Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:11 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 What is the legal age for taking ones own child to an open s 

I am having issues with an ex. Does anyone know the answer to this? Sorry, What is the legal age to take ones own child to an open shooting range?

Last edited by jampat13303 on Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:34 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

open S what???

Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:44 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.042

Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:44 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

toys in the toybox wrote:
open S what???

Lol!

cmica seems to know....

Anyway, welcome to the forum :thumbsup2:

Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:47 pm

But that aint it....... seven year olds can and have completed the hunter ed program and you know there are some seven year old competing. It depends on the maturity of the individual child.

Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:58 pm
Site Moderator / In Memoriam
Site Moderator / In Memoriam

:wagwoot:

Greetings and Welcome to WaGuns.

Where an EX is involved, sometimes communication with them will be necessary
to stay out of "hot water".

cootduster

I'm not old.

I'm just no longer young !!!

Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:55 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If it helps, I started taking my nieces and nephews target shooting when they were about five years old. Bought a couple of them 10/22's when they were 16.

Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:10 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

cmica wrote:

That RCW only applies to those under 18 who are shooting by themselves. In this case the OP is clearly asking if there is an RCW age limit for him to take his kids to the range to shoot.
The answer is there is no specific age.

THOUGH, as a hunting Ed instructor. Most of the kids we have that are under 9 generally have issues with firearms handling. 1 they are to big to handle and control for these younger kids. (Not always but way more often than not)
2. Most kids under 10 and maybe even 12 don't have the maturity or the responsibility to take it seriously enough. (By no means is that a blanket statement. We have taught kids under that age who were safer and more knowledgeable than a bunch of the adults in the class!)
3. Keep it simple with kids AND NEVER load more than 1 round at a time.
4. Make sure only one kid is shooting at a time and if you are there with your kids make sure there is an adult available to watch the ones not shooting so you can dedicate your attention to the one who is. (Assuming there is more than one.)

As to the Ex. How about getting a third party to "teach" so its not you. Might smooth the waters a bit. I.e. officially someone else is there to direct the range time. Unofficially you are but we don't need to mention that! :wink05:

So haven't seen how old the kids are. What ages are we talking about here?
BTW if you haven't run them through a hunters Ed class do so. It's not that hard and the class can be great for teaching the basics. Might smooth the Ex's concerns as well.

Proverbs 27:12 -- “A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions. The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.”
Need Long term Food or Survival Supplies, I have extras, Grab the Supplies_Available.pdf. Prices Quoted are close to my actual cost:
https://backupcomputing.workplace.datto.com/filelink/6af06-883bf7e-31d469c0e1-2
Link corrected 1/30/2021.

The prudent Wagunner trains and prepares to defend themselves and their families, friends, and neighbors. They also are prepared to feed, shelter, and provide aid as well.
Danger is coming and may already be here, how prepared are you? Click the link above for lots of good info to get started.

Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:32 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Col_Temp wrote:
cmica wrote:

That RCW only applies to those under 18 who are shooting by themselves. In this case the OP is clearly asking if there is an RCW age limit for him to take his kids to the range to shoot.

THOUGH, as a hunting Ed instructor. Most of the kids we have that are under 9 generally have issues with firearms handling. 1 they are to big to handle and control for these younger kids. (Not always but way more often than not)
2. Most kids under 10 and maybe even 12 don't have the maturity or the responsibility to take it seriously enough. (By no means is that a blanket statement. We have taught kids under that age who were safer and more knowledgeable than a bunch of the adults in the class!)
4. Make sure only one kid is shooting at a time and if you are there with your kids make sure there is an adult available to watch the ones not shooting so you can dedicate your attention to the one who is. (Assuming there is more than one.)

As to the Ex. How about getting a third party to "teach" so its not you. Might smooth the waters a bit. I.e. officially someone else is there to direct the range time. Unofficially you are but we don't need to mention that! :wink05:

BTW if you haven't run them through a hunters Ed class do so. It's not that hard and the class can be great for teaching the basics. Might smooth the Ex's concerns as well.

Solid advice right there

To the original question: There is no legal age limit

I've taken lots of kids shooting, or let them shoot while we were out on the farm doing other things

Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:25 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Son started shooting early, bb gun, pellet rifle and 22 pistol. Graduated to shooting my glock 23 when he was 5 years old.

Now he buys his own guns! :thumbsup2:

Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:34 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RocketScott wrote:
Col_Temp wrote:
cmica wrote:

Solid advice right there

To the original question: There is no legal age limit

I've taken lots of kids shooting, or let them shoot while we were out on the farm doing other things

I'd like to add that it's all about your parenting plan - as the one who unfortunately had to go through this, i recall it is up to the parent who has the custody at the time to engage in what activities.
as long as the activity is not illegal or extremely dangerous the custodial parent has the authority on what activity the child participates in
it's kind of like driving - if it's not prohibited by the (parenting plan) rules - it's allowed :thumbsup2:
if the ex has an issue with it - i'd strongly suggest to have her to bring it up in court and have her ass handed to her as shooting ranges are, by far, least dangerous place to be, less than driving down the road, less than being at the fair, etc...

Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:44 pm

I want to say my son was about 5 when I first took him to an actual range to shoot. Probably the best range time I've ever had and I only took a few shots to site in my hunting rifle. The rest of the time was letting him shoot his grandpa's old .22 and teaching him how to do so.

Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:56 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My kids all started shooting when they were 4 or 5 years old.
My grandson is seven he has been shooting since he was 4 years old. He shoots almost every weekend and shoots 22 rifle & handguns. He shoots 410 shotgun, watered down 38spl & 357mag, 222 Remington rifle, 223 Remington rifle and the 7.62x39 SKS.
He loads them shoots them and hits his target with them. I dont have to babysit him when we go shooting.
It all depends on the kids mental development and responsibility.
I trust my grandson more then most people I shoot with. Plus he is a better shot then they are.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

At the Range in Yakima the min age is 7 with parental supervision. Age is not an accurate predictor of ability to follow firearm safety rules. I've booted some teens who were not ready/mature enough to follow the rules. We start adults who are new to firearms with single-round only, not just kids.

Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:28 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Necro thread....:zombie: I wonder what happened with the OP, this was posted on April 14th and he last visited April 15th.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next