Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:53 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Fatal Cougar Attack near NB: Do you pack in the woods? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Glock 29

Sun May 20, 2018 3:15 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

viewtopic.php?uid=3202&f=33&t=91057&start=0

Not always do I pack.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Sun May 20, 2018 4:27 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

UpDog wrote:
Nope, still not carrying. Guns are extra weight and make you dress a certain way.

Incredibly rare to encounter wildlife (apart from the retarded ones) on a hike unless you are legit bush whacking or deep in the boonies where you don’t belong - that’s that crazy white people shit.

Also incredibly rare to get to the point of attack. You gotta be clueless AF to miss the danger signs, most animals are not looking for a fight.

Sooo much fallacy in this statement...

It is not incredibly rare to encounter wildlife when hiking in the woods, and actually why lots of people (myself included) go into the woods in the first place. And as far as being "deep in the boonies" just where do I belong? I'm thinking I likely go deep in the boonies to get away from clueless urban/city dorks that are the real "retarded" ones.

You've obviously never hiked or packed in to a remote hunting camp or been on an extended backpacking trip.

Wa state has Cougar, Bobcat, Wolves, Black Bear, Grizzly Bear, Coyote, Elk and Moose. All of which will either avoid you, look at you as a potential meal or just make your life miserable because they're having a bad day or feeling threatened.

A friends daughter was attacked by a Cougar while I lived in the Chewelah area back in the early 90's, she was just walking down a trail in a well established campsite. about 20 feet ahead of her parents. She lived...but the emotional trauma has never left her.

So "clueless as fuck" is misapplied in your post...that would be you.

Armed in the woods? Absofuckinglutely...but then not just in the woods. Because...animals, 4 legged or 2 legged are everywhere.

-- Travis A Kisner

Sun May 20, 2018 7:06 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

foothills wrote:
UpDog wrote:
Nope, still not carrying. Guns are extra weight and make you dress a certain way.

Incredibly rare to encounter wildlife (apart from the retarded ones) on a hike unless you are legit bush whacking or deep in the boonies where you don’t belong - that’s that crazy white people shit.

Also incredibly rare to get to the point of attack. You gotta be clueless AF to miss the danger signs, most animals are not looking for a fight.

Sooo much fallacy in this statement...

It is not incredibly rare to encounter wildlife when hiking in the woods, and actually why lots of people (myself included) go into the woods in the first place. And as far as being "deep in the boonies" just where do I belong? I'm thinking I likely go deep in the boonies to get away from clueless urban/city dorks that are the real "retarded" ones.

You've obviously never hiked or packed in to a remote hunting camp or been on an extended backpacking trip.

Wa state has Cougar, Bobcat, Wolves, Black Bear, Grizzly Bear, Coyote, Elk and Moose. All of which will either avoid you, look at you as a potential meal or just make your life miserable because they're having a bad day or feeling threatened.

A friends daughter was attacked by a Cougar while I lived in the Chewelah area back in the early 90's, she was just walking down a trail in a well established campsite. about 20 feet ahead of her parents. She lived...but the emotional trauma has never left her.

So "clueless as fuck" is misapplied in your post...that would be you.

Armed in the woods? Absofuckinglutely...but then not just in the woods. Because...animals, 4 legged or 2 legged are everywhere.

Yup, I've awoken to bear tracks all around my tent... on another occasion the bear was outside of my tent pawing through my (empty) back pack. When he was finished I had to wipe his snot out of/off of it (ew).... while walking down one trail was nearly run over by baby bear running to mom icon_eek as I nearly cut between them... not a comfortable position.... have had to stop dead in my tracks as I was coming up behind a Griz in Jellystone. Fortunately I was up wind and he was walking the same direction so he had his back to me.

Been on one side of a bush when a rutting elk let loose a bugle from the other side of the bush! I had to find and retie my boots as I had jumped out of them.

Parked the truck one day in a meadow in the Tetons... the (ex) wife climbed in the back and started rummaging around in the packs to get some lunch together... I walked about 20 yards away and then turned back around to see a young moose standing between me and the truck... we all stared at each other for a minute and he finally ambled on his way....

Was hiking along the Quinault and walked a few yards off the trail to eat my PB 'n J sammie... while sitting there a bear came shuffling down the hill behind me, rooting through rotten logs looking for PB n' J sammies. Again, the wind must have been favorable for despite his near proxiity he kept walking. When he was finally on the other side of a fallen tree on the opposite side of the trail, I made my slow exit trail-left.

One time sitting by a fire and leaning against some rocks that nature had arranged as if a low rock hedge or fence.... a mouse or some small critter ran along the dge of the rockery and right up and over my bald head and continued along. I felt all four soft little feet as they made traction on my scalp!

Was in Yosimite the same time that a murderer had killed someone and then (they suspected) had dissappeared into the park. Rangers on high alert and I was glad I was packing.

There's more to tell, but encountering wildlife where they live is quite common. And traveling off trail is the best way to travel. Trails are for getting to the place where you can jump off from them to find real wilderness.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Sun May 20, 2018 8:05 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As a major added benefit, open carrying while hiking freaks out of the REI crowd.

Sun May 20, 2018 8:34 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jukk0u wrote:
wildlife where they live is quite common. And traveling off trail is the best way to travel. Trails are for getting to the place where you can jump off from them to find real wilderness.

Exactly...and it's kinda surprising how often you run into other people, deep in the Boonies.

ETA...a little Cat perspective, this photo was taken in the late 1980's in the Tacoma Watershed by one of the watershed patrolman. It was taken less than a mile from a timber setting we were cutting. It was taken while we were working.

Looks like a deer kill, at this time the "Gamies" had over 20 known cats wearing radio collars. None of these are collared. Makes a guy wonder how many are actually roaming.

https://imgur.com/a/qFARWRy

-- Travis A Kisner

Sun May 20, 2018 8:58 am

I harvested a small pest back bear one night with a shovel because in my hurry to make it to a log with lantern, TP and shovel I left my revolver in the mine shack. Damned right I carry in the woods and the heavier the caliber the better.

Sun May 20, 2018 2:02 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There are "wild animals" at walmart... always carry when you legallt can.

Sun May 20, 2018 5:00 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

2 legged animals are far more of a problem than 4 legged ones. Always carry.

Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Join the NRA
Firearms Policy Coalition

Sun May 20, 2018 5:21 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

foothills wrote:

Looks like a deer kill, at this time the "Gamies" had over 20 known cats wearing radio collars. None of these are collared. Makes a guy wonder how many are actually roaming.

https://imgur.com/a/qFARWRy

My suspicion is that there are quite a few more. Ditto wolves. But that's just a suspicion.

Sun May 20, 2018 7:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

UpDog wrote:

Guns "make you dress a certain way?" How do they do that? They aim themselves at your head or dingus and threaten you?

One might suggest you gotta be clueless AF to believe that wild animals, particularly the predators, will give any warning at all.

Sun May 20, 2018 7:14 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dave Workman wrote:
UpDog wrote:

Guns "make you dress a certain way?" How do they do that? They aim themselves at your head or dingus and threaten you?

One might suggest you gotta be clueless AF to believe that wild animals, particularly the predators, will give any warning at all.

You have to look fabulous tacti cool with $3000 worth of 5.11 gear to not look like a red neck. Is that it?

Sun May 20, 2018 8:19 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jorgeu wrote:
Dave Workman wrote:
UpDog wrote:

You have to look fabulous tacti cool with $3000 worth of 5.11 gear to not look like a red neck. Is that it?

Now it can be $2400 worth of gear.

5.11 got that 20% off sitewide sale with code:

https://www.reddit.com/r/gundeals/comme ... site_code/

Mon May 21, 2018 10:13 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It’s all about odds.

One can argue the finer points.
Legal Carry for whatever reason or not. You are the one playing the odds. Either for or against you. You have to pack it in and carry the extra weight and burden.

For me that has always been an easy equation and answer.

Mon May 21, 2018 1:18 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Carry in the back woods.

It's the right thing to do.

The only thing dumber than not carrying in the back woods, is not carrying in a gun free zone.

Either place is dangerous if you are unarmed.

Don't be a dead dumb ass.

Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Give a man a fishing pole, and he will drink too much beer, get tangled in fish line, hook himself in the nose casting, fall overboard, and either drown, or, go home hungry and wet. Give a man a case of dynamite, and he will feed the whole town for a year!

BE ON NOTICE:
PRIVACY NOTICE: Warning - any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/or the comments made about my photos or any other "picture" art posted on my profile.

You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee, agent, student or any personnel under your direction or control.

The contents of this profile are PRIVATE and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law. UCC 1-103 1-308 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED WITHOUT PREJUDICE

Mon May 21, 2018 4:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next