Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:15 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Are newspapers driving 2A readers away? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This requires a bit of thought.
Give it a read and share your conclusions.

Newspapers Lament Layoffs, But Have They ‘Fired’ Readers Over 2A?
:bringit:
In a remarkable development in journalism, members of the Denver Post staff are in “open revolt” against the newspaper’s owners, according to the New York Times, with newspaper economics and circulation loss at least part of the equation.

http://libertyparkpress.com/newspapers- ... s-over-2a/

Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:07 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Every newspaper, EVER, has been used as a political weapon by the owner(s) of the paper. It's pretty clear throughout history that newspapers would rather go out of business than change that model.

Newspapers have been largely leftist ever since having a college degree became a prerequisite to a paid job that puts words on paper.

With that said, are they really going to blame their stance on the 2nd for declining circulation? We get a Sunday for the coupons and my girls like the comics...and that's about it. I'm in my 40s and I think of all the roles the paper served that are now 100% in the realm of the Internet. Movie times, classifieds, sports scores, upcoming elections, etc.

Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:44 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

hkcavalier wrote:
Newspapers have been largely leftist ever since having a college degree became a prerequisite to a paid job that puts words on paper.

Excellent point. I'd sure like to see more colleges and universities be shifted away from the anti-2A condition.

hkcavalier wrote:
With that said, are they really going to blame their stance on the 2nd for declining circulation? We get a Sunday for the coupons and my girls like the comics...and that's about it. I'm in my 40s and I think of all the roles the paper served that are now 100% in the realm of the Internet. Movie times, classifieds, sports scores, upcoming elections, etc.

Hmm... I used to love reading the papers. I'd get The Oregonian and WSJ, 7 days a week.
WSJ is still very well written and edited, but the main Portland and Oregon rag has turned into just that. Absolute SHIT for skilled writers, and more silly fluff and cutbacks in every area that I cared about.
When the vast majority of the decent articles come from national syndicates, why buy the rest of the rag? I was forced out of reading the local paper because of their lack of quality. Fuck 'em. I miss the good old days, but I'm not going to try to pretend that they're still here.

Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:54 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I guess they forgot that boycotts cut both ways........

Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:44 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had subscribed to the Tacoma News Tribune for 20+ years. Before this last election cycle, they started going even more leftist-liberal than previously.

(I'm aware the Seattle paper is even worse.)

Then on Aug 22, 2017, they printed an editorial cartoon that was deeply offensive, and over the top for me. I cancelled the next day. Ever since, they call quarterly, begging me to re-up. I have talked to many that was offended by the same cartoon, and cancelled as well. Other friends had cancelled years prior. I think it is funny that Seattle and Tacoma has combined the subscription office, in an effort to cut costs. They just don't have a clue why people are leaving.

Due to my hearing disability, it hurts not to read about the local news. Unlike the rest of you, radio, or TV is not an option.

From a blog: Political Correctness - the belief that one can pick up a turd by the clean end.

Benjamin Franklin: It is the (civic) responsibility of every citizen to question authority.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:02 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]