Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:17 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 What is the legal age for taking ones own child to an open s 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

having been through this with the ex. Do yourself a favor and enroll in an NRA Range Safety Officer course. Being a certified RSO alleviates the guns are evil prejudice that is so common in the court system today. It is a one day course, and well worth the time and the cost.

Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:38 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

dan10mmman wrote:
having been through this with the ex. Do yourself a favor and enroll in an NRA Range Safety Officer course. Being a certified RSO alleviates the guns are evil prejudice that is so common in the court system today. It is a one day course, and well worth the time and the cost.

Good advice, but he hasn't been back since April 15th the day after his original post.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:43 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So the real answer to all this is based on you the parent, the child and then the situation (divorced, what type of range, what type of shooting).

Each public/member range have their own rules. Some do specify age but they all state that if a child is shooting that an adult be by their side at all times.

So look and ask your specific range before you head out there. Each one is different. I have taken my son since the age of 4. Started on a CO2 Rifle that FHA’s complete function of safety, mag release, etc.

Side note:

Everyone matures at different times. So each child should be evaluated by their own merit.

Also many other factors come into play.
1) size of child
2) firearms appropriate for that child (size and caliber)
3) exposure to firearm safety rules
4) firearms available for that child. Did you buy specific firearms for them or are they using what you have. Length of pull and magazine height comes into play.

A flush 10 round mag in a 10/22 is different for a small shooter than a 25 banana mag or AR style mag for other firearms.

My son is now 6 and has quite the exposure. Loves shoooting and I thank god that Ammo prices have come down. He shoots like a machine Gun now. He loves shooting. When we do go he is the only one shooting. My focus is on him and nothing else.

Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2