Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:53 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Fatal Cougar Attack near NB: Do you pack in the woods? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fatal cougar attack north of North Bend. One dead, one injured.

Are you packing, or slacking?

Sat May 19, 2018 4:52 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nope, still not carrying. Guns are extra weight and make you dress a certain way.

Incredibly rare to encounter wildlife (apart from the retarded ones) on a hike unless you are legit bush whacking or deep in the boonies where you don’t belong - that’s that crazy white people shit.

Also incredibly rare to get to the point of attack. You gotta be clueless AF to miss the danger signs, most animals are not looking for a fight.

Sat May 19, 2018 5:44 pm

I pack in the woods. Depending on which pack I am wearing, at a minimum it is in an outside pocket of the pack. If at all possible it is on my person, but with some packs under load it just doesn't work with my usual side carry. I have been considering a chest holster.

Relating to this incident, I am guessing that the cougar was in search of prey or actively stalking prey, and the guys riding by on the bicycles triggered it's running prey response.

Sat May 19, 2018 5:54 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

UpDog wrote:
Nope, still not carrying. Guns are extra weight and make you dress a certain way.

Incredibly rare to encounter wildlife (apart from the retarded ones) on a hike unless you are legit bush whacking or deep in the boonies where you don’t belong - that’s that crazy white people shit.

Also incredibly rare to get to the point of attack. You gotta be clueless AF to miss the danger signs, most animals are not looking for a fight.

Cougars don't give no signs. Cougars are not "most animals".

Sat May 19, 2018 6:48 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

quantsuff wrote:
UpDog wrote:

Yup exactly. Hard to see something that stalks silently from behind.

Sat May 19, 2018 6:54 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

L_O_G wrote:
quantsuff wrote:
UpDog wrote:

Yup exactly. Hard to see something that stalks silently from behind.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/dea ... e-55298576

“In the last 100 years in North America, roughly 25 fatalities and 95 nonfatal cougar attacks have been reported, the Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife said, but there was only one other fatal attack in the state. However, more attacks have been reported in the western United States and Canada over the past 20 years than in the previous 80 years.”

Quite the stalking (silent) epidemic we got going on here.

Sat May 19, 2018 7:03 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You said you had to be clueless AF to not see the warning signs of a Cougar which is completely comical.. Since you seem to be the Waguns cougar expert, you should know that they generally don't attack from the front. So yes, stalking from behind is generally the way they kill unless cornered or startled.

Sat May 19, 2018 7:19 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cool, so regardless of weaponry, you will be deaded if attacked (from behind). Good luck fighting 140lb of savage kill mode.

Sat May 19, 2018 8:00 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

UpDog wrote:
Cool, so regardless of weaponry, you will be deaded if attacked (from behind). Good luck fighting 140lb of savage kill mode.

If you had a Pistol on your Hip at least you would have a Chance.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sat May 19, 2018 8:02 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I carry, but for different reasons. I generally don’t trust people and feel naked without a sidearm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sat May 19, 2018 8:26 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cougars and bobcats have been way more aggressive these days in my area. I have been stalked out walking and even spooked one with the dogs last year. Scared the shit out of me because I take my kids to that area all the time. They even have signs up now all area little mountain warning people to watch their kids.

One of these days I’m going to buy a damn Kenai. Hiking biking it does it all.

Which is the better: a good friend, a good heart, a good eye, a good neighbor, a good wife, or the understanding of consequences? It is none of these. A warm and senitive soul which knows the worth of fellowship and the price of the individual dignity, this is best.

Sat May 19, 2018 8:41 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Absolutely - I always carry while hiking. Not for just for wild animals. I was about two seconds away from putting a pitbull down a lady couldn't control that was trying to attack my wife and our dog.

Sat May 19, 2018 10:01 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Always carry at least a S&W M&P .45C when in the woods.

Buddy and I were talking about going on a leopard hunt, until I found out that they hid in trees and jumped down upon their prey at night.

Sat May 19, 2018 10:04 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mr. Q wrote:
I carry, but for different reasons. I generally don’t trust people and feel naked without a sidearm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 Why break a good habit just because I'm in the wilderness?

wilmermj wrote:
Cougars and bobcats have been way more aggressive these days in my area. I have been stalked out walking and even spooked one with the dogs last year. Scared the shit out of me because I take my kids to that area all the time. They even have signs up now all area little mountain warning people to watch their kids.

One of these days I’m going to buy a damn Kenai. Hiking biking it does it all.

Yeah I wouldn't want my kids to see what you do to them stalking cougars either Matt, let's keep this show rated PG.

Sat May 19, 2018 11:14 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don’t step foot into the woods for much more than a piss without some level of Magnum, either .357 or the preferable .44.

Growing up in Alaska, you were branded a fool to not have a sidearm.

Sun May 20, 2018 1:51 am
Reply to topic   [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next