Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:34 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Beginner AR lower assembly tips 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just wanted to start a thread seeing how the popularity of stripped lowers might increase. Later today I will post links and such with alternative methods of assembly, pictures and videos. Probably best for the beginner to watch a couple videos to see how easy it is, yet a couple paths could end up with scratches and marrs at best, a ruined lower worst case.

First should be covering the lower with painters tape. Cheap. Easy.
Next but not required is holder that essentially duplicates a magazine. Then this tool goes in a vise. Use after installing mag release. Basically gives you a third hand and very safely holds your lower.
Starter roll pin punches, good set. The squirrel daddy brand are ok but not near deep enough. You will later see how handy these are for the pesky roll pins.
Set of Knipex pliers. All you need to press in roll pins, once they are started. No risk of hammer damage
An extra trigger pin or two. Really nice for alignment of the opposite side when sliding in the first trigger pin with sear in the middle, and also the pesky hammer pin under some tension.
Using a clevis pin to install the pivot pin

More to come....

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:27 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The only tool I used for assembling a lower is pliers with electrical tape on the tips. Well that and the wrench for the buffer tube.

Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:58 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

os2firefox wrote:
The only tool I used for assembling a lower is pliers with electrical tape on the tips. Well that and the wrench for the buffer tube.

Of this I have no doubt. Add a hammer and a punch, and my first two the same thing. Just want to make it Cadillac easy

Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:02 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I built my last with a pair of the Knipex pliers (the most expensive pliers you'll never regret buying), a set of Squirrel Daddy punches and a plastic headed mallet as well as the requisite painters tape. There's a tiny marring next to the bolt catch assembly, which was totally my fault, but you need to know where to look to see it. To be fair, I had to have the buffer tube tightened up after the fact because I don't own an AR-15 wrench. However, you could do that yourself too with a mallet & a suitably shaped piece of hard plastic or wood to drive it around the tube.

Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:34 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you're really nervous about it, Aero makes the enhanced M4E1 lowers with threaded bolt catch/release pins. Just takes a small allen wrench. No fuss no muss.

If you go with a billet lower or one of the Aero M4E1 enhanced lowers you will also save yourself the trouble of installing one of the unsightly milspec trigger guards that come in most lower parts kits.

I know we're talking about lower receivers right now but one product I've really come to like for installing on stripped upper receivers are the Strike Industries enhanced dust covers. They look cool and you don't have to fuss with driving the hinge pin all through it. The SI dust covers install kind of like a toilet paper roll holder. you just compress the pins on each end and let them pop into the intended holes on the upper receiver. They're a pretty slick set up.

Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:18 pm

1/4" diameter clevis pin and small pin punch. Use the clevis pin to aid in installing the front pivot/takedown pin, spring, and detent.

https://youtu.be/Nn9NWHQsPjc

Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:24 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

old11bravo wrote:
If you're really nervous about it, Aero makes the enhanced M4E1 lowers with threaded bolt catch/release pins. Just takes a small allen wrench. No fuss no muss.

If you go with a billet lower or one of the Aero M4E1 enhanced lowers you will also save yourself the trouble of installing one of the unsightly milspec trigger guards that come in most lower parts kits.

I know we're talking about lower receivers right now but one product I've really come to like for installing on stripped upper receivers are the Strike Industries enhanced dust covers. They look cool and you don't have to fuss with driving the hinge pin all through it. The SI dust covers install kind of like a toilet paper roll holder. you just compress the pins on each end and let them pop into the intended holes on the upper receiver. They're a pretty slick set up.

Cool!

One of the two lowers I won in the 1639 raffle (hey I donated $500) - has the small socket head screw.......funny when I first opened the box and glanced at it, I thought some clown drove the pin in prematurely. :rofl9: :ROFLMAO: icon_eek

I have that dust cover on my 10mm upper.

Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:44 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

waglocker wrote:
1/4" diameter clevis pin and small pin punch. Use the clevis pin to aid in installing the front pivot/takedown pin, spring, and detent.

https://youtu.be/Nn9NWHQsPjc

That's the only way I know. Never tried the razor blade method, both have to be better than some finger foolery.

Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:46 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here are a couple three video, some stuff in loony - some over the top

Taped pliers, works, but:

Using a punch to guide, basically the same as using and extra pin:

Really curious what Larry is going to tap:

Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:50 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Decent pictures:

http://www.thenewrifleman.com/how-to-bu ... -receiver/

Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:51 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bolt catch installation For those of you with access to a drill press.
Clamp your receiver into a vice. And press the pin into the receiver.
Do not turn on the spindle/drill ! Your only using the machine as a press.
.Image
.Image
.Image

Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:57 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interesting! Beats rigging a chuck to my 20 ton press!

Hope someone is getting value out of this info. I don't put grease on those springs and I don't tap the grip screw hole!

Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:38 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

delliottg wrote:
I built my last with a pair of the Knipex pliers (the most expensive pliers you'll never regret buying), a set of Squirrel Daddy punches and a plastic headed mallet as well as the requisite painters tape. There's a tiny marring next to the bolt catch assembly, which was totally my fault, but you need to know where to look to see it. To be fair, I had to have the buffer tube tightened up after the fact because I don't own an AR-15 wrench. However, you could do that yourself too with a mallet & a suitably shaped piece of hard plastic or wood to drive it around the tube.

Truth right there. I've seen shops do it with a vice but you have better control with the pliers IMHO.

Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Join the NRA
Firearms Policy Coalition

Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:01 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

os2firefox wrote:

Before you start tapping in that bolt catch retaining pin put some electrical tape on the side of the lower where you're hammering to protect the Finish. :wink05:

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:

Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Caveman Jim wrote:
os2firefox wrote:

Before you start tapping in that bolt catch retaining pin put some electrical tape on the side of the lower where you're hammering to protect the Finish. :wink05:

I tap the pin gently with the taped up tips on the pliers to get it started then just squeeze them in.

Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next