Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:50 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Greenwater clean and shoot part 1 sat may 12 10:00am 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm in for some food! You can add my name to the list.

Thu May 10, 2018 7:20 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

:thumbsup2:

MadPick+1
O_Kellogg+1
Citingeight+1
CkinEverett maybe
Clanmccoy
-NS

Nine for breakfast! Who else?

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Thu May 10, 2018 7:51 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

All right, unless anyone else chimes in between now and then . . . whoever gets there first, we'll need a table for nine. thumbsup

I'll be the fine-looking man in the red shirt with a big WaGuns logo on it. :bigsmile:

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Fri May 11, 2018 8:01 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm headed out!! See you guys there. :wagwoot:

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Sat May 12, 2018 6:13 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

We pause now for some late-breaking news . . . .

MadPick+1
O_Kellogg+1
Citingeight+1
CkinEverett maybe
Clanmccoy
-NS
MADrtcw

Ten for breakfast! :bigsmile:

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Sat May 12, 2018 6:17 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Breakfast people, we are in the back room, all the way to your left.

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Sat May 12, 2018 7:01 am

I meant to reach out last night. Unfortunately we're not going to be able to make it out today.

Sat May 12, 2018 9:41 am

I made it out to the clean & shoot today. The area was indeed pretty thrashed and trashed. I've never shot there before so I don't know how it normally looks but it did seem like there was a lot of debris, both in the parking area/shooting line, and also downrange.

We got the area raked up pretty well... I spent a fair amount of time picking at a burn pile in the parking area where someone must have piled all their brass and shotgun shells and got a bonfire going. All the plastic created a funky molten mass. People are rude. Lots of odd metal bits downrange... propane tanks. Yeah, the small camping ones, but a couple of the 20 pounders as well along with a mix of the usual targets - pop cans/bottles, milk jugs, yadda yadda.

I think there were 25'ish people there, plus the forest service workers. We totally packed an open bed heavy duty truck with all of the larger items, and then all the bagged trash filled another large truck. I won't hazard a guess on the tonnage, but it volume wise it was a lot.

This was my first cleanup out there and I have a few notes to myself for future events that I'll share:
- Sunscreen... I'll be sporting a shiny red forehead for a couple weeks. My fault, I should have known better.
- Bring a transfer shovel (straight edge). Raking all the casings into a pile is fine, but for getting that pile into trash bags, a shovel is super helpful. I borrowed one from the FS folks but I'll bring my own in the future
- Bring some 5 gallon plastic buckets... it's super helpful to get the trash shoveled into a bucket and then just dump into a bag. That seemed to work pretty well with the few buckets people brought out.
- Trash bags were supplied, but for all of the brass, you can only fill them so much before it's too heavy and you risk your bag splitting open. It happened a few times... I have some heavy duty barrel liners for projects around the home and they're thicker, like 5-mil. We had a few thick bags but they went quick and maybe should have prioritized those for the heavy brass, using the lighter weight stuff for paper/plastic/aluminum junk.
- Bring hydration... it was hotter than I thought it would be out there today and fortunately I had enough water, but I kind of wish I'd brought more so I wouldn't need to worry about running out.

The clearing still manages to look "dirty" even after things are cleaned, and that's mostly, in my mind, from all the orange from broken clays. It's funny because everything else out there gets sun bleached after just a few days, but those orange clays (many of which were unbroken) will be orange forever. LOL

There was indeed evidence of stupid people doing stupid things in the past... shooting in places they shouldn't have. The FS folks had some ideas to helpfully point people in the right direction so they're not shooting over the road, so we'll see.

I drove up to the gravel pit area before the cleanup to see how it looked. It was VERY busy today, but I was surprised to see that it wasn't as dirty as the clearing was. I mean, yeah, there was trash and brass, but it didn't strike me as being as bad, so that's encouraging.

FYI, the parking area at the clearing is gated off due to a HUGE puddle. They're hoping it'll dry out but for now they didn't want people driving around in the mud and making it worse. So if you go, for now you'll have to park on FS-70 and cart your gear to the clearing. On the bright side, maybe it won't be as busy?

Sat May 12, 2018 4:25 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@mpb - Were you the one in the green truck?

Sat May 12, 2018 4:47 pm

san wrote:
@mpb - Were you the one in the green truck?

Aye, t'was me.

Sat May 12, 2018 4:51 pm

I’d like to thank you all for the hospitality and commitment to respecting the land. I’m new to shooting and felt very comfortable at the pit. Sadly, I made it a bit late to the cleanup but was ablle to lend a hand here there. It is upsetting indeed that some people would trash public places like this. Respect to everyone here for organizing and prioritizing this event.

Also learned a few things about what to bring, my setup is as bare as it comes... it was great to see everyone’s configuration and tools. Looking forward to the next one!

(I’m Martin)

Sat May 12, 2018 5:26 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It was a great day. Complementing mpb. The follow up shooting was kind of intimate with mostly people from the cleaning. But I was so tired that struggled to even keep the rifle up.

More to add to mbp. I went there with too much stuff. Keep it simple. Something to clean stuff around, something to lift it, gloves, water and that’s it. I filled the car with stuff that came back untouched.

Though you guys liked the idea of the lounge area :)

Sat May 12, 2018 5:31 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Another great day out there! :thumbsup2:

Well, mpb did a great job of summarizing the event so I'll save you my usual long and wordy explanation. :bigsmile:

However, mpb did not cover a very important part of the day: Our group breakfast at the Kettle in Enumclaw! Seven of us were there: MADrtcw, O_Kellogg, jorgeu, -NS, Clanmccoy, GlockTherapy and me. Lemme tell ya . . . if you're hungry, this is the place to be. I wolfed down the blueberry muffin as soon as I got it, but here's my half order (yes, that's the half order) of the meat lover's scramble:

I ate about half of it, then cried uncle.

One other photo to share . . . here's O_Kellogg. Owen took it up on himself to patrol the hillside and drag out the long-range garbage, which he was able to do on this hot day because unlike me he's a working man and in good shape. :bigsmile:

A huge thanks to everyone who came out! Not only did we get the area cleaned up, but it was great to have a chance to meet some new folks, and put some lead downrange. thumbsup

P.S. Did anyone else experience that time warp this afternoon? I got home, took a shower and then sat on the couch. The next thing I knew, it was about 2.5 hours later. Weird. :whatthe:

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Sat May 12, 2018 5:43 pm

jorgeu wrote:
It was a great day. Complementing mpb. The follow up shooting was kind of intimate with mostly people from the cleaning. But I was so tired that struggled to even keep the rifle up.

More to add to mbp. I went there with too much stuff. Keep it simple. Something to clean stuff around, something to lift it, gloves, water and that’s it. I filled the car with stuff that came back untouched.

Though you guys liked the idea of the lounge area :)

Your seating arrangement did look comfy, and if I had the wife with me and made more a day of it, that's definitely the way to do it. Kick back in the shade to cool off here and there.

I thought it'd be cool to bring a grill and do burgers, but in hindsight that seems like too much work to do after just spending X amount of time cleaning. LOL

Sat May 12, 2018 5:48 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

mpb wrote:
Your seating arrangement did look comfy, and if I had the wife with me and made more a day of it, that's definitely the way to do it. Kick back in the shade to cool off here and there.

I thought it'd be cool to bring a grill and do burgers, but in hindsight that seems like too much work to do after just spending X amount of time cleaning. LOL

I agree with all of the above.

If someone feels motivated to cook for one of these, that would be awesome . . . but for me, I'm too frickin' wiped to even think about anything that requires more effort than AM/PM.

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Sat May 12, 2018 5:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next