Site Supporter
Site Supporter

THIS messasge from an e-mail group

FYI for residents of Kirkland.

--------------------
Hello all,

The City of Kirkland is holding a Town Hall on gun safety and community
safety on Wednesday, June 20th (see attached). They are also going to
have some focus group meetings (more below).

I spoke up at the Kirkland Alliance of Neighborhoods meeting when this
topic came up. As a result, I have been providing some feedback to city
staff on communications and have been asked to try to recruit some owners
of firearms to attend one of the focus groups. I am contacting you through
my Boy Scout and Hunter Education contacts. Despite my many contacts with
these two groups, there are only a few that live in Kirkland. A
description and times for the focus groups are listed below.

Please contact me if you or someone you know would be interested. Please
feel free to pass this information on to other firearms owners that might
be willing to participate.

The city staff appears to be trying to reach out to owners of firearms to
listen to their thoughts and concerns. A report will be made to the City
Council in mid-July.

Thanks,

Johanna Palmer

425-823-1385 (h)

425-922-6888 (c)

*Here are the date/times for focus groups:*

Monday 6/25 @ 6:30-8pm

Wednesday 6/27 @ 6:30-8pm

Friday 6/29 @ 6:30-8pm

All of the above would occur at City Hall in the Houghton Room (accessible
from the front/main entrance). And for further context, these won't be
recorded. Staff will be taking notes and will ask for written feedback, all
of which will be anonymous (we will be noting *what* was said, but not
*who* said
it).

6-10 people (for these, we specifically are looking to hear from owners of
firearms)

As a prompt: we are seeking input from the community on methods of
promoting safe and responsible gun ownership at the state and local level
in order to reduce mass shootings, homicides, suicides and accidental
shootings. What might the City do in support of these goals?

We're reaching out to other community leaders for additional recruiting
support, as well as gun clubs and other groups.

Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:17 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I called Johanna Palmer and left a message regarding my intent to attend the Monday focus group meeting.
Thanks for sharing, Dave.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I’m not a citizen (green card holder) but I live in kirkland would I be allowed to join?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Only way to find out is to call her.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

FJB

Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:26 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Quote:
As a prompt: we are seeking input from the community on methods of
promoting safe and responsible gun ownership at the state and local level
in order to reduce mass shootings, homicides, suicides and accidental
shootings. What might the City do in support of these goals?

1.) Move the meeting to Tumwater.
2.) Talk to the locals there about the CPL's role in effective crime deterrence.
3.) Invite the perps to talk about their feelings about moving to Tumwater anytime soon.
4.) Close all gun-free zones.
5.) Educate, educate, educate the benefits of concealed carry by upstanding citizens.

:wagwoot:

NRA Range Safety Officer
NSSF Member
SAF Defender's Club - Life member
US Navy - 1976-1982

Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I talked to Johanna on the phone and she said she’s having a hard time finding firearm owners for this.

Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:05 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MyNameIs940 wrote:
I talked to Johanna on the phone and she said she’s having a hard time finding firearm owners for this.

I assume you asked if you could attend? Are you planning to do so? What day?
I will be going to the Monday meeting.

FJB

Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:28 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jukk0u wrote:
MyNameIs940 wrote:

I assume you asked if you could attend? Are you planning to do so? What day?
I will be going to the Monday meeting.

Yeah she said they said it was only kirkland residence nothing about anything else. I’m not allowed to vote which is why I was wondering if I can still talk at such a thing. I told her I’m open to whichever day would be best for me to be there, she said she’s having a hard time finding people so I’m not sure if it’s going to be all 3 days or what. She said she will know more tonight as she’s going to be speaking to the city council about it.

Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:32 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MyNameIs940 wrote:
I’m not a citizen (green card holder) but I live in kirkland would I be allowed to join?

if you own firearms - all laws apply, you are just as affected as citizens are, your opinion should be considered as any regulations that the city comes up with will affect you
I'm pretty sure you are allowed to participate in any debate, you just can't vote on the ballot

Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:47 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Since this is a more High-profile thread than the "Totem Lake Townhall" thread, I'll post my synopsis of the forum here...

First things first: The cops were out front cooking hotdogs when I showed up. They know how to tame a riled up jukk0u. Much appreciation for the free grub (and I managed to eat a dog without getting mustard on my shirt!)

Second: The mayor and organizers did a bang up job :AR15firing: of putting on a smooth well-run meeting.

The meeting started with some introductions and usual thank-yous and then the City Attorney was introduced to give a civics lesson about the layers of laws and authorities; i.e. talking about state law preempting city laws, and Federal law being the supreme law...

He clarified by saying how States cannot pass laws allowing that which is illegal under Federal Law...

Someone in the crowd (jukk0u :peep: ) yelled out: "Marijuana!"

I received a dirty look but he continued without otherwise acknowledging the wise-crack.

He also spoke directly about what the state could and couldn't do regarding imposing restrictions on carry (can't restrict them in parks - but you can restrict where in the city guns can be fired... uh...hmmm... they already restrict that, but it made some folks feel less triggered)

And he addressed the constitutionality of instituting a gun and ammunition tax. (it has been ruled OK by the State Supreme court)

So.... then they talked about proposals that the city could consider. We all had been issued handy little electronic voter-fobs and our opinions on the proposals were solicited via the key pads. Results were posted in real time on the huge projector screen.

Proposals included:
-funding for more resource officers (officers dedicated to investigating enforcing gun and drug crimes)
and for more community officers posted in schools.
-funding for mental health professionals who could respond to incidents involving mentally ill, or distressed people
-funding for educational programs in schools, suicide prevention seminars, gun locks and more
and of course they mentioned instituting a gun and ammunition tax...

Of course everyone voted for fully funding everything and anything said to address guns and restrictions and etc. But city resources are finite and (IMO) funding for much of this should be obtained at the state level and our federal senators and representatives should try to obtain federal funding.

And, I bet if the city were to try and fund all of this they will try for a general sales tax increase, and the gun/ammo tax. AND all of the folks who had big eyes looking at the menu, would have little appetite for paying extra taxes...

So then they invited commentary. They segregated comments by topic, so I had to edit my statement on the fly and with each speaker I pared it down in order to not be redundant. This left my comment scant (and since I hadn't rehearsed the delivery was less than stellar). The public comments strayed quite far from what the CITY could do to address "gun safety". My comments weren't much better. Some of the progun speakers were painful to listen to, and others were quite eloquent.

Once I was given a chance to speak it was on the subject of whether existing law was sufficient and how to better enforce them.

I was fairly brief opening with the statement that criminals by definition didn't obey laws and making more laws would accomplish little more than burdening the law abiding.

I did suggest that prosecutors prosecute rather than plea bargain, and judges sentence toward the upper limits of sentencing guidelines and then suggested that the general public should contact their State Reps to get action on that.

Then the city clowncil gave statements, most of which were either outright anti-gun or were classic politician-speak saying how they were going to do "something" real soon, but never getting around to taking a stand on one side or another.

Only one young guy on the clowncil seemed to have common sense (and I don't mean he agreed with me). He re-phrased what he had heard tonight, rather accurately, indicating that he had listened carefully and might give us a fair shake.

After the meeting as I was walking out to the car, a gentleman approached me and offered that he thought I had spoken well. I told him that I felt I had rather fallen apart under scrutiny. He allowed that he knew I felt that way but wanted to assure me that I had done better than I probably felt I had.

Greatly appreciated that!

So the next event is the small Think-tank seminars. The one I am going to attend is on Monday. I will report back.

FJB

Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:15 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Jim: :thumbsup2:

Thanks again for representing, and for letting us know how it went.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The city of Kirkland has reached out to Interlake Sporting Association (which is in Redmond), requesting that we put them in contact with Kirkland gun owners.

It seems like they are doing their due diligence.

Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:05 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah, I was surprised that news of these workshops wasn't offered up at the townhall last night (or maybe I wasn't listening as carefully as I should have?)

anyway. A couple of other observations:

The Punkin' Heads were out in force last night. You know, the folks with orange shirts? The "take action" anti-gunners. The folks that have found it fashionable and trendy to go to a demonstration... Some of them are truly clueless yet others know just enough to be dangerous. They ARE out to ban ALL semi-automatic guns. Just so you know.

My favorite comment of the night, by them, was a woman who insisted that banning assault weapons and high capacity magazines helped reduce suicide rates. (insert image of a person trying to commit suicide with a long gun - it's possible but.... and how many rounds... I mean, if you're not someone who has run awry of the Klinton Machine... how many rounds does it take to commit suicide?)

This suggests to me that there may be some benefit in establishing some kind of visible cue for Pro-gunners to display in a show of numbers (other than camo).

There were way more pro-gunners in the audience than I expected to be there. (applause)

That is all. As you were.

FJB

Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:16 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It baffles me the ignorance on this issue with “assault” rifles. All rifles are used by people to take an average of 5 lives a year in Washington state. Attached are two pictures one to show leading causes of death in Washington (hint the flu kills way more people than people using firearms) and rifle deaths from 2008-2016.ImageImage

Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:57 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Regarding a gun/ammo tax, wouldn't safety programs and education benefit EVERYONE? Why are only gun owners targeted when it comes to raising money to support these efforts.

BTW, gun and ammo purchases are already taxed at several levels from Federal Excise tax on down through State and Local Sales taxes, and lastly the B&O tax paid by the dealer who makes the sale to the consumer. What's happening with all THAT money.

CPL holders pay into a "Range Fund". How many new ranges has the state developed with that money or has it been siphoned off for other social programs?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:07 am
Reply to topic   [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next