to do it yourself you could try Interwest Metals down in Fife. I know I've seen AR400 plate in the yard...

Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:38 pm

Can use a thicker standard steel for 22 and most handgun calibers, no need for expensive AR500

most gun shops carry various AR500 plates, no one seems much cheaper than the next guy so give your favorite some business

If ya want a durable stand on the cheap and easy Ive made a few and can help ya out if ya like

Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:17 am

Also stop by I5 guns in Lacey for a big variety of plates.

Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:42 am

I ordered mine from this place:

https://shootingtargets7.com/

I got 5 8" gongs and they threw in a 4" for free. They've held up well

For stands I welded up some rebar that was left over on a jobsite. I was going to make bases for them but pounding them straight into the ground has been working fine

Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:10 am

Wow thanks for the replies and suggestions. I've seen a variety of stand styles online and most of which I could build.
I'll check out these couple sites and see what they have.

I think the majority of what I'm after is for handgun (dueling plate tree, etc.) or .22 LR.

Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:19 am

If you can build one... might be a few here interested in sharing the costs.

AR 500 isn’t easy to work with but I hope you know that. It’s not cheap either.

There are ways to get some work done but it ain’t cheap. Best to buy off the shelf from those listed above.

Do you have a design?

Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:28 pm

I have some 1/2" hardox that I'm thinking of getting rid of if your interested

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:20 pm

jman308 wrote:Wow thanks for the replies and suggestions. I've seen a variety of stand styles online and most of which I could build.
I'll check out these couple sites and see what they have.

I think the majority of what I'm after is for handgun (dueling plate tree, etc.) or .22 LR.

If you can process it yourself, most fabrication shops should be able to get you a sheet of AR500. I split a sheet with a co-worker last year; we got it at cost through a relative of his that worked in a fab shop. It cost us $500 for the 4'x8' sheet of 3/8" AR500, so for $250 each we both ended up with more target steel than we know what to do with.

For that kind of deal you probably want to split it with a couple other guys, but then the price ends up very reasonable, much cheaper than buying targets if you're willing to do the work. (and it is a fair amount of work, even with a plasma cutter like we used.)

Be a little careful about just using cheap mild steel for handgun calibers - it's fine for 22lr, but will pit and dent with some of the faster handgun rounds. (High velocity is what kills steel, not bullet weight or power; a heavy 44 mag at 1200 fps won't divot steel as badly as say a light 357 Sig at 1700 fps.) For safety, the goal is to have steel that doesn't get deep dents or divots that can direct bullet fragments back at you. 3/8" AR500 is a bit overkill for that, but there are still other reasonably cheap options that are better than mild steel. 1/4" AR400 for example would do what you need and would last pretty much forever even with some of the magnum handgun rounds.

Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:30 pm

You have western steel in Fife they do get armor plate from time to time.

Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:30 pm

I just get scrap plate from my local steel yard. I weld a chain to it an hang it when it gets too bent I turn it around and bend it the other way. As long as the plate can swing you do not have to worry about a ricochet. I also get circle cut outs and weld a section of pipe to them and mount them on a stake made out of scrap galvanized pipe.

Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:01 am

Interwest Metals next to Destination Harley carries AR400.

BLACK HAMMER ARMS
Type 07 Class 2 NFA Dealer
http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms
GLOCK Certified Armourer
Post a reply