Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:10 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Local LEA contact? 
FFL / Dealer

Hi all, I just recently got my FFL here in Washington state and have some friends who want to do some pistol transfers. However, I can't seem to find a way to locate their local LEA information to send the Pistol Transfer Application to. Is there a database somewhere that lists these? I found one for King County but none for any other counties. Is there any better way than to contact every single agency one by one?

Specifically, I have a friend who wants me to receive a gun for him that lives in Bonney Lake (city not county) but I'm not sure if BLPD wants the form by e-mail, fax, etc. and can't locate that info online. And of course being a weekend I can't get in touch directly yet.

Thanks!

Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:48 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum!

Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:43 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to WaGuns

Seems you have lots of questions about your FFL.
First I would clarify you as a FFL 01 - selling etc of firearms. There is a FFL 03 Curio/Relics but that only covers buying old firearms (not selling as a business).

Let’s break it down
It’s all about paperwork to cover your ass. Make sure you have a system as it’s easier to do it right the first time and historically make it easier to find records. Remember you need to keep records for 7-14 years (I forget). Basically, the rest of your life…

Now let’s be clear what you are asking…

1) where do you submit the background check to local LEO (LEA - Law Enforcement Agency). Since you are the FFL it’s your local police agency be it City or county. You basically have to wait until Monday to get things worked out as to which specific person/Dept you send things to.

Then you send the transfer form to the state once they take it (Gun).
Pistol Transfer Applications (PTA):
Department of Licensing Firearms Section
PO Box 9649
Olympia, WA 98507-9649

Mailing to you. Most places want firearms mailed via a FFL from origin to destination. You are the destination. Why? It tracks and keeps everyone legal. It’s traceable. You have a known as the receiving. You can certainly have firearms mailed to you but it leaves it messy especially when most people don’t do the necessary pre and post follow up. - means you get a firearm and if you didn’t know who and what it makes you do research to find out who and what until someone comes to collect it and then you have to go find it etc etc.

This is why most want to have a FFL as most of the info is already done and then you just do your end and transfer the gun to new owner.

FFL database
Yes there are many versions. Some online stores will list you as a FFL so folks can find you. But ATF has a database.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/listing-fe ... -licensees

You as the FFL will have to determine how your customers should send firearms to you. Be it from the home to you or via a FFL or if they bought online and are wanting it sent to you - you need to supply them with your FFL license or have them give you what company and you send your FFL license so they can mail it to you. Again it all goes to your comfort level. Most folks don’t just give you a copy of their FFL (especially) a home FFL as it list your address and name.

Since you are a new branded FFL. I would say take some time to do some research on the paperwork and who you need to contact (local LEA). Who you send paperwork etc and how you are tracking it be it by hand or electronic. It all becomes a way to track and pull up that info if you ever come under review (inventory etc).

Here’s some basic info with the new laws that kicked in 2019.
http://www.davessports.com/shooting/new ... -1st-2019/

Disclaimer- I am not an FFL 01.
I have done some research (like 20 years ago and off and on every 3-5 years). I would strongly recommend you do some More research in regards to what you are comfortable with and that match your goals as a business.

Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:12 am
FFL / Dealer

I appreciate the info! I have done quite a bit of legwork on paperwork management, taxes, etc., and feel very good about my systems there. I have also made numerous sales of "Others" (receivers and shotguns) that are not at all problematic, and have done transfers in King County. The latter were pretty easy because before I even received my FFL, I had found a list of fax numbers for local agencies to send the pistol transfers to. However, Pierce County is problematic as I haven't found any such resource. I figured with this being the preeminent forum for the area, if one existed, someone here would know. :) If I have to call a person's local PD every time then it is what it is. But if I had a resource to work from, that would be easiest of course, particularly due to the time requirements.

Thanks again!

Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:24 pm
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

Welcome to the forum. Perhaps I can lend a hand here:

I will go into this with the assumption that you are truly brand new and completely unfamiliar with POC rules and I-1639. Please do not be insulted if I repeat what you already know. No doubt I will miss some items. Hopefully Dreadi will be along to help my poor memory!

#1. Make sure you get on the WA State Firearms Licensing mailing list, get signed up with SAW, and take their incredibly outdated training- Its nearly 9 years out of date...beware.

#2. There is a fax/ email list of POC contacts that I can email you (PM your address to me, plz.). To save time for now, you will use South Sound 911 for all state POC functions for Pierce county residents- city doesn't matter.

#3. You say you are a new Washington FFL. Technically, you are a Federal Firearms License holder, and a WA state firearms dealer, not FFL. The state does not issue an FFL. They issue a Dealer License- which you should be able to look at and verify.

#4. Familiarize yourself with the meaning and differences in federal functions vs. state POC functions. This will impact even your federal 4473 forms and how you complete them.

#5. Find the forum named FFL's Only and sign up. It's full of sarcasm and poking fun, BUT it is one of the best sources of information for an FFL, and there is a New Dealers Area which is helpful.

#6. Make sure you have a WA DOR account and get ready to have some real fun with your state taxes. You will need to understand the differences between use tax, business and occupation tax, and sales tax. I have an Excel spreadsheet which a DOR auditor gave me, and I have shared with Dreadi. Once again, I can help you by emailing a redacted version to you.

#7. Decide if you are happy doing transfers mainly, or if you want to get into e-commerce. This will impact how you set up your business.

#8. Feel free to ask me questions via email in the future. I sure could have used some help in the beginning.

Best of Luck!

Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:38 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

3584ELK wrote:
Welcome to the forum. Perhaps I can lend a hand here....

:bow:

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]